What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Outstanding training by Bruce Bohannon

andrewtac

Well Known Member
I am in the process of buying a really nice RV8 (hopefully if all goes well I will close by the end of the week). I needed some transition training and Bruce was recommended. I have only about 3 hours of tail wheel, Beaver, Otter and a Cub all about an hour each.

Some background on me, not to brag on myself as I feel a bit of it was timing on my part, but to qualify my remarks on Bruce.

I began flight school in the T-34C as a young naval aviator to be, went to the T-45C, then flew Harriers. I had a boat deployment, dirt deployment, racked up the quals and went on to be an instructor at the RAG. From there I went to Naval Test Pilot School; prior to starting TPS I got some training from PIT USAF IPs in the T-38, and some T6 training from the Navy. At TPS I got to fly things from a mig15 to a super hornet, some tail draggers, gliders, helos, warbirds, etc. By far some of the best training I had was at TPS, we got to go touch airplanes and really learn about aero, stuff that wasn't typically taught in a text book or a lecture hall. Went on to test the F-35; trained by some very experienced test pilots. Got trained in the Legacy and Super hornet by the Navy. I left the Marine Corps early, went to American got trained and flew the bus for a bit; then to the guard to fly RC-26, received initial training on that from Flight Safety and more from the guard; now I am a Flight Test Captain at United typed in the Bus, 737, and 756.

So onto Bruce. I asked for transition training in the RV8, but needed a tailwheel endorsement as well. So today we started in his cub. Prior to that he insisted on giving me extensive training on the ground. Through the years of training, I knew to approach with an open mind. When I pulled up I saw on older gentlemen, looked like he might have been someone who had been bailing hay or working on a fence line. His place wasn't anything fancy (but I'd love to have his setup with all planes included). I got a handshake and welcome, then we walked into the hangar and I really can't tell you when precisely the ground school started. We started with some casual conversation about my background, some other things, and it was probably 3 to 5 minutes after "class" had officially started before I realized he was teaching me. All the things I have been taught about how to instruct and getting folks attention, get them interested he did so eloquently to me that I didn't even notice he had done it and had my undivided attention; it didn't even seem like he tried. I kept wanting to open my backpack and get my notebook out to write all the good information down, but I wasn't willing to miss anything he was saying.

So onto what I think was 2.5-3 hours of ground school; I know I showed up at 0900 and it was about 1300 when I left and we flew for an hour. I couldn't tell you how long ground training actually was, it felt like 30 minutes at best; again because I couldn't stop listening I wanted more. Didn't feel short because of content, just his delivery and method of explaining things made sense. I am not the expert in aviation; but I have had a bit of training and experience, he was dead on accurate with his theory and science. He explained things with physics and aerodynamics, but in a way that was easy to understood with no fluff. His instruction on how things worked was as good if not better than some of the ground training I had at Test Pilot School; far superior to any other military or civilian ground school I have had. Had he not told me his level of education, based on his instruction I would have assumed he had been to at least grad school, instructed for most of his life, and been involved with some higher level flight training program.

Onto the flight in the cub. He has a nice setup for the cub. It was a bit of a gusty day. Instruction in the plane was also outstanding. He used great commands, kept my attention, gave correction when needed, and pointed out when things were going well to boost confidence. It wasn't long and things clicked and were going well. I still had a tendency to over correct some and work harder than I needed to, as he told me I would. But he kept me improving until we were done.

Debrief was also outstanding. Covered what I did well, covered where I could improve. He also showed how humble he was again, and took credit for my over controlling and said he should have said some different things in ground school.

Bruce is a very talented and smart man (though he will never admit it), and well worth the trip (luckily he is 45 minutes from me). I would have taken vacation time, paid for the plane ticket and hotel knowing what I know now. I haven't even got in the 8 yet, plan is Wednesday, but I can tell already this is probably going to be one of if not the best place it get RV8 transition training.

I'll update as I get more training....

Funny -- when you said, "Beaver, Otter, Cub" I just knew immediately that you went through NAVY TPS at PAX.

My good friend Bill Shoemaker ("Doc") had a similar NAVY career, instructed in T-45, flew Hornets, Super Hornets, went through TPS, got to do a flight eval on the SAAB Gripen, Did the F-18F SAR integration at China Lake, was an aerodynamics instructor at TPS. XO and CO at the RAG, then a stint in Germany at a desk. He talks occasionally about the training experience at TPS.

You will love the -8. Be aware the rudder pedals are quicker than a Cub or Citabria. So get over the over-control bit on those first.

Last edited:
Andrew, great description of ?working with Bruce.? I arrived as a low time rusty pilot with NONE of your impressive qualifications, and found the ground and air time equally valuable. Bruce can be demanding (at least of a ham handed low time guy), but got me a tailwheel checkout in the cub, safely landing the 8, and confident in my RV6 in surprisingly few hours. Flexible, capable, knows how to do things the right way AND why. Highly recommended.
Peter

Me too!

I met Bruce a few years ago at Sun-n-Fun. I was wandering around and ran into him while he was ?manning? the Teen Flight RV-12 projects, while Ernie was away. We talked at length about his experiences and successes with the Flyin? Tiger project and I was immersed. I was pulled in the same way you were and was totally entertained by his stories and experiences.

I look forward to getting some front seat RV-8 time with Bruce ? and have tried to book with him on two separate occasions this year. So far, the ?powers that be? have stood in our way. As recently as last month, he had to cancel our appointment because the grass strip was not ?RV-8 flyable? with all of the recent rain in the area.

Thanks for the detailed review, Mark ? I anxiously await the next installment! :D

Just remember, when he asks about your kids or family, your answer to any personal question is "keep it straight"! People who have flown with Bruce know what I mean!

Did my twe and transition with Bruce. Great experience. I've recommended him to a couple folks looking to get their private. 2nd best part of my day there was the cold beer and stories after.

Funny -- when you said, "Beaver, Otter, Cub" I just knew immediately that you went through NAVY TPS at PAX.

My good friend Bill Shoemaker ("Doc") had a similar NAVY career, instructed in T-45, flew Hornets, Super Hornets, went through TPS, got to do a flight eval on the SAAB Gripen, Did the F-18F SAR integration at China Lake, was an aerodynamics instructor at TPS. XO and CO at the RAG, then a stint in Germany at a desk. He talks occasionally about the training experience at TPS..

If you see him, ask him to describe Jay Jay to you; Bruce teaches like Jay Jay.

Keeping it straight, yes that is the answer to all questions in life.

Today was my intro to the 8. I had a little hiccup with my timing today, based on some family problems. Bruce was very accommodating. We did ground school first, I left and was able to come back.

Ground school was again very similar to the cub as far as techniques and teaching. Most of the theory for tail wheel was covered, but we had some differences to cover. He made everything seem like common sense as we went along; explanations were spot on as to why things were different.

The flight was amazing, so happy I am buying an eight. The visibility is similar to a Harrier. The stick forces and behavior of the airplane are incredible; very enjoyable to fly. We spent a few minutes up and away, and quickly went into the pattern. I can't remember how many landings, maybe 20. Again, Bruce's instructional techniques were great. If I need a little help he was there, but gave my enough rope to figure some things out on my own. I woke the demon a few times initially on the roll out with some over corrections (and exercising as he would say) in the beginning, but I sorted it out. His encouragement when I did well was motivating. I can't remember the last time I focused so hard on trying to do well. I am naturally type A, like any red blooded attack pilot; but more so I wanted to show Bruce I could do better every time. He also was firm when I made mistakes, and let me know. He wasn't about to let bad habits develop. When I started to get proficient at something, he moved on to hone another skill. He didn't let me get bored, he was always helping me improve. I did however forget the number one rule of being a fighter or attack pilot, sounding cool on the radio was not happening. I had put all my focus on flying and it just wasn't happening. None military VFR traffic calls are one of my weaknesses, I will study them; it was laughable. Bruce got a kick out of it, but was more concerned with my flying. Full stop for the short field back at his place was pretty quick and exciting, it was nice to see the performance of the airplane to finish off the sortie; the 8 is impressive.

The stories....listening to the stories is almost as good as flying. They are all entertaining, but more so it is often a glimpse into his education as an aviator. His experience was in the field, not in the class room. His natural ability to take all those things in and analyze and learn from them has seemed to do him well. His lessons learned file has to be miles long, and any of that information he is willing to give is worth its weight in gold. Don't let him fool you, he is brilliant.

I was doing my training with Bruce in January. As all the others I had a great time! He is really a great Instructor. As I won`t be finished til next year I may visit him again. Ist just pure fun to fly / learn / listen

Finished up with Bruce a bit ago.

One of the flights was on a low weather cold windy day. The conversation went something like...."We can go, but your money might be better spent on a nicer day". I told him, I'd rather fly in the **** weather with an instructor and maximize training with him back there. It ended up be great training, it was challenging. We did a bit a LBX, wind down the runway about 20 knots. After lunch to Houston SW, those strong gusty winds were now 90 degrees off. It was a challenge, but ultimately keeping it straight and making 3 points made it workable.

We did a bit of engine failure training, and some other EPs. We did the required wheel training, for that one day I am flying with winds down the runway gusting to 50 kts. I am fully convinced 3 points and keeping it straight are the keys to survival (not exactly the way he presents it, but we'll keep it family friendly).

After he blessed me, he took me to pick up my 8 (@ CXO). Then I chased him back to Pearland tso he could watch his work. I did a handful of landings with him there and he got to see his training at work. Tended to flare hi, still do. After a top off of gas, I took it home to Poly and the 24' wide runway.

I have been flying a few times now since then. I can three point the 8 with no weight in the back. I did have the tail pop up a time or two, complained to Bruce about the cg. He said had the stick been aft the tail would have stayed down, yes Bruce you are right. The cg is different and I do need to be more focused on keeping the stick planted on roll out. I do put 75 lbs back there for ballast now, but still focus on the stick aft. At some point I'll leave the ballast out. I have had two greasers. Generally when I don't flare hi, things work out pretty well now. I have had a couple go arounds since training with Bruce (weird gusty winds), probably could have saved it; but Bruce also instilled safety and to be more proud of a flyable aircraft than a botched landing and a broke plane.

Overall highly recommend Bruce, best instructor I have had. Well worth every penny, good training is at least as valuable as insurance if not more valuable. I plan on going back at least yearly for him to give me a tune up. I am sure I will develop some bad habits. Also, I'd like to get some more dead stick/EP training with him.

Late addition... Forgot something else he did. One thing Bruce talked about early on was RV8s are all different and he tries to prepare students for their 8. We spoke about this during the ground school portion and also while flying. When he came to pick me up to take me to CXO, we did a bit of talking about his plane again and some of its unique behaviors; for example his tail wheel lays back and has chains (I think this would be positive caster, either way it makes it more stable and helps the wheel want to stay straight; if you have ever aligned a car for drag racing you probably realize what I am talking about). There were other examples. When we got to my plane and he was looking it over we spoke of some differences and talked about some possible differences in flight and ground handling characteristics. This was very similar again to test pilot school instruction; use past experience along with an understanding of physics and aerodynamics to try to predict possible behaviors. It might seem small, but this is huge in flying unknown airplanes and something we spent many hours on at test pilot school. If you can predict your enemy you might loose a fight but will be able to win the war.

Last edited:
RV8 flare 'help'

"I have been flying a few times now since then. I can three point the 8 with no weight in the back. I did have the tail pop up a time or two, complained to Bruce about the cg. He said had the stick been aft the tail would have stayed down, yes Bruce you are right. The cg is different and I do need to be more focused on keeping the stick planted on roll out. I do put 75 lbs back there for ballast now, but still focus on the stick aft. At some point I'll leave the ballast out. I have had two greasers."

You can use 1/2 flap to help keep the tail down, or use a bit of power with full flap - both approaches would use the same speed as the full flap approach.

Trim the ship 'on-speed' - don't use hand pressure to hold your speed.

Both of these procedures will bring the nose up on short final - be ready for that. And - be ready to go around if you bounce too high.

Both events are fwd CG procedures, as the PAX or ballast that would help to get - and keep - the tail down are missing. So, those procedures have to be practiced solo, and without ballast.

Why would you need this info? Might be you dropped a PAX off and had to 'get it right' upon your return.

BTW heavy crosswind procedure (15KT or more) calls for less than full flap too - and get rid of the flap ASAP once on the ground and slowing. I hope your flap switch is on the stick!

You might run all this by Bruce too - he knows your capabilities. Tell him I said Hey!

Thanks, just saw this. I do find half flaps easier or carrying some power full flaps easier. I will practice the flaps up method next time, it is on the stick.

I just finished five days with Budd Davisson (see blogspot blog link in my signature). Bruce Bohannon and Mike Seager are next on my must-train-with list. Even though my RV-8 won't be flying until next fall at the earliest, I may call Bruce soon and get on his list. Based on what I know of Bruce, and what I'm reading here, I'm really looking forward to it.

Back