What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final consistency of sikaflex?

dwranda

Well Known Member
I am at the point of gluing the canopy on and did a test piece a couple days ago. I am testing to see how it works in my current temps. After a couple of days it seems to be kind of rubbery. Is this the right outcome? I was expecting it to be more of a solid. Thanks!!

It is somewhat rubbery as its normal cured state. If it is sticky Ir really stretchy, it didn?t cure right. You need to follow the application instructions acceptable temp range in any case.

The chart shows it could take days to cure at 50 degrees. I have a few days in the 50s with some high humidity coming up so hoping to git er done then. After it becomes very stable I will be taking it in the house to finish up the sika.

Yup

It is pretty rubber like after curing. I let canopy sit for 2 weeks after applying. Remember if you want to smooth it out during the application do it right away. After only 15 min it will be too tacky to smooth nicely.

It is kind of like RTV when it is cured only a lot tougher. If you do not follow the directions all bets are off. You need to follow them.

It does sand pretty easily once fully cured. I used it instead of fiberglass for the windshield fairing on my tipup -7, and it was much nicer to work with than fiberglass.

Charlie

It does sand pretty easily once fully cured. I used it instead of fiberglass for the windshield fairing on my tipup -7, and it was much nicer to work with than fiberglass.

Charlie

+1 to the sanding. 500 grit wet-sand makes a very nice matte finish.

Not a great picture, but you can see how smooth the sikaflex came out. That is a result of the sanding.

FP30092018A0001N.jpg

Back