What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gasolator

YellaDawg

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Maybe I missed it in the plans, but I don't recall a gasolator installation. Is anyone installing one, where are you locating it?

The RV-14 was specifically designed to use fuel injected engines.
Fuel injected engines don't typically (in RV's at least) have a gascolator in the fuel system (except for meeting the requirement imposed in Canada).
The fuel system that is part of the kit does have a fine mesh inline fuel filter.

Gascolator

Hi Scott ...
Just beginning to work on the fuel system in my recently acquired 9a project. The kit came with an Airflow Performance pump and filter ... so 2 questions ...

1. do I need a gascolator?

2. when I built my 2 previous RVs (9a and a 7) I used fuel-lube / easyturn for sealant on all of my fuel fittings. But that was over 10 years ago ...

In your opinion, is this still the common practice, or is Locktite 565 a better choice?

Thanks Scott!
Best, Tom

Hi Scott ...
Just beginning to work on the fuel system in my recently acquired 9a project. The kit came with an Airflow Performance pump and filter ... so 2 questions ...

1. do I need a gascolator?

2. when I built my 2 previous RVs (9a and a 7) I used fuel-lube / easyturn for sealant on all of my fuel fittings. But that was over 10 years ago ...

In your opinion, is this still the common practice, or is Locktite 565 a better choice?

Thanks Scott!
Best, Tom

Are you using an engine that would be compatible with the Airflow Perf. pump (a fuel injected engine)?
If so, then the post I made earlier in this thread would apply (no gascolator would be used).

A lot of people have had success using fuel lube to seal pipe threads, but it is technically not a sealant and not what I would recommend.
There are specific recommendations in Section 5 of the construction manual. Loctite 565 (567 as well) is one of them and is a good choice.
A major benefit it has over fuel lube is the PTFE in the sealant. It helps prevent galling in situations where an aluminum fitting is threaded into an aluminum housing which is very beneficial if you ever have to remove/replace the fitting for some reason.

Back