What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Fuselage Fixture

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
Early in the fuselage construction the plans suggest mounting the fuse on its side so that the bottom rivets can easily be done. A board of the proper thickness is placed between the main spar pieces and this is then secured to the bench, sawhorse etc.
Over the years I have seen many fixtures that are used to turn the aircraft on its side for ease of working on the inside. Typically they make a rig that bolts onto the firewall engine mounts with another rig on the tail. I have always wanted to do this but did not really want to spend the time to make such a fixture.
The light bulb went on today and I took the same piece of hardwood that I had used in the spar earlier and built a truss fixture to hold the aircraft on its side.
The other end of the fuse is supported in a simple cradle that is screwed down to a picnic table. There is very little weight on the tail at this point, and a piece of styrofoam protects the surface from the wooden cradle.
The truss itself required 4 pieces of 2 by 4 by 8' and four bolts at the main corners. Screws hold the rest together. I used the same bolts to fasten it to the spar that I had used previously.
The top of the truss is 30" off the ground and this puts everything in the cockpit within reach. Total cost $15. When was the last time you purchased something for an airplane for $15!!! the base of the truss is just shy of 8' long.
I had two friends come over to help me roll it over, the structure is starting to get some heft to it.
This fixture is very solid and I am quite comfortable with the stability. Total time, including a trip to the lumber yard, four hours.

sgreh0.jpg

Back