What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trailing Edge Break

09-09, Step 6, Rev 1 says to break the trailing edges of E-00901A and E-00901B, which is the top and bottom skin of the LEFT elevator. Does anyone know why you would not want to break the top and bottom skins of the RIGHT elevator E-00900A and E-00900B as well at this step?

Here is the link to Rev 1. See page 09-09, Step 6.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-14/09.pdf

Thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:
You would want to. I assume the plans are like the -10 where the left is shown and you mirror for the right. Perhaps I'm missing a part of your question..?

I would think you would want to, certainly before you dimple the trailing edge rivet holes in the very next step, Step 7. But for some reason, Step 6 only calls out the top and bottom skins for the left side, and omitted the skins for the right side. However, in Step 7, they called out the skins for both sides. Just a little bit confusing.

I think this is likely just an omission, and once I can confirm that, I will add it to the Gotcha's spreadsheet.

Are you sure they have not stated at the beginning of the chapter "only the left side is shown and the right needs to be done unless stated otherwise". Both sides need to be broken.

I am not seeing any such statement in this chapter. However, I agree, both sides need to be broken prior to dimpling. So that is what I shall do.
Thanks all,
Chuck

I just looked back and did not see it there also, just missed or assuming we will know by now.

Hi guys, hopefully I do not stirr confusion with this comment, possibly due to my bad English. If "break the edge" means slightly bend along the trailing edge of the skins (see section 5.10 "lap joints") in my case this was not necessary because Vans delivered the skins pre-bent. Was this not you case? The only skins I had to break myself so far where R-00901-R-1 and R-00901-L-1for the rudder assembly.

Hi guys, hopefully I do not stirr confusion with this comment, possibly due to my bad English. If "break the edge" means slightly bend along the trailing edge of the skins (see section 5.10 "lap joints") in my case this was not necessary because Vans delivered the skins pre-bent. Was this not you case? The only skins I had to break myself so far where R-00901-R-1 and R-00901-L-1for the rudder assembly.

Mine were also pre-bent on both the left and right side. Can anyone confirm that earlier kits were not already bent?

On the elevator there is already a pre-bent section to allow the trailing edge to nest inside. I have never heard of Van's doing the edge break. The edge break will be just aft of the holes for the trailing edge. The bend that Van's does is just forward of the TE holes.

On the elevator there is already a pre-bent section to allow the trailing edge to nest inside. I have never heard of Van's doing the edge break. The edge break will be just aft of the holes for the trailing edge. The bend that Van's does is just forward of the TE holes.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Back