What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Windows Glassing In

Lynnb

Well Known Member
Just curious if the main reason for glassing in the windows is to prevent paint cracking, or is it necessary to encase the windows to prevent a loss in flight. I've installed my windows with Lord Adhesive, and want to wait on the fiberglass around the windows till it's flying and ready for paint, so maybe a year after first flight. Anyone see any holes in this plan?

Thanks,
Lynn

There is no reason you can't defer that.

In hindsight, if I got a do-over, I wouldn't glass mine in. Lots of work and doesn't look (IMO) any better than a neat non-glassed installation where the builder made clean cuts on the plexi and left a uniform (but miniscule) gap around the glass.

I too thought the cracking was only cosmetic until I lost the passenger side window in flight! 😳 Mine are glassed over now!

Do it now.

First fill in the gap between the glass the the canopy top with micro. Sand flush after it sets. Don?t forget to sand the glass to prep.

Then a couple of bids over the glass extending to the edge of the adhesive, and an inch or so on the canopy. Use Peel Ply over the fiberglass.

After it sets, add a skim coat of micro to feather in the edges.

Just micro in the gap will crack the paint. The fiberglass eliminates this as well as adds strength to keep the glass in place.

Carl

So this seems like an RV10 "fatal flaw" that could truly be fatal. Has anyone gone as far using screws and nuts to secure the windows - similar to the rear window installation on the RV14?

So this seems like an RV10 "fatal flaw" that could truly be fatal. Has anyone gone as far using screws and nuts to secure the windows - similar to the rear window installation on the RV14?

Not a fatal flaw, just another builder decision on what they are comfortable with doing. I suspect screws would create stress points for cracks if not done right.

Simple to glass over for the extra margin of safety, and eliminate the paint cracking problem as well.

Carl

After I lost the window that had the “cosmetic” cracks on the corners, I glassed in the opposite door and the replacement in the door that lost the window and had both doors repainted. Paint shop said they didn’t want to try to paint the back windows to blend in with no seam line on the fuse nearby like the doors. So on the rears which also had some cracks I drilled with a plexi bit oversize, countersunk the plexi and used stainless tinnermans,#6 screws, nylocks on the inside at the rear window and I have a full interior with trim around the inside of the windows that virtually hides the nuts. 3 screws per window at the “corners”
. No issues in 2 years, YMMV

Back