What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hoist by canopy bow?

Wunderon

Well Known Member
I'd like to put it on the gear and most convenient would be to hoist the fuselage by the canopy bow using an engine hoist. Seems plenty robust and would be easier solo than blocking under the spar box. Think that's ok?

Thanks!
dave

I would not risk a broken canopy for an easy location to lift. Just use the motor hoist on the motor mount and avoid an expensive canopy repair.

Ah, no canopy or engine , might work OK then.

This is one of those instances where it's a good idea to sit back and think for a bit. What was the canopy bow designed to do? In what direction is it designed to take loads, and at what point in the flight profile?

I'm no aero engineer however I think most of the experts here will likely agree the canopy bow is intended to take some aero loads from the windshield and then the ultimate end-of-life crush load to protect occupants. This would lead one to believe its mounting is not designed to withstand an upward pulling load associated with hoisting the aircraft.

Again, just a guess, and sometimes we get away with doing things we shouldn't. Still, risking damage just seems like a low odds game.

Think I'll put the motor mount on and use that.

That's the best choice, and what I used with an engine hoist to move it around.

I did have the canoe upside down with the gear in the air to line everything up. For much of the construction I had a swivel stand mounted to the motor mount locations which allows the fuselage to be rotated as needed.

Re-arranged the garage by Andy Karmy, on Flickr

If you don't have the motor hung, throw a 2" nylon strap around a convenient bulkhead. Use a spreader bar at the top, if it makes you more comfortable. If it's just the fuselage (no wings), you should just about be able to lift it by hand; the hoist is just for safety.

Lift

What's wrong with a 2"x6" spanning the center section spar carry through and a floor jack?
I built a frame for my 2 ton aluminum racing jack specifically for this so I can lift the fuse.

Larry,

I've used similar techniques, after the motor was hung, without the gear mounted. But if he needs to go high enough to mount the gear, I know my floor jack won't get the job done. :)

What's wrong with a 2"x6" spanning the center section spar carry through and a floor jack?
I built a frame for my 2 ton aluminum racing jack specifically for this so I can lift the fuse.

I think that is a good idea and considered it, but the center section is wired with cables, so too tight for me.

I need to get the motor mount on anyway. Kind of at the point where really need the engine to continue, so thought I would work on the wheel pants and fairings while waiting on it.

Thanks all for the great suggestions. What a resource VAF is.

dave

Back