What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust heat

Ron B.

Well Known Member
On my way home from OSH I noticed that the back of my legs were getting warm so I felt around and noticed the control stick enclosure was warm to the touch. The tunnel is cool, fuel valve is cool , just the control stick closure under where the boot is attached. I have Flightline's carpeting so perhaps the floor where your feet sit is hot but insulated by the carpet. I'm also noticing a tan color on the white steps on the lower 2/3 portion. My feet are not getting hot so I'm fairly sure it's not my heat boxes leaking.
I'm wandering if I need a small deflector on my exhaust pipe?

Ron, do you have an IO390 with the Vans exhaust through the tunnel, or a Superior XP400 with 2 pipes, and if so, in the tunnel or below the floor boards like an RV 7?

I have a Superior with pipes pointed below the floor boards. I haven't noticed heat, but have some exhaust drumming, particularly at high power settings, and was wondering about downward diverters.

...was wondering about downward diverters.
Not an RV, but on my plane, those diverters really lowered the noise in the cockpit. As a side benefit, the belly of the plane isn't dirty all the time, either. I recommend the "down-turns".

I have the standard Van's set up. I0-390 and Van's exhaust. Talking about Van's exhaust, I have two exhaust pipes that touch each other just under the # 4 cylinder. I separated them but they are now touching again. I'm wandering if there is a way to keep them from touching?

I also have the same problem with #2 / #4 exhaust wanting to touch each other. My aircraft is a 14A IO-390 with vans exhaust also. What I did is make an additional exhaust hanger, mounting it further forward and attaching it to the engine mount via an adel clamp. So far so good. By the way I talked to Gus at OSH and he said he had not heard of this issue.

One other issue, I have a exhaust leak at the slip joint off of #2 cylinder. Has any one else experienced this on their 14 vans exhaust.

I looked for a place to mount a hanger but nothing good in my location. Any chance you have a photo?

Back