What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PCU5000 PG service letter

woxofswa

Well Known Member
According to my propeller shop the makers of the PCU5000 prop governors just issued a service letter for replacement of their balance weight assemblies exactly the same as MT.

AT 2016-1

Not exactly true

I spoke directly with them today. They have not ever had a failure of flyweights except on one aerobatic airplane routinely running at 3000 RPM's. They have developed a new flyweight retaining system, and they are sending me the SB , which I will attach as soon as I get it.

Vic

Service Letter

As you can see, the old parts will continue to be used and overhauled until parts are no longer available.

No panic necessary. :)

Vic

Aero Technologies, LLC
SERVICE LETTER AT2016-1
October 20, 2016
TO: Owners, Operators and Aero Technologies Service Centers.
SUBJECT: Flyweight design change.
MODEL AFFECTED: All PCU5000 and PCU5000X
SERVICE MANUAL AFFECTED: Maintenance/Overhaul Manual AT1431299 Rev. 2
This service information is to be added to the appropriate Aero Technologies Maintenance Manual until the next manual revision is released.
NEW FLYWEIGHT DESIGN TO REPLACE CURRENT DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
1) Current Flyweight assembly part number AT1438426 is still able to be overhauled until the supply of Safety Spring part number AT1430591 is exhausted.
2) New Flyweight Assembly part number AT1438504 (drawing page 2).
a) AT1430685, Flyweight head
b) AT1430522, Flyweight (requires 2)
c) AT4420170, Needle (requires 2)
d) AT4402020, pin (requires 4)

AT1438504 is a direct replacement for the AT1438426 Flyweight assembly and does not change fit, form, or function of the PCU5000 governor.

APPROVAL: FAA approval has been obtained on technical data in this publication that affects product type design.
To obtain satisfactory results, procedures specified in this service information must be accomplished in accordance with accepted methods and prevailing government regulations. Aero Technologies cannot be responsible for the quality of work performed in accomplishing this service information.
Aero Technologies, LLC
595 Telser Road
Lake Zurich, IL 60047

>>They have not ever had a failure of flyweights except on one aerobatic airplane routinely running at 3000 RPM's.<<

The MT Service letter came out with a note about applicability to engines with high compression pistons and electronic ignition. That was ridiculous because zero of the recent failures had either of those.

When I conversed with MT about where they got the "high compression pistons and electronic ignition" idea from, their answer was that there had been one other failure (which several of us suspected) and this one was on an engine that was on an "aerobatic aircraft with a high performance engine".

I would be willing to bet that the "previous failure" that both MT and PCU are talking about are one and the same. I have been told by more than one source that the flyweight mechanisms are identical and produced in the same factory.

Thanks Myron for the heads up on this issue.

After you and others had problems with your MT PG's on RV-10's, I removed my MT 860-4 after discovering it required an inspection/rebuild after 72 months. Instead of sending it back to MT for the rebuild I decided to replace it with new PCU-5000X. Looks like I should have bought the Hartzell PG after all.

Break --

Vic,

"No panic necessary. :)"

Thanks for the reassurance!

Charlie

RV-8

As you can see, the old parts will continue to be used and overhauled until parts are no longer available.

No panic necessary. :)

Vic

Aero Technologies, LLC
SERVICE LETTER AT2016-1
October 20, 2016
TO: Owners, Operators and Aero Technologies Service Centers.
SUBJECT: Flyweight design change.
MODEL AFFECTED: All PCU5000 and PCU5000X
SERVICE MANUAL AFFECTED: Maintenance/Overhaul Manual AT1431299 Rev. 2
This service information is to be added to the appropriate Aero Technologies Maintenance Manual until the next manual revision is released.
NEW FLYWEIGHT DESIGN TO REPLACE CURRENT DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
1) Current Flyweight assembly part number AT1438426 is still able to be overhauled until the supply of Safety Spring part number AT1430591 is exhausted.
2) New Flyweight Assembly part number AT1438504 (drawing page 2).
a) AT1430685, Flyweight head
b) AT1430522, Flyweight (requires 2)
c) AT4420170, Needle (requires 2)
d) AT4402020, pin (requires 4)

AT1438504 is a direct replacement for the AT1438426 Flyweight assembly and does not change fit, form, or function of the PCU5000 governor.

APPROVAL: FAA approval has been obtained on technical data in this publication that affects product type design.
To obtain satisfactory results, procedures specified in this service information must be accomplished in accordance with accepted methods and prevailing government regulations. Aero Technologies cannot be responsible for the quality of work performed in accomplishing this service information.
Aero Technologies, LLC
595 Telser Road
Lake Zurich, IL 60047

A few facts

Hi

I just spoke to Aerotechnical about this service letter. Here are the facts as given to me:

1. The MT prop flyweights and PCU500O flyweights are made by different manufacturers

2. This service letter has been in the works for a year - it is not the result of technical issues

3. The service letter is a result of the company standardizing parts between their turbine and reciprocating engine design / parts.

4. This does not affect the PCU overhaul requirements (7 years TIS or TBO whichever occurs first).

I suggested that they post a note on VAF as peiople seem to be inferring that this letter is related to the MT recall (which it is not).

In short, nothing to see here....

Cheers

Les

Back