What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 39 to External ADS-B Antenna

RV7ator

Well Known Member
Hi, Gang,

I will be using an external blade antenna for my GDL 39. Anyone have a solution or source for a cable with a BNC on the antenna end and a male SMA on the other end for the GDL 39?

John Siebold

Hi, Gang,

I will be using an external blade antenna for my GDL 39. Anyone have a solution or source for a cable with a BNC on the antenna end and a male SMA on the other end for the GDL 39?

John Siebold

No...but we sell a really nice little SMA/BNC adapter that we usually send with the GDL's that we sell....or, you can buy a crimp on SMA connector that works just like the BNC's do.

Cheers,
Stein

were

jetdriven;693729 I just got a GDL-39 and from 2500 feet I can receive the ADS-B ground stations from over 100 miles away. I was planning to use an external antenna but I cant see the need.[/QUOTE said:
Were did you put yours?

David, we have the aera cable and it currently sits on the glareshield of a Mooney. That thing receives weather at 500 AGL everywhere in TX we have flown and it locked on to IAH and HOU stations on top of a 50' bridge in my car.

Many may not need the external UAT antenna for reception, but those who do will find the Delta Pop UAT antenna is well within the Garmin spec's of "50 ohm vertically polarized antenna with a VSWR less than 1.7:1 at 978 MHZ and less than 1.5:1 at 1090 MHZ".

x5qu6u.jpg

I would like to put out a shameless plug for Don and his antennas.

On top of being a super nice person, Don knows his stuff and as you can see, he has the equipment needed to design his antennas.

See Don for your antenna needs is the recommendation!

Been using two of his Com antennas for a couple years now and they work great on the belly of the RV. He designs them with some unique features that provide top performance for a reasonable cost.

Some antenna designs have issues with static buildup but Don has addressed this with his units.

Several of the certified antennas claim super wide frequency response with low VSWR across the entire range. The way they do this is by embedding passive components into the antenna base to fake the impedance match. The power is not radiated but instead is wasted as heat. Don has addressed this with his designs.

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that Don donated the comm antenna for the RV1, and even in it's less than ideal location inside the fuselage, it worked much better than expected!

SMA TO BNC CABLE

I just installed my GDL-39 3D in the tail of my RV-4 and hooked it up to ones of Don's UAT Antenna.

I used a SMA to SMA cable ( 6' long, so plenty long for an RV-4 installation) and used a BNC to SMA connector from the antenna to connect it to the cable.

It works great and cost a total of about $15.00 CDN.

YMMV

Bruno
[email protected]

First, another shameless plug for Don's antenna!

As for the cable, I measured the routing distance and then found a nice option for the exact cable with correct fitting from the "aviation department" at Amazon.com :)

antenna for GDL 39 on dash

Is there an antenna I can plug into the GDL 39 thru a cable so that I can put the antenna on the glare shield and the GDL 39 body under the panel so it is ut of the sun and only the antenna is in the sun?

Would it work if I just used the existing GDL 39 antenna but connect it thru a RG400 cable to the body instead of directly to the body of the GDL 39?

Add me to the list of satisfied DeltaPop customers, Don is a great guy and makes great antennas. If you need an external 978/1090 antenna, buy one of his.

Dave

Back