What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DID YOU KNOW about the latest insurance market changes?

LRingeisen

Well Known Member
Keeping with the theme of our recent posts, we wanted to continue keeping you informed on what is going on with the insurance market. Below is a letter written earlier this year from Jeff Bauer, Area Chairman for Gallagher Aviation.

In the first two months of this year, Gallagher Aviation met with management of the largest insurers of light aircraft. Several common themes emerged from these meetings.

There is a definite effort by all the markets to increase rates. I say ?effort? because, unlike other segments of the aviation marketplace such as corporate and commercial aviation, there are more markets in the light aircraft segment, so it is somewhat more difficult to successfully raise rates due to the level of competition Therefore, several markets reported that they only received small single-digit rate increases in the first two months of the year, due to competitive pressures.

The downside of what would otherwise be positive news for owners of light aircraft is that many of the insurers are reporting only marginal profits in the light aircraft segment. This is in contrast to commercial and corporate aviation, where double-digit rate increases are resulting in sharply increased revenue for the underwriters. These markets have been able to hold double-digit increases for corporate and commercial accounts in part due to a number of eight figure jury verdicts or settlements in this space over the last 18 months. These large losses have affected all the markets, and thus stiffened their resolve to hold to higher rate increases to recoup their losses.

We do feel that continued marginal profits in light aircraft could result in markets reconsidering their commitment to this segment, perhaps not leaving the market, but instead becoming less aggressive and willing to offer reasonable terms. Fortunately, aviation insurers have traditionally favored the light aircraft segment because the relatively low aircraft values and liability limits vs. corporate or commercial aircraft limits their overall exposure to large losses. Also, given the large number of light aircraft vs. corporate or commercial aircraft, it is easier for insurers to spread whatever losses they do sustain over a higher number of insureds.

The other trend we have seen is less willingness by the markets to offer higher liability limits. This is a natural consequence of any hard insurance market, which is why we continue to suggest purchasing the highest limit of liability available so that you remain adequately protected. Insurers in a hard market will begin by refusing to offer higher liability limits to new insureds, so it is less likely that they will attempt to lower limits offered to their existing insureds.

So, for the remainder of this year we expect to see relatively small increases on renewals, keeping in mind that markets in this segment traditionally will respond to a series of accidents involving a given aircraft by quickly raising rates for that particular aircraft. Gallagher Aviation will remain in communication with these markets throughout the year and will keep our clients advised of any changes that could affect the cost of their insurance.

Modest Increases?

I just received my renewal quote with a 30% increase - no changes in coverage. A modest increase?

Ron B.

I just received my renewal quote with a 30% increase - no changes in coverage. A modest increase?

Ron B.

Hi Ron, I'm not sure about your specific situation, but this did make me think of one other thing I wanted to point out on this post. It was briefly discussed in the original letter, but competition in the market has changed.

Prior to this year, current carriers were able to come down in premium because there was completion with the other companies. Now that all carriers are increasing their rates, it may look like your taking a significant increase when you may have had a decent decrease last year. For example, last year your insurance company brought their original renewal quote down $50 to meet a low rate from another carrier. Now you might see a $100 increase because they don't have competition and you are seeing the increase from last year and this year combined.

Of course, this is just one scenario. If a company came in lower last year, you may see a larger increase, because you were able to take advantage of the previous competition.

Insurance policy pricing

I can speak first hand, a I just got my quotes as I head towards a purchase. I am well qualified and my quote came in about 30% more than anticipated. Hopefully year two will improve.

Mitch

I assume that rates are higher the first year, with test flying, new higher performance plane, etc. Does that go down the second year with some hours of experience, if so, what are would be needed for rates to go down?

I assume that rates are higher the first year, with test flying, new higher performance plane, etc. Does that go down the second year with some hours of experience, if so, what are would be needed for rates to go down?

Possibly a different agent! When a fellow RV pilot recommended Martha Christensen to me I got a lower rate than my old agent could come up with. And my rate has gone down every year so far. As always, YMMV.

-Marc

Possibly a different agent! When a fellow RV pilot recommended Martha Christensen to me I got a lower rate than my old agent could come up with. And my rate has gone down every year so far. As always, YMMV.

-Marc

Actually a lot of people don't know this, but all agents get the same rate as long as each broker gives the insurance company the same information. If a quote is given out to one broker, the insurance company has to give the other brokers the same quotes. The only exception would be if the insurance company has closed quoting. This means the insurance company will only release quotes to the first broker requesting them or if the policy is already with that company, the insurance company will not release quotes to anyone other than the current broker.

The first year or so, we are limited on which companies we can get quotes with, because not all companies will cover the aircraft during the fly-off period. Once the fly-off is complete, it opens up more options. Since insurance companies base rates off of make and model time, the best thing you can do is fly, fly, fly. :)

It's hard for us to say the rates will go down the second year, because we don't know what the market will look like. Previously I would have said that you would see a decrease, but lately I have had some pilots with a new aircraft put on quite a few hours and the rates stayed the same. With that being said, I'm not sure what their premiums would have come in at if they didn't fly much.

Renewal

I just received a renewal for my RV-7 and the rate was about $50.00 cheaper than last year. I am using ACI. I am relieved that the rate did not increase. Wheww...... :)

Can anyone share their experiences filing claims with aviation insurers?

This is the kind of question you should ask your broker. e.g., some years ago a new insurance company entered the EAB market, with good rates. I called my broker (Gallagher) and asked about them. They replied that this company lacked the financial claims-paying ability they like to see, so they wouldn?t recommend them. Eight months later this company abruptly withdrew from the market, leaving a lot of owners scrambling for new coverage. This is the kind of service to look for in choosing a broker.
As to your question: This was over 20 years ago, so may no longer be relevant: partner in a 182, taxiing at night on new blacktop, unfamiliar airport, sideswiped the black curb, airplane pivoted into the curb, prop strike. Insurance was USAIG. They didn?t even come look. They paid the full list-price estimate from the local shop, deducting $2K from the value of the CS prop as it was beyond recommended TBO (time). They paid the cost of a tear down inspection. They just sent a check to us. We were able to negotiate a $1K lower cost on a new prop, USAIG didn?t ask for any money back. We were happy customers. Now, since we were more than half way to engine TBO, we decided to go ahead with a full overhaul, with us picking up the extra cost. That turned into a mini disaster (we didn?t know that the well-known overhaul company was in transition from father to son, the son scr*** us over) (company went out of business a few years later.)

Insurance Quote

Not to cause a drift, but I am new to the aircraft insurance business. The RV-7 that I am building should fly late this year or early next. Is it too early to get quotes for insurance now?

I am assuming the best way to get a quote is to call a broker and give them the specifics?

What brokers to most RV'ers use? What should I look for in a broker? Any thing to watch out for or stay away from? How many different brokers should I get quotes from?

Thanks in advance.

John

Not to cause a drift, but I am new to the aircraft insurance business. The RV-7 that I am building should fly late this year or early next. Is it too early to get quotes for insurance now?

I am assuming the best way to get a quote is to call a broker and give them the specifics?

What brokers to most RV'ers use? What should I look for in a broker? Any thing to watch out for or stay away from? How many different brokers should I get quotes from?

Thanks in advance.

John
Just a bit early. Most of the quotes will only be good for something like 60 days. But you could call a broker now, just to chat and get an informal estimate.
The ONLY way to get insurance is thru a broker, with the sole exception of AVEMCO. Send AVEMCO a separate application or call. (For most of us they have not been competitive).
Use one broker. Some insurance companies have a policy of only dealing with the first broker and will not quote a second broker who inquires for you. Don’t waste their time.
The broker represents you. You should expect good service and good guidance. They all should get the same quotes. If a broker claims they can get better rates, it must be that they are mis-representing you to the companies. This could cause pain down the road.
I use Gallagher, and feel they have done a good job (see two posts above). Others have good reports from others.
Edit PS. Expect high rates for phase 1/first year. You didn’t say how much tailwheel time you have, if it’s low, again, first year will be expensive.

Last edited:
Just received notice of cancellation

I?m 10 months into my first year of insurance with ALLIANZ. I received a very succinct letter informing me that my insurance will end when the policy expires in 2 more months. The reason given unspecified ?underwriting guidelines?. The plane is a RV12. I have made no claims.

My insurance is probably unique as there are four co-owners and three are student pilots.

So I will commence shopping soon for a new company through my broker, Gallagher. I?ve been with them (and the prior company) before the merger for 20 years with other RV,s. They have been very satisfied with their work and recommend them.

Correction to previous post

I meant to say ?I was very satisfied with Gallagher as a broker?

Obviously they would be satisfied with themselves!

Just a bit early. Most of the quotes will only be good for something like 60 days. But you could call a broker now, just to chat and get an informal estimate.
The ONLY way to get insurance is thru a broker, with the sole exception of AVEMCO. Send AVEMCO a separate application or call. (For most of us they have not been competitive).
Use one broker. Some insurance companies have a policy of only dealing with the first broker and will not quote a second broker who inquires for you. Don?t waste their time.
The broker represents you. You should expect good service and good guidance. They all should get the same quotes. If a broker claims they can get better rates, it must be that they are mis-representing you to the companies. This could cause pain down the road.
I use Gallagher, and feel they have done a good job (see two posts above). Others have good reports from others.
Edit PS. Expect high rates for phase 1/first year. You didn?t say how much tailwheel time you have, if it?s low, again, first year will be expensive.

Thanks Bob. I am 1500 total time, only a couple hours tail wheel time:confused:, CFII/MEI. How much tail wheel time would I need to reduce the insurance?

Thanks,
John

“Allianz Cancellation Notice”
I just received such a notice also for my Citabria. A few months ago, my broker got “bought out” they’ve transferred me to another, then this notice followed soon after. Never filed a claim, 17k+ hours, lots of ratings, etc... 300+ tail wheel. Someone else will get my money...

Thanks Bob. I am 1500 total time, only a couple hours tail wheel time:confused:, CFII/MEI. How much tail wheel time would I need to reduce the insurance?

Thanks,
John

I?m not the right person to answer this. Call Gallagher and ask. My guess is that the dollar cost won?t change with more tail wheel time. What will change are prerequisites. e.g., insurance company might require 20 hrs dual in a tailwheel RV. If you had a lot of tailwheel time, that might go down to 2 hours.

A broker might be able to answer, if the different underwriters share common requirements. Some may vary. Based on the RV-8 quotes above, the providers there all required 500 PIC, 100 TW, and 25 RV hours to get those rates. That can give you an indication of where you might end up once you get the time in. Before you hit those numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if your premium is 2x or 3x what was quoted in those, and you'll have a requirement for some number of dual hours.

If you can, find someone with a simple taildragger that you can get checked out on, and start building time. Having current tailwheel time may help, even if it's only 10-20 hours.

Back