What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source For Heated Pitot Tubes?????

I need some help tracking down a heated pitot tube for my RV7 project.

It appears the only sources for new heated pitot tube that can readily be installed to RV's are the AN5812-12 (or CH502) manufactured by Aero Instrument. This unit is currently selling for anywhere between $950 and $1100 (it was selling for a couple of hundred $ 3-4 years ago-go figure)

A second source is an experimental use only unit sold by ACS that is supposed to be a clone of the AN5812-12 unit which they sell for a mere $398. I'm starting to feel like I'm buying parts for a Bonanza!!!!!! :eek:

This ACS Experimental unit is manufactured by an Aussie company "Fly More". This unit is advertised to mount in the Gretz Aero extension bracket for the AN 5812-12 pitot tube. This tube is not drilled for mounting, does not sell with any tube fittings and barely has enough of a wiring pigtail to extend beyond the Gretz extension.

I reluctantly purchased the Australian unit, and surprise, it will not mount to the Gretz Aero extension without major surgery to the extension. The holes for holding the tube in the extenstion are not in the correct location to hold the Aussie unit, so the Gretz extension would have to be shortened and new holes drilled to mount the Aussie unit.

I'm inclined to return the Aussie unit and go on a junkyard search for a real AN5812-12 tube. Anyone have any ideas?????

Last edited:
Ted If you don't mind used parts, I was over at Air Salvage of Dallas and they had a whole box of different types of heated pitot tubes. I'm sure with a little experimentation :rolleyes: !!! Most were off Cessna's and Pipers and were standard L shaped with all conections intact. Most were in the $100 to $150 range and were in good to very good shape.

Bill

Back