What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ZTron Labs NAV/Strobe in action (on the bench at least)

mquam99

Well Known Member
Take a look at the you tube video I made tonight. You will see the wing tips from my 9A on the bench with the wing-tip landing lights (not featured) and the ZTron NAV/Strobes installed.

The video is 1 minute 13 seconds long and the NAV/Strobes fully activate at about 49 seconds.

You will also see my homemade power supply made from an old computer power supply.. I got the directions from this site..

I am sure there will be many opinions, but this is intended to show the ZTron lights in action on Van's tips. ZTron has a very similar video on their site as well..

This setup may not work for all of you, but it works for me.. thanks for looking..

http://youtu.be/YBfQD9w2WZU

Last edited:
looks great

That looks great. The lights are more intense than I thought they would be. I think other planes will not have trouble seeing you. Thanks for the video and information. It looks like a good setup.

It's nice to see our products in use, even if they're not in the air!
Have you tried them synchronized as well?

Stuart Snyder
Ztron Labs

It takes 30 seconds to 'warm up'; it's 49 seconds in his video because he spends some time prior to turning them on. :)
The reason we have a warm up period at all is so that when you want to play with the settings (flash period and pattern) you don't get quite as blinded.

Stuart Snyder
Ztron Labs

It takes 30 seconds to 'warm up'; it's 49 seconds in his video because he spends some time prior to turning them on. :)
The reason we have a warm up period at all is so that when you want to play with the settings (flash period and pattern) you don't get quite as blinded.

Stuart Snyder
Ztron Labs

This warm up is only during initial set up or changing settings right? Once the setting choices have been made they go to full bright once you turn them on don't they? Example: I just set them up and powered down then reinstall my tips and go flying. Once I turn them on they should be on full bright with no warm up. Is this correct?

No; there will always be a 30-second 'warm-up'. Whether it's after selecting a new pattern or every time you start your RV and turn them on.
They should still be noticeable enough during this phase to let anyone around your aircraft know it's in operation, and one might say it gives people time to get clear before full brightness and you start moving.

No; there will always be a 30-second 'warm-up'. Whether it's after selecting a new pattern or every time you start your RV and turn them on.
They should still be noticeable enough during this phase to let anyone around your aircraft know it's in operation, and one might say it gives people time to get clear before full brightness and you start moving.

Will the brightness delay also apply if you ground the sync line to disable the strobes, and then un-disable them?

Nope, there is no delay for the strobe disabling.
I guess I should clarify my earlier statement: There will always be a 30-second warm up if you press the button, or restart the units. Disabling the strobes leaves the position LEDs active, so it's not a reset.

Someone might use this to start their aircraft with only the position LEDs on, which will be dim for 30 seconds before going full brightness, and then turning on the strobes at full brightness at any time afterwards. However, since strobes are more noticeable, I am not sure if that situation would ever be useful (or as safe).

Stuart Snyder
Ztron Labs

Strobes

My intention is use a switch on the sync cable to be able to turn off the strobes.. I am sure folks have many different procedures, but I normally flip the strobes on as I take the runway. The thought process is to not blind another pilot that may be on approach if I am holding short.

once I am cleared to takeoff or lineup and wait, I turn the strobes on when I cross the hold short line.

It will be nice to have the strobes go active immediately at that point..

thanks to Stuart from ZTron for the comments as well. Its nice to have the vendor giving input

Ordered a set last night, can't wait to get them to see them in action.
I am putting them in an 8 with AeroLED Microsun Landing lights.

Sorry if I'm late to the party, so we now have a way to leave the Nav lights on while turning the strobes on/off independently?

Sorry if I'm late to the party, so we now have a way to leave the Nav lights on while turning the strobes on/off independently?

Yup. Reading the user manual they say to install a switch that grounds the sync wire between all lights and that disables the strobes but not the nav lights.

Back