What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust system: RV-7 ECI IOX-360, Horiz. cold induction sump, Silverhawk P. injection

Harald

Sponsor
I´m looking for an exhaust system for my RV7.
Does somebody know where to buy a special exhaust system for my RV7-ECI-cold ind. sump? I mean the best in size, weight, function and price :)
Vetterman has a 4/1 system that will fit. The design looks perfect on a RV-7A, but using this exhaust system for the RV-7 it seems that the available space between sump, engine mount and cowling will not optimal used. The exhaust tubes makes an unnecessary bow where the front gear is fixed to the engine mount.
AWI has a 4/1 ES too, but I´m not sure if this will fit on my RV and are optimized for it. I´m waiting for their response to my email.
Pictures on their website shows a great looking 4/1 ES, but with an vertical induction sump. In this case the exahaust tubes are routed around the air intake area on the bottom of the sump, where the carburator or fuel injection servo are placed.

Please send me pictures of similar installations.

Thanks in advance,

Harald Sotomayor
sot at trigenio.de
RV-7
starting to mount the engine in "4 minutes"

Last edited:
Vetterman's 4 pipe system

worked great on my 7A with the Superior horizontal cold air sump. Lots of room for servo control cables and no interference anywhere. Getting a solid 170 to 175 KTS without any tweaks, so I don't think the straight pipes hurt performance. Sounds great and no worries about future cracks etc. resulting from a convoluted crossover or 4 into one system either...

7A vs 7 room

There is a lot more to get around in an "A" model than a -7 under the cowl. It seems to me that if the 4 pipe system from Vetterman will work in a 7A it will surely work on a -7 too.

I have a 9A with the ECI cold air induction setup and am using Vetterman's 4 pipe system. I find it difficult to think there would be any clearance issues on a -7 with this setup.

I also am using a 4 pipe vetterman on my ECI I/O360 with horz induction cold air option (no other choice). For a vertical induction setup, you have many choices including the cross over setup and the 4 into 1 setup. I believe some of the problems occur if your using the James cowl (clearence issues).

w6xbx3.jpg

dyq04z.jpg

Last edited:
AWI has a 4/1 ES too, but I?m not sure if this will fit on my RV and are optimized for it. I?m waiting for their response to my email.
Pictures on their website shows a great looking 4/1 ES, but with an vertical induction sump. In this case the exahaust tubes are routed around the air intake area on the bottom of the sump, where the carburator or fuel injection servo are placed.

Harald Sotomayor
sot at trigenio.de
RV-7
starting to mount the engine in "4 minutes"

Harald, I don't have a 7, but do have the AWI exhaust on my 8... I love it. Good quality, and the fit is perfect for the Horizontal sumps, not to mention the cold air superior induction sump as well. the 4 into 1 works very well for tail draggers.

Back