What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspections required?

rvdave

Well Known Member
I have scheduled for my FAA inspection and nothing was said about pitot static or transponder inspections. Is that required before I have the FAA inspector come by?

Probably not. I say probably, because it may depend on the inspector and also your location even though legally it doesn't have anything to do with the airworthiness inspection itself. I'd say that if you could legally fly the airplane in your test area with the transponder off, then you should be able to pass without the inspection. If you inside of transponder-required territory, then they're probably going to want to see it since you aren't truly ready to fly without that.

Moral of the story. Ask the inspector. You'll get all kinds of different answers from different inspectors, no matter if they are "right" or "wrong". That doesn't matter. Your goal is to minimize surprises on the day of with superior craftsmanship and preparation.

To expand on the above mentioned, per my example I was given 100 NM radius and there are transponder required areas in my Phase 1 area, and he also looked at my log book that had the transponder check completed in there.

So my question is... if you're building at an airport that doesn't have the services required to get the pitot/static test and transponder test, then what?

So my question is... if you're building at an airport that doesn't have the services required to get the pitot/static test and transponder test, then what?

You may be able to get someone to come to you. Here at the airpark, we schedule 4 or more planes to get done the same day so the guy doing the check waives the travel charge.

Legally, you can label they transponder as INOP and fly, as long as you fly in areas that do not require transponders. That should get you to an airport that does the check. That said, check with your FSDO. They can (and have) required things that are not actually required - but they are the ones signing off the paperwork. The FSDO did want it done on mine, but I already had it completed.

Before you do anything, do your own leak checks. This will save you time and money.

Carl

Just sat with my DAR a couple days ago and he said yes, a transponder check is required IF it is installed. If I have it out and a tray installed for future upgrade then, no it is not required for airworthiness inspection. The implication I got is that it is FAA mandated, but I did not ask for chapter and verse.

There is nothing in the Order requiring that the transponder be signed off for issuance of an Airworthiness Certificate. If the aircraft is located within airspace where it is required, the transponder must be signed off before flight unless an exemption is received from ATC.
Often ATC will issue an exemption for flight to a maintenance facility to get this done.
i.e. The transponder sign-off is a flight issue, not an airworthiness issue.

I did some research on aopa site and found this:

Other inspections are required for the instruments and equipment installed in the aircraft. However, some of these inspections are only required if the aircraft is operated under instrument flight rules. For example, another inspection you should be aware of is the altimeter system and altitude reporting system test and inspection. This inspection, described in FAR 91.411(a), is required if the aircraft is operated in controlled airspace under IFR. It mandates that within the preceding 24 calendar months, each static pressure system, each altimeter instrument, and each automatic pressure altitude reporting system must have been tested and inspected and found to comply with appendix E of Part 43. Automatic pressure altitude reporting system is just a fancy name for the mode c transponders altitude encoder.

So is this enough to prove to faa inspector?

As Mel said, it is NOT an airworthiness requirement, just an operational requirement. However, some FSDO's/MIDO's do require it if you are under a CLass B or C airspace, so it is best to ask.

Vic

I mail my transponder for its two year checks. I'm flying VFR, so that's all that is required.

I've calibrated my pitot static with a manometer. Good enough for VFR and likely as good as any certified calibration.

Back