What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Swift Fuel

Bones

Anyone using Swift fuel in their Rotax? It's now available at East Troy in southern Wisconsin.
If so, any issues?

I've run two tanks of it, on the way to & from Oshkosh. Portage WI has it. No issues, it ran just like any other gas.

Fuel at East Troy

I use Swift Fuel from East Troy regularly in my -12 and have not had any problems. I did have issues with premium unleaded winter blend fuel on a few of the hot summer days (has been previously documented in other threads). No problems with the Swift fuel- and cheaper than 91 octance Mogas.

I too filled up at Portage WI with Swift 94UL. I have been asking my FBO to get it, but they are not showing much interest. Things move slowly in aviation, but it will show up at more airports soon.

Swift

Fill my RV12 there frequently, and have never had a bit of trouble. Note Sauk-Prairie Airport (91C), NW of KMSN recently added self serve Swift fuel. Another destination!

The current Swift offering is petroleum-based but the original Swift fuel was biomass based (sweet sorghum as I remember), and when tested to the same standards as the existing 100LL, it met or exceeded all the different parameters. Years ago our local builder's group participated in a video conference with the Swift people and this is what I remember about it. We also saw a photo of the engine instrumentation of a Beech Duke being flown on Swift fuel on one engine. Power was set the same but the Swift-fueled engine ran cooler and had a lower fuel flow.

I asked the Swift people about the biomass fuel at Oshkosh and they told me it had been funded by private interests who later withdrew their support.

It sounds like the current Swift offering may well just be 100LL without the lead, similar to UL91.............
Just read an ad from them and they call it UL 94 ( 100LL minus the lead )

Tom

Last edited:
Back