VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-21-2015, 12:58 PM

Just finished my panel! Day VFR with room for possible future upgrades. SteinAir did the wiring harness for the Garmin stuff and I did the rest.

Catto 3 Blade
Old 04-21-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrskygod View Post
Yup it really did. This was a day/night VFR aeroplane with manual trim. The original wiring was a Van's harness. I not only did the panel but the entire electrical system as well. I now have dual alternators, dual skyviews, and dual adahars. I also installed electric trim, new two axis autopilot, new stick controls and a flap controller. I built all of the avionics harnesses, rewired the entire aeroplane and now have a dual buss system. The engine has full monitoring through the skyview as well. I was figuring the other day that this project took roughly 800 hours, hanger flying included. I also installed several airframe mods as well including the "almost RV14 mod " and a tilting canopy. The only work farmed out was the panel cut by Up North Aviation. That guy saved me countless hours work and allowed me to massage the layout until it was perfect for me. Bill your are the best!!!!!

In retrospect this project took twice as long as I thought, cost twice as much as I estimated, and was twice as hard as I could ever have imagined. A reconfiguration of an already flying airplane is truly a pain in the back and other places. My chiropractor and I are now best friends. Many a time I would have traded back to a Cessna with a nice flat floor.

What I took away from this project was an increased knowledge of my plane, it's structures and it's systems, an intimate knowledge of the avionics and how they all interrelate, new skills in wiring, cabling and sheet metal and above all the usage of the search engine in VAF for ideas and clues when I was stumped or for things not to do. One of my biggest concerns was to eliminate as much noise in the audio system as possible and to keep the smoke inside those expensive boxes. Just like a first flight it took a lot of willpower to flip that master on the first time, but it all worked out just fine to my great relief - and my audio is crystal clear with nary a ripple, ping or pop.

So my advice is this - plan well ahead, do your research thoroughly, my layout, installation and equipment selections are mine and give me the comfort level I wanted, but may not be optimum for you. Once you decide on your plan and equipment don't look back, just get it done. This stuff is changing at such a rapid pace that what you bought yesterday will be outdated tomorrow and just remember to stay focused as someone on this site says "it's just one dang wire after another".

It was all worth it for me. This equipment is just amazing. As I learn how to use it and explore the capabilities I am just blown away. I come from a background of certified aircraft, paper charts, plates, maps, VOR's and ILS's and maybe a handheld GPS or two, so this is cool stuff and the safety factor for me has ratcheted up exponentially. I do still remember that all of the neat toys will not save me if I don't know how to use them or if I get myself in a situation I never should have been in because of poor decision making. With all of these wiz-bang gizmos we must all remember these are still little airplanes and are not in any way all weather birds so lets all be safe out there.
Just wondering - did you look at going with the Vertical Power electronic CB's instead of the old school ones ?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:44 PM

Default Dual Dynon, Dual PMAG, GTN-650, ADSB, so far!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hoto%2cjpg

I purchased a flying RV-9A about three years ago with Dual Dynon screens and I have been steadily upgrading since then. I have just installed dual PMAG's with the EI Commander to keep track of them. My original Van's Tach or sender has quit. I am reserving that hole for a round hole audio panel from PS Engineering in the future. I have also just added a CO panel mount detector from Guardian Avionics. I would also like to add a second radio using the new Dynon radio in the future. So far I have been able to retrofit things into the existing panel that the former owner installed. I also have a flap position box that drives the flaps to 10-20-30 degrees. I really like how that works. He also installed a pushbutton starting, that is out of the view of this picture on the left. I have the remote Dynon transponder, as well as the ADSB receiver. I am set up for IFR with the Garmin 650.

Last edited by BMW_X6M : 05-25-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeIsland9 View Post
Just finished my panel! Day VFR with room for possible future upgrades. SteinAir did the wiring harness for the Garmin stuff and I did the rest.

Nice! With all the work you did up front with the cutouts for the radio stack, etc., upgrading should be a cinch.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2018
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 06-05-2015, 03:11 AM

Default Labour of Love

After several tweaks, a repaint and label replacement and late incorportion of the Dynon AP panel, it's finished.

TSO'd backup instruments should enable IFR certification when CASA determine their new policy for experimental aircraft.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-20-2015, 04:18 PM

Default Just a hint of what's to come

I couldn't resist sharing this. Just a hint of what's to come for my panel. Inspired by Ed Kranz's RV-10 switch backlighting, and other ideas I've had all along. Had Stein cut my panel, and worked with Jarod to design the panel blanks. Combine with some electroluminescent light sheeting I got online, add some blue transparent vinyl to color the light, and engraved placards from Aircraft Engravers. The phone camera doesn't do it justice. And the backlight is much more subdued.

In its place in the panel. Have to drill the top two mounting screw holes through the lighting sheeting still. Side note for the curious, the panel is done in 3 coats of Rustoleum Textured Black spray, from Home Aviation Depot.

Last night, combining everything together: On top of the aluminum mount panel would first go a whole EL lighting sheet. Blue vinyl goes on next on top of the lighting sheet. Finally, the placard. I'd then trim up the edges, and cut out the circuit breaker mounting holes, with a utility knife.

Just waiting on another shipment of lighting panels now, to go along with all the other placards.

Like I said, just a taste of what's to come.
RV-9A Slider N112SB
Started 1/12/12, Airworthy 6/4/18, First Flight 7/4/18
Build Time - 6.5yrs
IO-320 w/EFII and Catto 3-blade
Beringer brakes/wheels/tires
Dual G3X Touch (Stein's bankrupted me!)
In Phase 1
=/\= 2018 Donation Paid =/\=

Last edited by sbalmos : 07-19-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Darn Google Photos URLs...
Old 07-18-2016, 09:53 PM

Default It's alive!

Just in time for Oshkosh, the panel comes alive. Still have to finish the power wires for the ignition system indicators and label backlighting. But everything else came right up. Only have to debug why the VPX doesn't want to communicate with the MFD properly.

Last night, before configuring...

Tonight, once I wrangled all the RS-232 port settings...

Bench power supply reads just under 7 amps' draw with everything enabled - PFD, MFD, A/P Head, servos, transponder, ADSB, GTN, GTR 200, audio panel, you name it...

RV-9A Slider N112SB
Build Time - 6.5yrs
In Phase 1

Last edited by sbalmos : 07-19-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Darn Google Photos URLs...
Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Scott - I'm not seeing your pictures from either of the two recent posts (others are fine). Are the links broken?

Anybody else having problems or is it me?
Old 07-19-2016, 06:56 PM

I love Google Photos URLs, especially when they change... Sorry about that.
RV-9A Slider N112SB
Build Time - 6.5yrs
In Phase 1
Old 07-19-2016, 07:45 PM

Looking good Scott. Wish I was where you are! I need to get back home so I can work on it!!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection