What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice on airports near Santa Barbara, CA

jma

My wife and I are planning a trip to Santa Barbara, California in the near future. We have no knowledge regarding GA friendly airports. Requesting advice from those familiar with the area and/or who have visited regarding your experiences and advice.

Cheers,
JMA

I've never flown into Santa Barbara, but I have relatives down there. When I last spent a few hours on the beach that is just off the end of SBA's runway, the only planes coming and going were GA planes. They only have about 20 commercial operations a day.

Thanks for the info. Now I hope someone will chime in regarding FBOs, transient/overnight parking, facilities, alternative area airports.

Cheers,
JMA

Airnav has some good information on SBA and their FBOs:
https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSBA

They have high ramp and overnight fees relative to other GA airports, but about on par for class-C airports. I used Atlantic last time I visited and they give out bikes to pilots for day use you could use to go bike around UCSB and the college town that is right next door to the airport. That's a lot of fun.

This time of year they get a lot of fog and marine layer (June Gloom, affects most of the California coast). That should start clearing up in late July and August but is in full force this year.

The only alternate airport in the immediate area is Santa Ynez over the mountains (KIZA). It's about an hour drive, but it's a really pretty one at that. I've landed here a few times but have not stayed overnight. I have been told you can get rental cars delivered to the airport but they do not have any formal FBO facilities with crew cars or anything that I know of. IZA is also next to the wine region in the area and a lot of other nice destinations, so you may be able to make a day trip out of it if you decide to land there. I believe fees are $5/night overnight so pretty reasonable. It's in a valley so the weather is generally better than SBA gets.

Other alternates are Santa Paula, Oxnard and Camarillo to the southeast, but these are all a bit further away by car.

Last edited:
Santa Paula

I would recommend you consider Santa Paula airport (KSZP), the oldest public use, privately owned airport in continuous use in the country.

It's been a while since I've been there but I'm thinking it's still one of the most interesting airports I've ever been to, especially when a lot of the hangars are open. It's almost like a living museum.

It's only about 25 air miles from Santa Barbara. You would have to determine if it's inconvenient to drive from Santa Paula to your destination in Santa Barbara. I remember the menu of so many years ago at the airport restaurant stated that Charles Lindbergh used to visit there in the '30s. It's a special place, or it was when I visited.

Maybe some of the Southern California pilots will speak up. I hope it hasn't changed, because I would like to visit it again someday. I can't comment on how the overnight parking, etc., compare with KSBA or other local airports.

Last edited:
Great info so far. Thanks for all the input. Maybe we'll be able to make contact with some SoCal pilots when we are there.

Cheers,
JMA

We like to fly over to Camarillo for breakfast at the "Waypoint"--great restaurant right off the ramp. I'm based at Santa Maria where we have a Radisson Hotel with nice restaurant and airplane parking also at the ramp. The terminal has a Mexican restaurant, Pepper Garcia's.
San Luis Obispo has a good restaurant, Spirit of San Luis, too. Oceano has the best Mexican restaurant, Old Juan's, a short walk away.

+1 on Bob's suggestion of Camarillo btw. The Waypoints restaurant is the best on-airport restaurant I've yet had.

If you are going into Santa Barbara, I can think of no reason to use anything but the big airport. Everything else is pretty far away all things considered. Visit Santa Paula if you have time to be sure, awesome little airport, but for traveling into the city, there is no substitute for SBA.

Signature

Signature is very nice. It isn't the cheapest place to keep a plane, but they are very service oriented. Our company headquarters is in SB and our company plane is at Signature.

If you don't have to be right in SB, Oceano(can be windy), SLO, or Camerillo are good alternates. There is lots to do in the area. Have fun.

I learned to fly at KSBA so I'm biased, but if you're going to Santa Barbara I say there is no better airport than KSBA. I can't say enough good things about the people at Signature. If you're staying for more than a few hours they will arrange for your rental car and generally treat you like you came in a GIV. It is going to be more expensive than landing at one of the alternates already mentioned, but it is infinitely more convenient. Plus, the views of Santa Barbara and UCSB on take off and landing are priceless.

Any of the alternates to the south, such as Santa Paula, Oxnard or Camarillo will make for a long drive to Santa Barbara. The 101, the highway to Santa Barbara, drops to two lanes through the very pricey neighborhood of Montecito. On the weekends this creates a bit of a traffic jam that really slows things down. Santa Ynez, which has been mentioned, is the best bet if you're looking for cost over convenience. It is a nice little airport with basic facilities. If you need a car you'll have to arrange through Hertz or Enterprise to have one dropped off at the airport for you, as there are no FBO facilities on the field. Tie downs for at Santa Ynez ae $5 or $10 per night and gas is $4.69/gallon SS vs. $6.95/gallon FS at Signature. There is a $0.50/gallon discount on the weekends at Signature so that brings down the cost a few bucks, but it's still going to cost a lot more than Santa Ynez. If you decide to go there be aware to be on the lookout for NORDO glider traffic in the pattern, especially on the weekends.

If you're concerned about the costs I recommend you call the good people at Signature and they can give you an idea of what you're stay will cost. In my mind it all comes down to a trade of dollars vs. convenience. I'm based in SoCal at TOA, and I regularly fly up to Santa Barbara and tie my plane down at Signature.

Last edited:
Fly Into Camarillo

Western cardinal FBO at CMA. No ramp fees if you rent a car. Breakfast or lunch at the Waypoint. Drive up the coast to Santa Barbara.

Back