What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall turn practice

eddieseve

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Video link below, sorry no speech just music.

http://youtu.be/DEVtezAFoxQ

Link with New Music for the USA to stop copyright issues;

http://youtu.be/SbpE02zPvtw

Last Monday I spent some time with Pete from the Australia Aerobatic Academy refreshing my stall turn technique in the RV, oily belly afterwards.

Things to note;

The manoeuvre was carried out at 140knots.
Pull and hold to near vertical, just before vertical check the climb with slight forward stick, count to 5, kick in full left rudder, feed in right aileron then forward stick as required.

I of course did not do this in the beginning.

Look at the prop at the top of the manoeuvres creating tip vortices.

Half way through Pete tries to get me to do a sequence of loop, stall turn etc. In the stall turn we go past vertical, you can see us starting to hang from our seat straps, so I push forward to level, about -1G and topple the Dynon, took about 30sec to right itself.

3/4 of the way through the video, Pete takes me through a sequence of loop, stall turn, barrel roll, wing over, aileron roll and finishes with steep turns.

The last two manoeuvres are a classic, Pete says ok let's explore what can go wrong if you don't kick in rudder in time and lose all vertical air speed. Pseudo tail slide, lock all controls and wait, the engine pretty much drags you around.

At this point I think the lesson is over and then he says your turn, check out the look on my face.

Hope you enjoy,

Last edited:
Someone (bunch of companies listed) blocked it from viewing "in our country" (USA for me) due to copyright issues - I assume with the music... ?

Rats, No luck

following message when I tried to watch video:
This video contains content from WMG, BMG_Rights_Management, Warner Chappell, UMPG Publishing, Kobalt Music Publishing and EMI Music Publishing, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Eddie, you need to get the intercom into the audio, Pete and his excitement for flying would make excellent commentary....he is just a bundle of enthusiasm!

Pull and hold to near vertical, just before vertical check the climb with slight forward stick, count to 5, kick in full left rudder, feed in right aileron then forward stick as required.

I would suggest getting out of the habit of counting to 5 before kicking. This only works for one exact entry airspeed, one exact G pull, one exact airplane loaded weight, and one exact density altitude condition. These things will vary. To consistently time the pivot properly, you'll need to learn other cues for when to kick...without kicking too early or too late. There is more than one way. Don't bother looking at the ASI. Look for a telltale buffeting of the airframe around when it's time to kick. Some airplanes have this, some don't. If you are timing your pivot properly, you should be able to apply some right aileron at the top before the pivot, without any roll reaction. Apply this progressively. Once you reach a certain amount of right aileron deflection with no roll reaction, this can be a good indicator of when it's time to kick. This is what I do in the Pitts. And keep in mind that most people tend to kick too early when first learning hammers...many times way too early. This just makes for a slow pivot, and a large pivot radius.

And once you get past the task saturation, I might suggest trying to pay very close attention to what is happening as soon as you kick rudder. In some high performance airplanes, if you apply the sequential rudder, aileron, and forward stick as you describe, the airplane will torque (roll left during the pivot). The forward stick is applied to counter gyroscopic precession. This gyro pitch toward the canopy starts the instant you kick rudder. In many high performance airplanes, if you don't apply the forward stick simultaneously with the rudder, it'll torque no matter what you do with the ailerons. However in lower performance airplanes, you cannot wait as late to kick as some higher performing airplanes - meaning you must kick with more vertical airspeed than some other types. In a lower performing airplane, applying forward stick simultaneous with the rudder may actually pitch the airplane forward off plane due to the fact that the remaining airspeed over the tail at the start of the pivot is enough to prevent the gyroscopic reaction from showing itself until you are about halfway through the pivot (less airspeed). Here, the forward stick may need to come a little after the rudder input. In each aircraft type, you must figure out the proper timing. One technique does not work in all airplanes.

Be decisive with the controls. Full power on the way up. Quickly apply FULL rudder when it's time to kick and hold it until it's time to apply FULL right rudder to crisply stop the pivot in a vertical attitude with no under pivot or overpivot or pendulum effect. Many tend to simply neutralize the rudder as the nose falls through the horizon. This makes for soft pivot.

All this assumes you get satisfaction out of problem solving and seeing improvements (even small ones) in your flying. If you're just into fun flopping around without hurting yourself or the airplane, that's fine too...just make sure you're having fun. :)

That's heaps Eric for the detailed commentary, I really do need to go out and practise until I can feel what is happening, it's early days yet so still getting used to the various sensations.

Having heaps of fun none the less.

Cheers

Back