What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Military Flight Instruction

LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
Some here know me and my career background. While the Navy (and military aviation in general) is primarily a fighting force, we do need experienced flight instructors. Unfortunately, most of us only get to do this as a 2.75 yr tour, once in our career. Flight instruction has always been my largest passion in aviation.

I have been lucky enough to have a 3 year helicopter flight instructor gig, followed by a 3 year "mentoring" gig as we transition to the new MH-60R helicopter. I just got the news yesterday that I will now get 3 more years instructing in the mighty T-6B for primary flight (initial accessions)...back to Pensacola for me!

Congrats on your assignment

When I was a flight student in PCola we could always tell which instructors wanted to be there and which didn't. Of course, the very best instructors had experience and wanted to instruct--so my guess is that your students are very lucky to get you.
I'll bet instructing in the T-6 will be a BLAST.

I was lucky going through flight school at Wolters & Rucker (class 69-24) in that all but one of my instructors were highly experienced and wanted to be there.

It makes a big difference.

I flew the A model when they were still stationed at Moody. It is a very nice airplane, and the air conditioner actually works - you should enjoy it. Good luck with the transition.

==dave==

Thanks

Thanks for all the warm thoughts. As for EAA 1379, I plan to make plenty of visits, and maybe even a few with students, on cross-country flights, etc...T-6 will be much better for an "approach" to the local runway, although we might need to stifle the...uhhh...local "law enforcement"(the guy on the field who DOESNT own/fly a plane but lives in a fly-in community...go figure!)

I certainly agree with all the comments about who wants to be there, very evident.

My goal is to parlay this experience into a DPE job, we will see!

My son instructs on the Harvard II (essentially the same aircraft as the T6) for the RCAF. Once you get used to the fact that you can never quite trim the aircraft to keep it from dog-tracking just a little bit, it's a pretty cool ride. That little bit of yaw instability does, however, apparently make it more prone to inspire airsickness in early clear hood flights than most trainers, so you have that to look forward to with your students! Congrats on the posting:)

Absolutely

John,

I am looking into the possibility of taking a grey aircraft. Trying to decipher the politico-hyroglyphics that are the most current regs regarding the subject. My EAA chapter has a meeting next weekend so I will see about others locally who are planning the trip as well. I will keep you informed.

I miss Pcola, especially the cheap golf on base. Be sure to check out a Wahoos game (MiLB).

I spent a week at Eglin waiting on an airplane to show up from Robins once, and spent some time in P-cola. It was off season or I'd have definately caught a game, really nice stadium there. The frozen yogurt place built into the stadium is quite tasty.....and that little park is a great place to consume your steamed shrimp from Joe Patty's....

Back