What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What of the UWO dorm rooms?

RV7ator

Well Known Member
If you've used the Univ. WI Non-AC dorm rooms, what do you think of the set-up? Which building were you in? These are the only accommodations available at the moment, and we won't be using HBC this year.

John Siebold

Works for us

My wife and I have been staying in the UWO dorms for about 30 years. I think we've been in every one of the buildings, but most recently in Scott. It's nothing special, just a dorm room with the bathroom down the hall (sometimes downstairs). But it is convenient, secure, dry, and most importantly my wife gets a hot shower every morning!

Like I said we've been doing this a long time, so we pretty well have it down to a science. My wife even has an Oshkosh checklist, so packing is just a matter of following the checklist.

It may not be for everyone, but it has worked well for us.

Good luck!

I appreciate the replies. UWO is atop the list because of regular inexpensive bus service. We aren't renting, er, buying, a car, and the shuttle bus fare for two is $50/day (last year); sorry Ripon College. And rooms are available. The EAA lodging website isn't working, and hotels as far as Madison, with the thought of commuting by RV, are booked.

That tip about the loo perhaps being on another floor is good. I've also requested a north or east facing room thinking it should be cooler.

Any other morsels to share?

John Siebold

UOW dorms

Been walking in to university of oskosh dorms last 4 years and getting rooms with no reservation and got a.c. rooms 3 times. Always rooms available.

I will give my feedback based upon my one and only experience of spending the week in a non-air conditioned room. You can decide for yourself if my experience holds merit for your circumstances. There are several benefits to staying in the dorms. Others have mentioned some and still others will give more. In my case, I will never stay in the dorms again. The #1 through 10 reasons: NO AIR CONDITIONING (repeat 10 times)!!! I am sorry but every single night I stayed in the dorm was in the top 7 worst nights of my life. Hot and no air movement is absolutely the worst environment for me to sleep. Now, be aware that I am an extremely hot natured individual so that had a great bearing on my experience. So if you think anything cooler than 80 degrees is down right cold then you will do just fine. It is just not how my body is configured. That's it for me. Fix that issue and I have little to say negatively about staying in the dorms.

As for alternatives, I am sure there are some nice houses that are around. However, having camped now for the better part of a decade, I find nothing else comes close to the experience of being immersed 24/7 in aviation while sleeping next to your plane.

Live Long and Prosper!
Look me up in Home Built Camping when you are there! :)

Last edited:
Up until last year, only Taylor hall had air conditioning. I stayed in Gruenhagen last year and the rooms were air conditioned. Now several other dorms are air conditioned and I know they have the goal of all being air conditioned soon. You might want to contact UWOSH and ask. Some dorms do have the alternate floor shower/restroom issues, but some do not. You can also ask about that when you call. Both Scott and Gruenhagen have showers for both on each floor. Taylor does not.

There also are now suites available, but my guess they are all sold out.

Good luck.

unbearable

I spent a couple nights in one of those dorms back in the eighties. It was totally unbearable. Daytime temps were over 100F that year, and it wasn't much cooler at night. To even attempt to sleep, I opened the only window. opened the door to the hallway, and lay there on the bed in my jockey shorts. At that point, I didn't much care if the people passing by got a thrill. I've never been back to Oshkosh. Good luck!

I stayed in one two years ago. They're dorm rooms. The only things I didn't like were the hike to the showers, and the paper-thin bottom bedsheet always slipped off of the vinyl covered mattress in the middle of the night. If you stay there, you may want to take along a decent twin bed fitted sheet at least. And don't forget to take a fan... the bigger the fan, the happier you will be.

Last year I camped in HBC. Honestly... not that much difference, comfort-wise and I didn't have to ride the bus twice a day.

Interesting, no pad atop a vinyl covered mattress. No way your skin can breathe on that. Fan, check. We've done HBC and GAC many times. Idea this year is avoid carrying the extra bulk and weight of the camping gear used only at OSH as we motor around the country afterwards. I have hopes an AC room will become available, and by a prior post it looks likely. Otherwise, forecast temps pushing 90 and we don't go.

Keep those comments coming! Thanks.

John Siebold

Bring a small 6 inch fan from Wal-Mart and place on the desk at the foot of your bed.

Get a room that faces North or at least East. Bus takes you right to the gate.

Oshkosh

John Siebold HBC is the way to go. Judie and I FedEx our camping gear to OSH from Texas and return $75.00 bucks. I have contributed to local EAA chapter, tax deductible, and a local EAA member took my stuff up and back. Works great and the government pays! See you there, I need technical advice.:)

Keep the YMCA on 20th in mind. They divide up their indoor soccer field into camping spots. You have access to all the services of the Y (showers and pool and ice hockey rink if you are so inclined). It is quiet, air conditioned and dry. You are minutes from the Brown lot and I have NEVER been in gridlock traffic. PM me for additional details.

A fan is a necessity for the dorms but if you have the capacity, take your own air conditioner. You'll need an extension cord for either. Also take some garbage bags and duct tape to seal the window for the a/c.
Dorm room 20160724.jpg

Dorms

I think the best thing about staying in the dorms is having breakfast. It's quite good (I like the waffles, you get to make them yourself with their high-tech waffle iron). Plus, you will meet lots of interesting people.

The bus ride is also a great start to the day - almost every person you sit with with has a story that would make an amazing novel.

If you need AC when it's over 80 degrees, you should find another option, since these rooms can be uncomfortable. I was usually so exhausted I slept no matter what, but not everyone enjoys sleeping in sweat.

Most interesting thing about the showers was the sign asking the university kids to limit the time they spent with the water on to 20 minutes!!! :D

The -7 can't carry an A/C along given everything else we'd bring even if we aren't schlepping camping gear. But...ah hah! It's $150 more for the minimum 3-night upgrade to A/C and for that change you can buy an adequately sized unit, then donate it to the next guy. It's just more complicated. I like the originality.

Chow availability is one upside to the dorms, and we'd likely ride the bus several times at least to see more of Oshkosh than Whittman Field, plus more restaurant options.

Noise is the only real downside to HBC, besides the extra gear (hat tip to Fred for the Fed-Ex suggestion). I'd like five minutes immunity from prosecution to quite down the obnoxious beer garden. We won't discuss the nocturnal road grader activity several years ago during Sloshkosh.

John Siebold

Back