What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X touch backup config

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Just wondering if there is a way to backup the configuration and save it in a file just in case. I see a folder in the menu when in the config mode, "Config file" but there is no option for it and when selected it, it is empty.

Also, does data logging only logs the flight or is there a way to log and perhaps replay the flight which includes the attitude/EIS info, and all other aspect of the flight?

If you have Garmin Pilot (I think you have to have it), you can upload any or all flightlogs to the Logbook on Flygarmin.com and display and drill into any of the 80+ parameters tracked.

Hello Mehrdad,

You don't need Garmin Pilot to upload your flight data. You can log into your FlyGarmin account, click on the Logbook feature at the top, then click on "Upload Flight Logs" to upload any of the SD card stored flight data logs collected by your G3X or G3X Touch system to create an entry in your logbook.

Really quick and easy way to see your flight on the map and all the engine and flight parameters. It even shows the flight director and armed/active autopilot modes as you re-fly your flight or instrument approach. The lateral and vertical deviation bars are shown on a mock PFD so you can see how well those were centered when flying an LPV or ILS approach.

In this example from my FlyGarmin Logbook I am re-playing an LPV approach that was flown last week. The GP is captured, the plane is 2.8 nm from the runway, and since the needles are both centered, you can tell the autopilot is flying!

ACtC-3ei-ogPVZvFPoxa1ChXQgThsf1W0U4gJcpYbS2sFAcqm-t199DXZ4w5MfTs80J3mS7bOk2Yg2oelGtdRS7mxFRC_Yfh7CO77L-n1oPOaN6VcW7QyXp-cM_ATL1mfmqJE9e-tbXcSFYTPX0gjOfdPxEC=w840

You can and should save your fuel probe calibration data to an SD card as explained in the installation manual so you never have to re-fill the fuel tanks should you lose your configuration, but for the rest you should retain a set of screen shots or video to capture your configuration settings. Your configuration is safely stored in the configuration module in the PFD backshell, so even if you replace one or more displays, the configuration is retained.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thank you Steve for detailed info. I will get a screen shot of each configuration page as I worry one day I may change things and want to revert it back. One other thing I noticed is that there is no option of existing config mode without safe&reboot. I just power cycle it since I had accidently made a change. It seems power cycle without save&reboot worked and retained my pervious config.

Do you know what config page icon is for. Mine is currently empty and there is no option in it.

I wish everyone at Garmin & else where a very happy holidays.

Hello Mehrdad,

You don't need Garmin Pilot to upload your flight data. You can log into your FlyGarmin account, click on the Logbook feature at the top, then click on "Upload Flight Logs" to upload any of the SD card stored flight data logs collected by your G3X or G3X Touch system to create an entry in your logbook.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Sure would be nice if that fancy WIFI interface built into the G3X Touch screens would connect to FlyGarmin for xfering database files and or flight logs. More and more of us have WIFI access in our hangars.

Hint Hint Hint.

Merry Christmas!

Hello Mehrdad,

Really quick and easy way to see your flight on the map and all the engine and flight parameters. It even shows the flight director and armed/active autopilot modes as you re-fly your flight or instrument approach. The lateral and vertical deviation bars are shown on a mock PFD so you can see how well those were centered when flying an LPV or ILS approach.

In this example from my FlyGarmin Logbook I am re-playing an LPV approach that was flown last week. The GP is captured, the plane is 2.8 nm from the runway, and since the needles are both centered, you can tell the autopilot is flying!

DufYPe7d2T6AU6xHwNN6gxyNT06tw9yt5e9JZSQE0KIzNLaan9ziDtIMvCXL8tdEQFLoh1C_s_hoLTZqyXJ7jBaOlIj2bhbbCBDU2YhEgiqaHaxhjtqUMLeuJEmaPFL_-jh0IdahNDFM-msvedpzH8qeKHpSMvgAjvPdIdIqxN0goNmDh_obMp_5wGPQ2jwkWirOSb9Ouwy2MMLrvm-bTCvYZuSSOovYV-Jjqe6qfmrDmjeItzx29K9MlwuwL7yVoNC224ZFf94ATMFt2Sf6VlFklzEcrxvRgKDOb7ZcF4GszZM-Ho1oHCK8v2f83MNwkmQSAxizrkkyratxtWk4zTyy1sOWuuFIJYFtNvhsO_9hyLXy_X_Ykt70RXHOCbyvPuNVIHPu_nAivirp9Hi4e5ET-SdPyK4_Brpvr6a9IxNW1b2Vub-uOOjQRDABxaox3grhN_ZQ407UctetDZbtbnGT4HR52uLH5Fs4Ri0QCUZtj5l-uH7AywQwboZhnhKK-ZxRwDFocKPrGRfSNTzGB0EZEETrGhK1GuF3OlEm6-UmPUR_n1l2b95z7CcvIUtqLoVBipfu1mHNAkpLfYnrjvmNKQpWP5NejReycRvupWfVpgO3EX5NPnKsLSr0-xRUFWI_mQS9gQLosbOcxbyNu0jU=w840

You can and should save your fuel probe calibration data to an SD card as explained in the installation manual so you never have to re-fill the fuel tanks should you lose your configuration, but for the rest you should retain a set of screen shots or video to capture your configuration settings. Your configuration is safely stored in the configuration module in the PFD backshell, so even if you replace one or more displays, the configuration is retained.

Thanks,
Steve

That is insanely cool - can't wait to do this. Back to the shop....

There are several more display sections not shown in that screenshot. One is particular allows graphing of your selection of flight and engine parameters much like savvyanalysis has on their website. You can view the entire flight or zero in all the way to a few seconds of data. I found it invaluable in isolating a misbehaving PMag.

It?s VERY cool and useful - I?m surprised Garmin doesn?t toot their horn more on this great feature.

Just wondering if there is a way to backup the configuration and save it in a file just in case.

Are you thinking about if the magic goes out of the EFIS, and needs to be reloaded??

Can you save a copy to a thumb drive like GRT does?? Makes reload easy if needed.

Are you thinking about if the magic goes out of the EFIS, and needs to be reloaded??

Can you save a copy to a thumb drive like GRT does?? Makes reload easy if needed.
Hi Mike,
This is what I was thinking but it does not look like Garmin has this option.

Back