What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BlueTooth Module for Aux Audio?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these inexpensive Bluetooth modules designed to plug in to an Aux In jack so you can pair your phone to a simple radio. Here?s just one example a Google search turned up:

https://www.amazon.com/APEKX-Blueto...7127&sr=8-9&keywords=bluetooth+module+for+car

My current project is a small single seater (no intercom) with only one Comm radio (an MGL V-16), so no need for an audio panel of any kind. I plan to fly mostly with my helmet, so not going to go with a headset with a BT receiver. The radio doesn?t have built in BT, but it does have an Aux Audio IN port - hence the question.

I?d rather not plug my iPhone in with a cable - to many cables/hoses in the cockpit with O2 as well - so thinking BT.

Anyone have any experinces to share?

Paul

I use one

Paul,

I use one in my -9A to listen to podcasts while cruising. Mine is only one way from my phone to the audio system. Works really well, but it sounds simpler that what you are going to do. One charge seems to last forever.

I don't miss the extra cable.....

Paul,

I use one in my -9A to listen to podcasts while cruising. Mine is only one way from my phone to the audio system. Works really well, but it sounds simpler that what you are going to do. One charge seems to last forever.

I don't miss the extra cable.....

Thanks Pete - that?s all I am looking for - one way to teh audio system. That way I can pair either the phone or the iPad, whichever is more convenient.

I put one in my Husky. Looks like the same one but by Taotronics model TT-BA07. 2 in one transmitter (It can link to two devices at once). I have two Bose A20 Bluetooth headsets. Woola! Don't need a Bluetooth audio panel to run stereo SXM from the GDL-52 to the headsets. Alas the Garmin GDL-52 can only link to 1 device. Very happy with the TaoTronics.

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-B...taneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=asc_df_B01EHSX28M

Jim Ivey

Last edited:
MPOW

I use an MPOW. Last all day and then some. They cost $15 and sound surprisingly good, especially for the price. No cables to deal with, plugs right into the aux jack.:cool:

Not an expert on this, but seems like a consideration here is whether the aux input is set up for stereo or just mono. I think the bluetooth modules are typically stereo so if your aux input is only mono you may only hear one channel. I?m sure there is a work around for that, just raising the issue.

Erich

Thanks everybody - all good inputs! Vern - I forgot about that thread - great info there. I also like the link to the hardwired unit - install behind the panel and forget it.

Paul

Oops. I need to learn to read.

The hardwired unit is a reciever. The TaoTronics unit I am using is a transmitter. I didn't realize you were wanting to go the other direction sending audio back into a hardware jack. I missed that important nuance. I re-read the original post more carefully. ;) Sounds like you a combo transmit/recieve Bluetooth device for a bi-directional phone comes which might take a jack with more rings than a standard 1/8" stereo jack.

Jim Ivey

Last edited:
Keep in mind your audio input line likely is just that, input only. To use your cell phone to make calls, you'll need a four-conductor jack (L,R,Mic,Gnd) and a Bluetooth module with similar wiring.

Vern-- I don't understand the resistor terminology on that thread. What is 150R, 2k0, and 10R, please?

Dang, for like a hundred years I've been using European nomenclature. 150R is 150 ohms, 2K0 is 2.0 kohms and so on. The units designator replaces the decimal point. That's because in the olden days blueprints were hard to read and decimal points would disappear.

V

Back