What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1, Vans Tech Support

Geico266

Well Known Member
We have all been there when building, or working on a plane you just bought flying. You have an issue and feeling a little frustrated so you call the Van Aircraft Tech Support Hotline.

But what about the RV-1? :confused:

This is the kind of humorous good time everyone has working on the plane. We were working on a clamp to hold the mixture control to the firewall when one of the guys holds up a black cable and says; "Has anyone figured out what this black cable does?" It is marked "Choke" on the pilot's side, but the standard carb does not have a choke. Carb heat? The air box is gone being rebuilt, but no one remembered seeing carb heat on it. It was gone when I got there.

My idea was call Vans Tech Support! ;) Everyone had a good laugh, since this was the first RV it was assumed there are no manuals. I still think we should call Ken Scott just to get a good laugh out of him.

Anyone have any ideas on what the cable did? Cabin heat maybe?

Last edited:
Well, at least if they "escalate the issue to the highest level," you'll end up talking to the guy who built it in the first place!

--
Stephen

I haven't seen any sign of cabin heat in the airplane....and the airbox definitely doesn't have a Carb heat input....could have been an oil cooler shutter at one time - or a control for the hyperdrive that Van was working on at one time.... :)

I agree Larry - YOU should call Ken Scott! ;)

I can help with that!

Van was thinking ahead to the RV-12 with the Rotax and forgot to remove the "choke" cable after abandoning the idea.

Anyone have any ideas on what the cable did? Cabin heat maybe?

The RV-1 has passed through four owners from the date Van sold it in 1968 until now, and from what we see today it appears that each owner added a few of their own personal touches to the aircraft. Mr. Ted Filer of Baytown, Texas, was the last owner of the RV-1 (1989-2011), and given his intimate knowledge of the aircraft I'll bet he has the answer to the mysterious cable question. I'll follow-up with Mr. Filer next week and advise.

In the meantime, I think a call to Ken Scott is in order. --

"Hi, Ken... we're working on the RV-1 and have a question about a cable that's installed in the aircraft marked 'Choke' on the pilot's side. We've checked the plans and can't find a call out for this cable, and we're at a stand-still with the firewall forward work because we're concerned that this cable may be a critical safety issue. The carb doesn't have a choke, and we need your advice about what to do with the cable. Is it possible that you can check your plans set for a call out description?"

The RV-1 has passed through four owners from the date Van sold it in 1968 until now, and from what we see today it appears that each owner added a few of their own personal touches to the aircraft. Mr. Ted Filer of Baytown, Texas, was the last owner of the RV-1 (1989-2011), and given his intimate knowledge of the aircraft I'll bet he has the answer to the mysterious cable question. I'll follow-up with Mr. Filer next week and advise.

In the meantime, I think a call to Ken Scott is in order. --

"Hi, Ken... we're working on the RV-1 and have a question about a cable that's installed in the aircraft marked 'Choke' on the pilot's side. We've checked the plans and can't find a call out for this cable, and we're at a stand-still with the firewall forward work because we're concerned that this cable may be a critical safety issue. The carb doesn't have a choke, and we need your advice about what to do with the cable. Is it possible that you can check your plans set for a call out description?"

While you have Ken on the phone ask him were the 3 electrode massive spark plugs came from? ;)

Oh, and while you are at it ask him why Vans does not offer a 0-290G engine baffel kit.

Last edited:
Back