What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Timing

rvdave

Well Known Member
For those with Lightspeed plasma III Ignition what have you found to be the best timing for lop operation?

Dave, that's a tough question to answer. "Best" is highly dependent on a huge number of variables. CR, chamber type, exhaust, induction, altitude and degree of LOP come immediately to mind. The only way to know for sure is to test your bird, the way you fly.

I have dual lightspeed, came from Mattituck timed at 37deg advanced at idle 850 rpm. Manual says 40 +- 2 so retimed to 40 deg. Seemed to make a little difference lop smoothness. Lower altitudes seem better at lop but I?m looking for better performance at above 8000. Have balanced injectors to optimum. Klaus says lop requires more advanced timing? And also that larger plug gaps do better for lop operation? Mine came with denso ik01-24 racing plugs which are iridium slant ground electrode. According to denso they come pregapped to .0275 and is optimum for that plug. Klaus says should be gapped to .032. I tried that and is worse lop, but I?ve found that top plugs at .027 and bottoms at .032 seem to give me best lop operation at altitude. Above 8000 I have rough running below 12 gph but lower altitudes I can get to 9.5 at 2300, 21?. So I don?t know if it?s a timing issue or plug issue?

Back