What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview HDX audio noise

madmaveric

Well Known Member
I seem to have some noise on the passenger side of my build but I'm not sure of the next steps to take so thought I would ask on here.

I have the SkyView HDX kit (European), engine is not in (so no firewall forward) but the GPS is connected. I have added the extra camera out socket with the two resisters as specified.

If I'm plugged into pilots side and the PM3000-RV switch set to up it is fine.
(I believe this isolates the passenger side but it is slightly confusing as it has a three position switch, but only a two position label that does't quite line up)

The following tests all produce a hiss and data noise that lines up with data on serial port 1 (not sure where that goes to as it doesn't show any unit on there)

• Plugged into pilots side and the PM3000-RV switch set to middle or down.
  • Plugged into passenger side the noise is constant regardless of switch.
  • Plugged into pilots side and passenger sockets disconnected (via the molex plug connecting to the jacks).
  • GPS/transponder unplugged.
  • Hiss is louder when screen brightness is reduced using the pot in the center panel

I have tested the earths while disconnected and the headset grounds are all ok (isolated) and the external camera socket is grounded ok via the nut (this was also un-ground to see if it helped but it made no difference).

If this was both sides I would assume it is the issue others have noticed (in that it can't be picked up during flight) but as it is different on both sides I'm guessing there is something else going on here.

I recorded a video of the issue, you can clearly hear the noise and interference.
I had the gopro sat in the pilots headset, the passenger one is the same but still has noise when the comms are set to iso (this points to an issue on the passenger side circuit I guess).
Still not found the issue so any tips to try would be welcome.

https://youtu.be/-P98k-ZIm8E

Make sure there are no flourescent lights on nearby and if you have any USB power ports, disconnect them as well.

Disconnect the wires to the jack under the seat and trace back until the interference stops. That will help uo trace when the noise is introduced

Good tips thanks.

Battery charger is removed during testing.
I hadn't thought of the lights, there are 6 florescent lights in the shed so I will try turning them off next test round.
While testing above the pulsing sound went away (the one that lined up with serial data being sent) and has't come back yet so I'm not sure what is going on with that.

I had another go at tuning the pots and it got better (the hiss is now low but still less on 'iso' and more on 'all' on the comms), I will have another go tomorrow to see if it is coming from the lights.
I'm a little confused as the EFIS (L) didn't seem to do a lot. I tuned using the EFIS (R) mainly. I'm not sure of the meaning of the 'L' and 'R' on these.

The aux in jack (music port between the seats) isn't working now (it was a few days ago) so I'm not sure if that is connected to the non-noise sounds that also stopped.

I tried looking at tracing the right side jacks back but I think they just go right into the module so disconnecting them there wouldn't make any difference.

More testing tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back