What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming landing gear legs question

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
My main landing gear legs look kind of sand blasted.
What surface preparation is recommended before I shoot 2k epoxy primer on them?
Thanks for your input on that

If they look sandblasted i.e. textured and clean I would say nothing - just shoot them. I scrubbed mine with 220 grit paper to make sure there was no surface crud. But sand blasting is an excellent prep, then a wipe down with a degreaser. Alcohol or acetone works.

I used Rustoleum Industrial spray can paint over the acetone-cleaned legs. Seems to be working fine.

Hi Guys,
I've got a mate with a 12. Had to replace the gear legs last year due to intregranular corrosion. It occurred near the bottom of both gear legs, at the leading edge near where the brakes are attached, just outside of the gear fairings. Small chips in the paint in the area, and the corrosion had spread from where those paint chips were. He operates out of a grass strip most of the time. He put some prop tape along the leading edge of the gear in those areas after painting the new legs.
Cheers,
Joe

Hi Guys,
I've got a mate with a 12. Had to replace the gear legs last year due to intregranular corrosion. It occurred near the bottom of both gear legs, at the leading edge near where the brakes are attached, just outside of the gear fairings. Small chips in the paint in the area, and the corrosion had spread from where those paint chips were. He operates out of a grass strip most of the time. He put some prop tape along the leading edge of the gear in those areas after painting the new legs.
Cheers,
Joe

Any pictures?

An answer

Called Van's today as I had the same question - was told that the landing gear finish as shipped is bead blasted aluminum. Looks like sand blasting to me too!

So. I'll zinc chromate them and then finish with Stewart's primer and finish coats. Hope that this helps.

Back