What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 vertical stab mounting mod

moll780

Well Known Member
Has anyone done this mod?
Just curious. I'll be checking this plate in the annual and was thinking of adding this.

Easy to install. Sturdy materials. Affordable. Glance back at the tail when you practice a stall.... you will be surprised at the shaking.
I like the modification.

I have no idea whether this mod is good or not, but remember, counter-intuitive as it may be, that reinforcing something is not always a good thing. Putting a steel plate over the existing joint may very well siimply transfer the load to a part of the VS that is not designed for a greater load.

Last edited:
awesome!
What bolts will you use for the new drilled holes? Thats what I want to know and whether you have to replace the existing bolts with longer ones to accommodate the plate.

I may just order this too depending on your installation success.

Hi,
I just ordered mod, once I receive I will send update on install.

I decided to do something slightly different. The slotted holes on the vertical stabilizer mounting bracket don't seem to provide the bolt head enough surface area, and that is probably why cracks can form here. I put some larger fender washers under the heads of the bolts.

IMG_4848-M.jpg

Of course, this will be looked at carefully during inspection time.

I decided to do something slightly different. The slotted holes on the vertical stabilizer mounting bracket don't seem to provide the bolt head enough surface area, and that is probably why cracks can form here. I put some larger fender washers under the heads of the bolts.

IMG_4848-M.jpg

Of course, this will be looked at carefully during inspection time.

Now you can't see the crack under the washers if it develops. You will need to remove the bolts each inspection to check.

awesome!
What bolts will you use for the new drilled holes? Thats what I want to know and whether you have to replace the existing bolts with longer ones to accommodate the plate.

I may just order this too depending on your installation success.

I'm mounting the tail for the first time. And planning on using vans supplied hardware. I received the mod and its simply two fabricated stainless steel brackets (as pictured from website)

Back