What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 firewall forward part list

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi.
I would like to order finishing kit and engine (IO-360 180HP) for my -4.

I would also like to order the firewall forward stuff for that engine.

Does anyone has a parts list in order to have a rough idea of what needed?

Thanks.
Camillo

Last edited:
Prego...

Hi.
I would like to order finishing kit and engine (IO-360) for my -4.

I would also like to order the firewall forward stuff for that engine.

Does anyone has a parts list in order to have a rough idea of what needed?

Thanks.
Camillo

Camillo,
I assume you are building your RV4 with an IO-360 planned? Angle valve or parallel valve (A1A or A1B6)? The angle valve is a very tight squeeze in the RV4 cowling. Either one will require the 0-360 cowl (specify with Van's) as the Carb or TBI are larger.
Having done this for several guys in the past I will give you some advice, the IO-360 is more power but a bit heavier and a tight cowl fit. A healthy I0-320 will work very well. That said, here is what you will need to specify for the 0-360 RV4 finishing kit:

New IO-360 baffling (BAF-4-360)
0-360 cowl and scoop
Minimum 7 row oil cooler.
New hoses/fuel lines and scat tubes.
4-pipe exhaust from Vetterman

More items are required but this is a good start. My advice is to go with an IO-320, keep it light and simple with more room under the bonnet.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Thank-you, Smokey.

I opted for an IO-360 parallel valve instead of the IO-320 to have those 20 HP more, provided that I will install a fixed pitch. I usually operate from 450 meters airstrips and would like a short take-off airplane.
I know that an IO-320 is plenty enough, but the IO-360 180HP is some 4.5 Kg. more weight than the IO-320. Changing the PC-680 with an Aerovoltz LifePo4 battery will itslef absorb the difference. So, more power, same weight. Power is good, also because here there is a continuous competition on who is faster... (you know, the RVs are our big toys).

Camillo

Logic dictates...

S
Thank-you, Smokey.

I opted for an IO-360 parallel valve instead of the IO-320 to have those 20 HP more, provided that I will install a fixed pitch. I usually operate from 450 meters airstrips and would like a short take-off airplane.
I know that an IO-320 is plenty enough, but the IO-360 180HP is some 4.5 Kg. more weight than the IO-320. Changing the PC-680 with an Aerovoltz LifePo4 battery will itslef absorb the difference. So, more power, same weight. Power is good, also because here there is a continuous competition on who is faster... (you know, the RVs are our big toys).

Camillo

No worries Camillo,
My home strip is 550m and I removed my RVX 0-320 in lieu of an 0-360J2A, lighter than a stock 0-360A1A. With a Catto-2 blade, takeoff climb and cruise slightly improved over the 0-320 but not as much as you would think, 5% overall. I did reduce my overall weight by 7lbs from the 0-320 by removing the belt drive alt in lieu of a B&C SD-8 and using a magnesium flywheel. http://www.skydynamics.com/sdflywheel.htm If you can get your RV4 final weight at 950lbs/430 Kilos or less you will have fantastic performance.

Everybody always asks how fast I can go and I normally answer "fast enough", more importantly how "slow you can go?" As you know, in Dogfights (1V1's), Aerobatics and STOL operations, slow speed finesse is the true mastery of the machine IMHO.
Going fast just takes more Euros...

Ciao!
Smokey

Last edited:
Does anybody know which is the right spinner kit for the 3-blade Catto propeller?

I believe:
13" Fixed pitch spinner kit for Wooden props.
Part Number = SPINNER, FP-13

Am i right?
Thanks.
Camillo

IO-360 and cowl

Camillo,
I assume you are building your RV4 with an IO-360 planned? Angle valve or parallel valve (A1A or A1B6)? The angle valve is a very tight squeeze in the RV4 cowling. Either one will require the 0-360 cowl (specify with Van's) as the Carb or TBI are larger.
Having done this for several guys in the past I will give you some advice, the IO-360 is more power but a bit heavier and a tight cowl fit. A healthy I0-320 will work very well. That said, here is what you will need to specify for the 0-360 RV4 finishing kit:

New IO-360 baffling (BAF-4-360)
0-360 cowl and scoop
Minimum 7 row oil cooler.
New hoses/fuel lines and scat tubes.
4-pipe exhaust from Vetterman

More items are required but this is a good start. My advice is to go with an IO-320, keep it light and simple with more room under the bonnet.

V/R
Smokey

Smokey,
I placed my order for an IO-360 M1B 180HP horizontal induction engine and finishing kit.

Van's just wrote me telling that they don't have a cowl for that FI engine, asking me to go with a carbureted engine.

Do you know which parts should I have to order, please? An O-360 cowl - which has an air scoop below? That's all? Or should I order other parts?

Thanks.
Camillo

Cleared for the option...

Smokey,
I placed my order for an IO-360 M1B 180HP horizontal induction engine and finishing kit.

Van's just wrote me telling that they don't have a cowl for that FI engine, asking me to go with a carbureted engine.

Do you know which parts should I have to order, please? An O-360 cowl - which has an air scoop below? That's all? Or should I order other parts?

Thanks.
Camillo

Camillo,
You can fit a Bendix or Airflow Performance FI under a stock Van's Carb scoop/cowl with little modification. Van's FAB may not work however I have built several Air Boxes that work satisfactory. The Harmon Rocket setup also works great. http://www.harmonrocket.com/#!vstc1=parts-and-materials
Fuel Injector servo size is very similar in dimension to the Carb. Much depends on where your engines sump intake is located. You can opt for a forward induction sump and fit either FI servo and omit the scoop altogether. I built a snorkel plumbed to a 2" SCAT to the baffling for a friends IO-360 RV4 with this setup that worked great.

Or....You can order an Anders Carbon Fiber Cowl or Sam James cowling. Both will require fitting a plenum. I will FWD links and photos when I can locate them....

http://www.jamesaircraft.com/RV-4.html
Sam James
http://www.advancedaero.com/vans.html
Carbon Components
:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
big engine rv-4

I agree with Smokey Ray,

If you operate at a lower altitude airport a 320 will give you plenty of performance maybe consider putting that money into a C/S prop. My 320 powered rv-4 can outrun many 180hp airplanes. Nothing flys like a 320 RV-4 except maybe a -3.

cm

Thank-you very much, Smokey. And thank-you, Chris.

Actually, after many - included Van's personnel - told me an IO-320 is plenty enough power, I am switching into an IO-320.

I will maintain the Catto propeller, though. The MT even two blades, is too much money for me now. And I doubt it is necessary.

Thanks.
Camillo

Wise choice...

Thank-you very much, Smokey. And thank-you, Chris.

Actually, after many - included Van's personnel - told me an IO-320 is plenty enough power, I am switching into an IO-320.

I will maintain the Catto propeller, though. The MT even two blades, is too much money for me now. And I doubt it is necessary.

Thanks.
Camillo

Camillo,
I flew the IO-320/Catto (1st RV prop prototype) on my RV4 for 10 years. Craig makes spinners pre-cut to fit all his props. You will love it! Catto takeoff climb performance with the new blade design will nearly match constant speed takeoff performance and exceed climb/cruise performance. I recently compared my RVX alongside a 210HP RV7A with a Hartzell BA. With the exception of initial takeoff acceleration I easily caught and stayed alongside in a full power climb to 5K actually throttling back to stay in formation. My cruise power settings were identical to the 7A which has a 40HP advantage. Catto props are bellisimo!

Also, the current Vans pre-preg glass cowling is far superior to any competitors. It fits well, is easily filled, primed and painted and light weight.
When you order your IO-320, consider flow matching or 9.0:1 comp if they offer it.

You have chosen wisely...:)
Ciao!
Smokey

Italiano!

Camillo,
HO volato IO-320/Catto (1\'b0 RV prop prototipo) sul mio RV4 per 10 anni. Craig rende i filatori pre-tagliati per adattarsi a tutti i suoi arredi scenici. Vi piacer\'e0! Catto decollo salire le prestazioni con il nuovo design della lama quasi presa con velocit\'e0 costante delle prestazioni e superare salita/le prestazioni in regime di crociera. Recentemente ho confrontato il mio RVX a fianco di un 210HP RV7A con un'BA. Con l'eccezione di decollo iniziale accelerazione MI catturati facilmente e siamo stati a fianco di una potenza massima salita a 5K in realt\'e0 lo strozzamento tornare in formazione. My cruise impostazioni di alimentazione erano identici alla 7A che ha un 40HP vantaggio. Catto puntelli sono bellisimo!

Inoltre, l'attuale furgoni pre-preg vetro cofano \'e8 di gran lunga superiore a qualsiasi concorrente. Si adatta bene, e8 facilmente riempito, innescata e dipinto e peso leggero.
Quando si ordina la IO-320, portata corrispondente o 9,0 :1 comp se offrono.

Si \'e8 scelto saggiamente... :)
Ciao!\
Smokey}

Last edited:
Back