What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy rear slider block

truflite

Well Known Member
Finally got a chance to work on the canopy frame. I just finished installing 550 square feet of laminate flooring and moldings. So, from a previous post here, I found that I needed to cut 1/2 inch off the the front bow to lower the bow to the proper height with respect to the roll bar. On the money there but, the gap between the square side tube and the canopy deck was way out of range. I checked all dimensions and placements, everything is where it should be except the rear bow was way too low. Again, everything measures good. The only way to raise the rear bow would be to remake the rear sliding block and make it taller by 1/4 inch. The job took about an hour on my mill and looks good. Placed on the track and bolted to the frame, the rear bow is now 1/16 inch low from the forward aft skin per plans. The only deviation now will be that the rear of the canopy will sit 1/4 inch higher when open. I do not think this is a problem. Glad I have the lathe and mill in the basement, they have come in handy more than once on my build.

Take care and fly safe.

How much higher than the roll bar did you set your front canopy frame bow? While Vans' plans say 3/8", I've seen 3/16" in their auxiliary canopy instructions and other people's builds. I think I went with somewhere in between.

UM, some one on here sugested that you do not drill-mount the rear top slide bar untill you are near finished with the skirts, that worked out well for me. Sliding it forward or rear gave me unlimited adjustment for ht on the rear, real important to get a good fit for the rear top skirt. on the front I think I trimed 3/8" off the tubes for the rollers.

Frame height

I set the frame height to the plans at 3/8 inch. Here is the problem with going lower. With the frame set where it is, the distance between the square side rail and the canopy deck (F-721?) is already too low. I am not sure if the sheet aluminum that attaches to the square tube of the frame and has the large offset in is even going to work as it appears it will interfere with the slider track mounted on the canopy deck. Anybody else have this problem and what did you do?

What year is your kit, mine was perfect and I did not have to bend Any of it. My finish kit is 2013. I think they did a lot better on the slider canopy frame. If the square part of the frame does not match your fuselage you have to bend it and make it match.

Finishing Kit

My finishing kit is 2013. The fit on the sides is perfect. I will not tweak it one bit. The front bow is per plans at 3/8 inch from the roll bar. The rear bow is 1/16 below the skin per plans. The side bars are within 1/8 inch of each other per plans except they are lower than the 1 inch plus shown on the plans. Calipers say .960 inches from the bottom of the square tube to the top of the slider track. Should be around 1.25 inches for that dimension.

Interesting, all three of your post read 90 post for you? anyway, I dont think that measurment is that critical, you are going to trim the front bottom portion of the skirt anyway, and if you are going Silka on the windshield, you have lots of room to make a custom fit, I think, just thinking out loud, this is my first build so........

Back