What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Baggage Upper Cover

truflite

Well Known Member
On the Upper baggage cover, there is a bent edge for sealing an edge, I presume. Is this edge the bottom of the cover or is it cut away when cutting the radii? If it is the bottom, the screws will collapse this bend when they are tightened. What say you?

The baggage bulkhead is in 2 pieces, an upper and lower. The top edge of the lower piece has a flange that points aft and gets the plastic pieces riveted on for smooth seat belt cable travel. The upper piece does not have any flanges and overlaps the top of the bottom piece.

Mine is a QB and these were already cut. But that's the way they should end up. Hopefully, we're talking about the same thing. :)

Baggage Cover

I am building a slow go kit. The lower cover is as you described it. The upper has one long edge that is flat. The other edge has a slight bend in it 1/4 inch from the edge.

I have seen pictures showing screws that hold the upper to the lower collapsing the bend and I have seen pictures where the flat edge is used and there is no collapsing, just a smooth joint left to right.

Which way is correct or does it even matter?

The upper baggage bulkhead cover has the lower edge with the 1/4" bend. You cut the other side to make the rounded upper edge.

You can sort of see it in this picture.
IMG2015-M.jpg

The screws won't flatten this edge much, and it gives a tighter seal against the lower bulkhead cover.

Another misc tip for the baggage bulkhead ...

You can glue small triangular shaped pieces of foam in the V- shaped gussets - at the outside edges - to minimize (or eliminate) the infiltration of air at those points. if you fly in cold weather, it drastically improves cabin comfort. :D

Back