What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6061-T6 Aluminum Angle

RV74ME

Well Known Member
So I have to re-fabricate F-710B which is made from 6061-T6 .125x1x1 angle that the horizontal stab attaches to. I ordered the new angle from Aircraft Spruce, and the invoice says it's 6061-T6...but there is nothing stamped on the angle itself.

Obviously being a very critical piece, I am stressing about whether or not it is the correct type. Is there a way to determine this, or should I order another piece from Van's instead?

Ask them for a material cert? I used to get them all the time from material suppliers when I worked on certified aircraft.

I would not be too concerned. As long as the edges do not have sharp corners (indicating possibly 6063 alloy) the alloy is most likely 6061 or 2024. If 2024 it is actually stronger than 6061.

I would not be too concerned. As long as the edges do not have sharp corners (indicating possibly 6063 alloy) the alloy is most likely 6061 or 2024. If 2024 it is actually stronger than 6061.

2024 IS stronger but it is not very corrosion resistant. 6061 is VERY corrosion resistant.

Not material related,but when you size F-710B, make it a little bit larger, test fit and file it down until it slips into place. My first attempt exactly as per drawings ended up a little too short and I could see I would have hole distance issues with the two AN3 bolts in that area.

I also rounded two horizontal ends so they nested nicely into the longerons maximizing the material around the bolts.

I just checked my old and scrap stock. :)

None of the 6061-T6 angles, both from Vans and Spruce had any printing on them.

By comparison, some 2024-T3 angles just purchased from Spruce were continuously marked on an inside face.

The difference may be that the 6061 stuff is a common stocked item for commercial use - our local metals store carries it - while the 2024 stuff may be a bit more oriented to aviation use.

Good advise

Not material related,but when you size F-710B, make it a little bit larger, test fit and file it down until it slips into place. My first attempt exactly as per drawings ended up a little too short and I could see I would have hole distance issues with the two AN3 bolts in that area.

I also rounded two horizontal ends so they nested nicely into the longerons maximizing the material around the bolts.

+1. What he said. You want that part nested like it was poured into the longerons.
I just drilled my HS. That's a common place for problems.

+1. What he said. You want that part nested like it was poured into the longerons.
I just drilled my HS. That's a common place for problems.

Yes, precisely why I am replacing. I was about to rivet on the aft deck and wasnt happy with the edge distance so i drilled it out.

Thanks

Yes, precisely why I am replacing. I was about to rivet on the aft deck and wasnt happy with the edge distance so i drilled it out.

Thanks

Way to recognize the issue and go about making it right. That's a good attitude.
This is one area where a template can be useful to check the fit before you fabricate the part.
For some parts, the dimmensions shown are just a suggestion or good starting point ;) There are variances in every build.

Back