What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView map screen turned orange!

Top Cat

Well Known Member
SkyView map screen turned red!

Airplane has been flying perfectly and Skyview has been great. Until today.

After start up today the map section assumed an orange/red color. Every other aspect of Skyview worked as per normal.

Its a Skyview Touch single screen set-up with SV 13.03 and all the updates are current.

If I touch the screen e.g.. touch the + or - sign on the screen to change the range the proper map color comes in, but as soon as I take my finger off it goes back the orange hue.

The route, obstacles, traffic, airports etc are all there as per normal but the orange is blocking out key features such as a Class C airspace near me. As I was flying trying to figure it out it occurred to me that it was like being in a TFR but?.there is no active TFR anywhere near where I was flying.

I tried looking through manual, on this site and haven't found anything. There are no warnings or flags saying if there is a problem. I shut it down and started it up a couple of times and it does the same thing.

The PFD and EMS sections are completely normal.

I tried calling Dynon Tech Support but its a Saturday.

So the question is?.has anyone seen this before? Can anyone point to anywhere in a manual that would explain the problem and offer a fix? Could this be a glitch in Skyview or the info Skyview is getting through ADSB?

I've already had to send this unit back because of a faulty memory module. I have a 2014 RV-12 SLSA!

Thanks for any help!:(

Last edited:
Yes had the same thing happen to me

I was flying from Wilmington DE to Atlanta today and noticed the screen turning red as I zoomed into the level that would show TFRs. I turned off TRFs and the red went away. At first I thought it was normal because I was in the Washington area but as I move out of the area it stayed red. It's some type of software bug that apparently is affecting the displaying of TFRs. I did take screen prints to send to Dynon, but left the USB drive in the plane so that will have to wait.

I've just been going through the user manual and the best I can see is that the color I'm seeing is the same red/orange you'd get if you were flying in an active TFR. Except I wasn't in a TFR.
However, it looks just like you're flying in one from what I'm reading in the User Manual. Yes, it was the same no matter what zoom level.

I almost thought this today but the nearest TFR was a stadium TFR miles away and surface to 3000' and I was at 4500'.

Perhaps it is some kind of weird bug?:confused:

Last edited:
Mine has started that too, I suspect it's a terrain warning problem, but haven't pursued it with Dynon yet...

I was flying from Wilmington DE to Atlanta today and noticed the screen turning red as I zoomed into the level that would show TFRs. I turned off TRFs and the red went away. At first I thought it was normal because I was in the Washington area but as I move out of the area it stayed red. It's some type of software bug that apparently is affecting the displaying of TFRs. I did take screen prints to send to Dynon, but left the USB drive in the plane so that will have to wait.

I'm in SC near Columbia, is that on your route today to Atlanta?

How did you turn off TFRs?

Yes

I'm in SC near Columbia, is that on your route today to Atlanta?

How did you turn off TFRs?

The red covered most of Virginia, all of North Carolina and most of South Carolina and some of Georgia. It is a TFR gone bad because when you turn off TFRs the red goes away. The TFR info comes from the ADSB stream, so there must be some data that the Dynon software is not able to display correctly. I had no issues on the way up on Wednesday, just today on the way back. So it may be back to normal by tomorrow or the next few days.

To turn off TFRs go into map options, then I think item displays, you will see a long list scroll down to TFRs and set to off.

Last edited:
The red covered most of Virginia, all of North Carolina and most of South Carolina and some of Georgia. It is a TFR gone bad because when you turn off TFRs the red goes away. The TFR info comes from the ADSB stream, so there must be some data that the Dynon software is not able to display correctly. I had no issues on the way up on Wednesday, just today on the way back. So it may be back to normal by tomorrow or the next few days.

To turn off TFRs go into map options, then I think item displays, you will see a long list scroll down to TFRs and set to off.

Thanks John?thought I was going crazy for a minute!:eek:

At the airplane today and SkyView is displaying the same thing.

As it boots up its orange (like the color for a stadium TFR) then it goes to red (like for an active TFR).

No TFRs in my area. Looks like either a Dynon glitch or some glitch being uploaded via ADSB.

I'll have to call Dynon tech Support on Monday and see if they know anything.

Had the same thing happen for portions of So Fla today. Turns out there is a TFR tomorrow for an ADS-B test relating to air defense/military. That is what is appearing as the red-orange over large map areas.

Steve,

Thanks for the info, how did you find out about it? Wonder why they didn't put it out as a NOTAM?:confused:

Last edited:
Talked to Mike at Dynon Tech Support and he told me is a glitch in SV 13.03 which will be corrected in SV 13.1 due out early January.

*Thread Creep Warning**

If I recall correctly, the new SW release is required for the GPS2020 implementation. So if the next SW release is scheduled for early Jan it sounds like they are going to miss fall for the GPS2020 release.

Back