What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1 or 2 radios on SkyView

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I am building an RV-8, and the panel will be all Dynon Skyview.
I am trying to decide on 1 or 2 radios. I would like to leave the option to make the plane IFR in the future, and I know that implies dual radios, but that is not required at this point.

For people flying with a SkyView and a Dynon radio, with the ability to send frequencies from the PFD to the radio, do you see the need for two radios to reduce cockpit workload, or not?

Pretaxi, I set Tower and ATIS.
After checking ATIS, switch to Tower and Ground.
During flight, Change Ground to SoCal practice area (or enroute frequency)
During approach, Tower and ATIS. Get clearance, and change ATIS to Ground.

It's not optimal on a single radio system, but my question is will the SkyView capability reduce the workload so only one is needed, or would two still be better?

I also understand the need for redundancy, and I guess my glider background makes me feel less afraid of a radio failure, but any word on the failure rate of the Dynon radio? Does that make a 2nd radio called for? Or flying in SoCal (which is busy), is that sufficient reason?

And finally, I know Dynon has a wire to do the Comm1/Comm2 flip-flop, but I can't find a reference to "Select Radio 1" or "Select Radio 2". I was going to use the left/right on my coolie hat to select the radio, because aileron trim isn't really called for in an 8. Can anyone tell me if that is possible?

I think for most flying, 1 radio is fine. You can always use the Dual watch feature to listen to something like ATIS while also staying on TWR.

There is no select radio feature, the COM1/COM2 switch is to tell the Intercom module which radio to use (only one at a time). You would need an audio panel to really have total control over 2 COM's.

You are welcome to come up to Ramona and play with my set up any time.

Chuck,
The buttons on the SkyView radio make tuning it really, really fast. Remember, you have a active and standby frequency, so you can listen to one frequency when you're loading another. So your takeoff flow is:

Start plane.
Press ATIS on the radio (loads ATIS in SBY. It already knows what airport you are at)
Press flip flop to put it in active.
Press GND to put that in SBY
Listen to ATIS
Press Flip-Flop for GND. Taxi out on GND.
Do your run up
Press TWR to to get TWR in SBY
Flop to tower
Press ATC to get departure, or manually spin in your enroute frequency
Fly.
Flop to ATC when needed.

As much as we'd love to sell you a second radio, Dynon's system is really usable with one radio. Also, since you mentioned IFR, most IFR navigators have a radio in them. You may find that when you go to add a GPS or a NAV radio, that's when you want a second comm. However, there is NOT a legal requirement for a second COM in IFR.

I have two radios in my plane. The Dynon and the one in the Garmin GTN. I fly in Seattle, so busy-ish area. Never ever use the one in the GTN. I really believe that once you fly with the Dynon radio, the only reason you will want a second one is as a backup in case of failure, not for your workflow.

I don't know how to tell you how to consider the failure case. Less than 50% of our customers have a second radio, and the COM radio has been a pretty reliable product for us. But anything can fail. Of course, your engine can fail too, and we only have one of those...

Audio panel needed?

Hello Dynon!

I see that the Dynon intercom will handle two COMM radios. Is this setup actually useable in flight, or should I plan for an audio panel? I am planning a NAV with a COMM in it, and IFR capabilities.

Not buying too soon, but I am planning very hard!

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark, I'm doing Bill G's panel now and we are using the intercom. The unit handles two COMMs (and a NAV and EFIS audio) just fine. As you probably noticed in the docs, all that is required is an external SPDT switch to select the MK PTT routing.

Dual radio monitoring is handled by bringing the second COMM and/or NAV volume up and down as desired.

I also put one in Bobby L's panel (single COMM) and he reports good audio results.

I installed the SL30 thinking that the monitor feature would allow me to use two frequencies at once for formation flying. It doesn't really work because you can only transmit on one, and if you flip flop back and forth the monitor feature drops off and you must reselect it. Too much heads down-button pushing for formation work. Im installing a second radio soon. (If you are even considering the question, add the antenna now while you have good access under the floor pans. After the fact requires bloody knuckles :( )

2 radios

I fly with 2 radios and think I need to. One radio is built into the Garmin 430. I fly with flight following or IFR mostly cause I live in controlled airspace anyway, and I like being able to listen to other frequencies without turning off the primary frequency I'm using with ATC. So yes I have an old audio panel which works fine.

Dual Simo Comm

I am a military pilot and and am used to a two comm system that can be used simultaneously. IE - I can rock up for COMM1 and transmit, down for COMM 2 and transmit, while simultaneously monitoring both. If I don't want to hear one, I can just turn it down or off completely. I do a lot of formation flying with the RV and as a flight lead, the ability to receive and xmit on either comm without having to switch it via a comm panel is nice. I am looking into installing a Skyview touch and want to know...can I use a dual comm system this way? IE have two PTT buttons on the stick where I hear both and if I want to xmit on either one I just push its respective button? Can they be two Dynon comms with two control panels? Or can it be one Dynon and a NAV/COMM? Is this good to go for IFR legally speaking?

Thanks for the help!

Wingnut

Chuck,
The buttons on the SkyView radio make tuning it really, really fast. Remember, you have a active and standby frequency, so you can listen to one frequency when you're loading another. So your takeoff flow is:

Start plane.
Press ATIS on the radio (loads ATIS in SBY. It already knows what airport you are at)
Press flip flop to put it in active.
Press GND to put that in SBY
Listen to ATIS
Press Flip-Flop for GND. Taxi out on GND.
Do your run up
Press TWR to to get TWR in SBY
Flop to tower
Press ATC to get departure, or manually spin in your enroute frequency
Fly.
Flop to ATC when needed.

As much as we'd love to sell you a second radio, Dynon's system is really usable with one radio. Also, since you mentioned IFR, most IFR navigators have a radio in them. You may find that when you go to add a GPS or a NAV radio, that's when you want a second comm. However, there is NOT a legal requirement for a second COM in IFR.

I have two radios in my plane. The Dynon and the one in the Garmin GTN. I fly in Seattle, so busy-ish area. Never ever use the one in the GTN. I really believe that once you fly with the Dynon radio, the only reason you will want a second one is as a backup in case of failure, not for your workflow.

I don't know how to tell you how to consider the failure case. Less than 50% of our customers have a second radio, and the COM radio has been a pretty reliable product for us. But anything can fail. Of course, your engine can fail too, and we only have one of those...

Wingnut,
To start, one radio is legal for IFR. If you have a radio, you have covered the IFR requirement from a FAR perpsective.

As for two Dynon comms, you can have two with independent PTT buttons. Zero issues there. You can also use our intercom and have two radios and a NAV with zero issues. It's an uncommon setup, but no reason it won't work.

If you want to get silly, one of the Dynon radios can be a Nav/Comm if it really has to ;)

I see that the Dynon intercom will handle two COMM radios. Is this setup actually useable in flight, or should I plan for an audio panel? I am planning a NAV with a COMM in it, and IFR capabilities.

Mark,
It will work as long as you are OK with one thing. That is that to not listen to a radio, you need to turn the volume down, not de-select it on the audio panel. The Dynon intercom has no "turn off this input" selection.

If you are OK with that for your COM and NAV, then the intercom works great with 1 or 2 radios. If you want to never touch your volume knobs and de-select a radio on your audio panel, then you need an audio panel.

You can fabricate your own pseudo audio panel using discrete swiches. This link is an example but it can be applied to almost any intercom and radio combination.

Strictly speaking, only the Tx PTT switches need to be switched, the Tx audio is optional. This would also work with separate PTT pushbuttons. The Rx sources should be selected or grounded.

If the intercom has enough inputs, the separate audio mixer is not required.

The switches need to the low current devices with gold contacts rate in VA. Example, Digikey CKN1003-ND.

I think the Dynon radios, intercom plus a few switches are all that is required. the panel space and cost of a separate audio panel can be avoided.

The switches need to the low current devices with gold contacts rate in VA. Example, Digikey CKN1003-ND.

I think the Dynon radios, intercom plus a few switches are all that is required. the panel space and cost of a separate audio panel can be avoided.

Three switches and you can have a mini audio panel.

The "TX Select" can be a multi-pole to switch the PTT and "Freq. Flip/flop" lines to the radios.

A small stick-on label from Aircraft Engravers finishes the job...

audioswpanel_zps7d5e0a2d.jpg

save your money

one switch, for switching the PTT line.
I find the "turn up the volume control" method works just fine.

Back