What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Economical Panels

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am looking for some examples of economical panels you have installed in the last couple of years. I am planning on VFR basic panel for the RV7 and would like to use an EFIS instead of steam. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Here is mine:

GRT Sport SX 8.4"- $2800. Now you could look into the Sport EX, as well
Used Dynon D10 (backup EFIS) - $500 on VAF
GTR EIS 4000 - Used on VAF, $500.
Used GTX327 - $500 used, now selling for even less.
GTR200 Comm radio - $1200. This radio has a built in intercom and has functioned excellently.

You could probably build a similar panel now for under $5k.

RAmn8FK9MH_gNgcPQ_L02TiwjvfXraeMU2zKRITP7swNKFkkfPpX__lu6i0sWx9GA6JYUElTbv_3m6vuzBeaNhSeMfgcyeiPXQhPRfNvGgaIE2wsQvASkYfQm0wRnGN4K2DHNwDYUpB_Y3Sl1hmILCswE4_3ZdHx_V4EMRQCYlC_zM8tyYuAMwrtB-aLOn_QTMr3Nat7HAUlZQ9uJmZ5VB3JGQRtc84VoUezBmncGiJFIF5vhOTwCBf9osCAgyUOpsYQa5zyLkmOcx8aFhgtUlR1SF5ceUIq-c-PSf5jJQD1XetILQu1TpIRpDjm38EpGcvIKCz96RZScz-E-NQh689K8ex7R_f3H2_OAbnUdDUkUEkDa3lN0RQzUa_XncEgesy2_Ob4EwLCQxter6VSO6eMEUZ4V275lkdnAgrIf1Yf7k0wY1XGmePDa5qbepDDovVVEbw9Scv19ArIoPHI1vTHBLCA91_lF8T-jsKRksFselD2MFFq9chUtCLObkASH9Ge_hNJ84FD_gsqPOqcgbDRsEFq3dyx33AygZIeL5Ynfe2JyzTN8sJL6C_2Ch_8r4OKAt_KKH_xDUK3qu2F1vmTY5WI-OWFkbGjF52ubncItuSONBO2H4uNRp68F0v1fIPdNu3MDzsDMQMSTRFCE0nnpSMQH0Td=w960-h540-no

In the last two years of flying, I have added a Stratux for ADS-B in (~$150), as well as GRT autopilot servos ($1500). The blank covered spot in the radio stack is a pre-installed rack for a Garmin 400W IFR GPS. Also planning on adding ADS-B out via a Uavionix echo or Garm GDL82. Lastly, I have an iPad mini on a ram mount attached to the right side of the panel.

Simple panel

No pic. Used D100, D120 Dynon. Used A-200 icon, used thx 327, used garmin 496. It all works well.

Single Screen G3X, GTX327, GTR200. The GTR200 has a built in intercom which eliminates one item. G3X is easily expandable which is why I chose it. The backup ASI and Altimeter came with the project I bought, so I put them in. Can easily add iPad or other tablet to the mix which I plan to do eventually.

twCKT8QwPuMeO3UgnAlpARAp7UVy04bZ_5vz348723Hywv3PV7NjwryjegWLj6XfYpdjBsRFsJCWyyF1AdnpsspK_BY0MwpWlcsIMs7YiVLgrBmj9JgBWkJS1j6DjqqY0Cts5d0H7vdjjQheh_bYn3UNHQSLEeS_wVkS_ATApltGPMtM48B42iOMsp8vqzVKPJ5m7uGVbYxsnrIzpuqa6Hk_ni5s9RFIdEAPTqT1frNw1ij9-jPCT_Nc59vG5qwaOdjpQ8VbB1mH94QLLLACSNQRGPWRKcuxZssOQ6OLajmmBNz3UDNEsgQeSS46tO7Eh_LaBs9J8m3fLFYaICZMJKe5q_WEeQ8khM63PM9nO4Ubyw6ARgjwtPonJSvKCkPkwQBtfmBawX3Fe5H2mT7ZfwugMx-bKGy7ollkq7lAIQmtrrFQAVry-qlPIY0msu9Ib-e46Sjf9_xm1jjqgnI4ttS7YvnIiWLnwWACo0wQIb4VmESQg17jQVgOh8s6M4ZZT4NG0q11s_gDkRIvfKD4G1kss8-IyUI6R7U2ZAOeezZA9V4F9fyige1o4XkMgWWVxXQ_I63pMe7tFlp9kk0i0NCl5d_Kfh5Biu73sMgUvUH-vYuYO2EVc9yClHcRsZUWS4X9M8xroJtaMEWb6hoFGd4N5HPqYgHAow=w1080-no

I found a 'deal' on a used AFS4500 including the engine module a couple of years ago. But if I'd waited (it's still not flying), today I could buy two GRT Minis or Garmin G5s, and add an MGL engine monitor for the same money. Smaller screens, but redundant and easier to arrange in the panel than the bigger AFS4500.

For VFR, I can't see how you can beat the entry level small screen EFISs from the various mfgrs these days. Somebody mentioned the Avmap Ultra a while back; there are some youtube videos showing it in operation and a long-term experience report, as well. Spruce is selling it (everything including GPS) for ~$900.

Charlie

I recently "upgraded" to a D180 and it is augmented by the existing D10A, an HS34, GTX327, and the one big ticket item, the GTN650. The 327 could be remote mounted to free up space, but don't need to in this config. The 180 is great with the exception of me looking for a more capable autopilot.

I have resigned myself to being 1 or 2 generations behind the early adopters and am happy with their hand me downs.

For nav add an iFly 740 GPS. For another $130 purchase a Ping Buddy that plugs into the iFly USB port and you have ADS-B IN. I would consider purchasing a used D-180.

Thanks for all the input. It is nice to know there are folks that start with the basics. I would love to have an IFR panel but getting this thing finished and in the air is my goal. I can spend the rest of my time adding as $$ allow.

xvfGWIoh.jpg

Just finished this upgrade. GRT Sport SX 8.4" with synthetic vision, GRT EIS 4000 engine monitor. Tucked behind the EFIS is a GRT Safely/Echo UAT Ads-b in and out. Garmin GTX 327 was purchased used on Ebay for $400.00.

Minus the Icom 210, Trio EZ Pilot, PS 4000 intercom IFly and AI, Alt,etc, the upgrade cost just over $6500.

Here is mine as it is going in. A/S, VSI. ALT. Tach, T&B, 1 comm, 1 transponder, fuel tank L/R, fuel pressure, Amp, oil temp/ oil pressure, breakers, trim and a Garmin 796. I think I have about $3500.00 total invested.

21151376_10212123452699640_8097499561584764321_n_zpsyvfhqaus.jpg

Photobucket errors

I get this error message - perhaps upload the image to imgur or another site? Thanks!

EAGxWWv.png

I love this thread! I'm so sick of seeing panels that are worth more than my entire airplane. My radio stack has one Icom radio, a Garmin transponder, and no audio panel. My flight instruments are all steam gauges except for my Dynon D-6 which doubles as a DG and AI. Engine instruments are all analog except for my JPI-700 engine monitor and my Davtron 5-in-1 gauge. I also have a Davtron GMT/FT/ET clock. I navigate with Stratus/iPad/Foreflight. I left a slot in my radio stack for a Garmin GNS-430W, but will probably never install one unless the price comes down.

Very economical

Here’s mine and it was quite inexpensive.
A used 7 inch dynon skyview
Used ASI & ALT
Used Garmin GTX-327
New Garmin GTR-200 com radio
IPAD Pro running ForeFlight connected via WiFi to the skyview thereby using its AHARS and gps antenna. Can also send and receive flightplans between the two units.

I already had the IPad so the whole panel cost me around $3500 USD. It’s obviously not the flashiest but I like it and with two kids heading off to university it’ll be staying for a while :)

Solid VFR that I fly through some of the busiest airspace around. Works beautifully. You really don’t have to spend a fortune if you’re looking to fly VFR comfortably.

Forgive the clamp on the cabin heat, the friction needed adjusting.
0216_C7_EC-_DA5_B-4_B4_E-_B44_E-5_B2_E1_E7_AA6_D8.jpg

C2_F124_A2-808_F-42_F0-_A60_B-5293_EE19_A48_D.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. It is nice to know there are folks that start with the basics. I would love to have an IFR panel but getting this thing finished and in the air is my goal. I can spend the rest of my time adding as $$ allow.

Ditto. That's what I did 13 years ago. Getting the thing finished and in the air was paramount. A basic "steam gage" VFR panel and gps will take you far. Those same "steam gages" have now become the backups for my G3X screens.

I like it Simon. Sure looks like there are some good deals out there on good used equipment. They may be a few years old but much more modern than the panels in most Cessnas and Pipers I have flown.

Is this a thing we can really do? My cursory search hasn't found anything to indicate the passenger warning can be removed after Phase 1?

Simon lives in Canada. I do not know the Canadian requirements BUT in the USA, the Experimental PAX warning is required to be installed at all times.

Is this a thing we can really do? My cursory search hasn't found anything to indicate the passenger warning can be removed after Phase 1?

I think you mis-read. He is in Canada, and during phase 1 was required to have a ?no passengers? placard. Not required in the US. Here in the US, you must have and may not remove the ?passenger warning? placard.

I think you mis-read. He is in Canada, and during phase 1 was required to have a “no passengers” placard. Not required in the US. Here in the US, you must have and may not remove the “passenger warning” placard.

Ah, sure did, missed the No pax part. Makes sense now.

iPad as EFIS

Simon (and anyone else out there who has a similar panel),

I would love to hear more about your experience using the iPad as an EFIS. I've been working on an a dedicated EFIS app (as opposed to an EFB app with a PFD screen). Any usability issues? Has heat, cold, or glare been a particular issue? How well does the touch interface hold up in bumpy air? Any limitations that result from the limited I/O capabilities (i.e. no serial ports)? Any features you think would significantly improve the experience?

Thanks in advance!

-S

iPad useability

Hi Steve, I’ve been using the IPad with foreflight for some years now so I wanted it in the RV and don’t regret that decision at all. It’s paired up with the skyview via WiFi so I get the ahars and gps connectivity. I create my flight plans at home then when in the plane I send it to the skyview and I’m off.

As for brightness, I’ve had no problem even on the sunniest of days but I’m using a PRO which is much brighter than the older iPads. The touch features can be an inconvenience in turbulence but that’s all, it’s manageable. I would like to be able to have have an external ads-b unit supply weather and traffic to the ipad and that can’t happen if connected to the skyview. Perhaps there is a blue tooth solution...

All in all it’s a great platform for VFR flying and a fantastic aid to IFR flying at work.

Hope that helps,

Best regards

Simon

Last edited:
Simple panel

RV-7, first flight July 2014

10" Dynon Skyview
MGL V6 comm/intercom

Lots of room for expansion!

AF1QipPYCjgl9flksySwPkvv2jT0gM_IE6ANB7Ovi6th

Warren
RV-7