What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Somewhere between Paint and Vinyl Wrap

When I bought my plane it was all white. I contact a company that specializes in Plasti-dip. They came out, looked at my plane and said that they be able to shoot the whole airplane for $2-300. I nearly signed but decided instead to go with my custom hangar vinyl job. It looks good. I never inteded it to be permanent. I just can't decide what I want it to look like permanently.

T

the longer video

suggested it would need peeling off and re-doing every 2 years or so. I think not.

It looks to be way more forgiving an application than paint.

So this is one of those times when I'm glad to be so far from reaching that stage. Y'all try it and report back; I'll wait. :D

I need to learn more about how this stuff does with stripes, butted colors, graphics on top of color and so forth, as well as repair to damaged sections. Looks like I have some you-tube time ahead this weekend.

Not fuel resistant

I think I read a reference on the site to it not being fuel resistant. They cautioned to be careful when filling your car with gas. Keep that in mind.

Not really a long term test point, but I've flown for 4 months and about 30 hours with the plastidip paint on my spinner and stab tips.

Only delamination so far is on spinner mounting screws.

Fellow RV12 friend, Dick Gossen, applied same paint job (different color so we could tell our ships apart while parked side by side at OSH) and experienced some delamination on his spinner.

Neither of us did a particularly good job on the prep or application.

It seems perfect for testing trim paint schemes, just make sure enough is applied to allow easy removal...

I just have visions of a sheet of this stuff peeling of the wing at 170 knts and getting stuck on the vertical. 😳

I have wrapped several cars in both vinyl and plastidip and would not recommend covering an entire airplane in plastidip. I would also be a afraid of a big sheet coming off and interfering with a control surface. I have seen plastidipped panels begin to delaminate on cars fairly quickly and would not want that happening at 170 knots.
When it comes time on my 7 project, the plan is to paint the entire aircraft white and apply vinyl for the colored stripes or patterns. I have applied vinyl decals on a few jets and they have had no issues after several years and 450+ knots

In my opinion, vinyl wrap is much more practical and gives awesome look too. My vinyl wrap project was installed by Gatorwraps and I am very satisfied! You might also want to visit Gatorprints.

I didn't see any aircraft on their web site or locations outside of SOCAL. Do you mind sharing what your cost was and if you know where else they have installers? They mention that there are installers around the country.

Thanks,
John

In my opinion, vinyl wrap is much more practical and gives awesome look . My vinyl wrap project was installed by Gatorwraps and I am very satisfied! You might want to visit Gatorwraps and Gatorprints . Professionals there will be able to address all your concerns.:):)

Any more contact with the guys who do the plastidip? You still thinking about using that product?

Not a ton more contact. The one issue is that fuel can degrade the dip. I'm assuming any petroleum based product will do this, so oil on the belly is a definite concern.

I've adjusted to either vinyl wrapping the entire plane, or doing a base coat of white or grey and using vinyl or plastidip paint to add accents.

Back