What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Schematic on Excel

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Thanks to Kahuna for his help for getting a link, here is the electrical schematic that I drew on Excel for my RV.

http://www.teamrv.us/deletesoon/webbelectrical.pdf

A few notes:

Circuit breakers are on the left side. I used a 50 amp switch/cb for the avionics master. Pull breaker on the trim and auto pilot.

Right side of schematic are 2, 14-post terminal blocks. This was done so I can easily remove the panel later on. Mags leads go to a 6 lead terminal block for same reason. Mag shields not shown for clarity and allows for a 30ohm transitor jump for the Dynon EMS.

To pull the panel now, all I have to do is unplulg the EMS, un plug the auto pilot, disconnect the vacum lines, radio lines, and the 2 wires that are hot coming from the alternator to the big breaker orthe return to the buss bar from the ammeter shunt. Everything else is just a removal of 33 screws from the 3 terminal blocks.

As I get grayer and my gray matter gets less, I knew that I couldn't remember how everything was wired later on in case of repair, trouble, repair, etc.... Also, in case I have an A/P or another RVer work on the plane they will need to know (or heaven forbid I sell the plane).

Feel free to tear it up and let me know if you see any problems - now is the time to let me know. If you like it, I can send the Excel file to you email and you can modify it as you need/see fit.

Webb, I would like to see the Excel file.

I have played with some of the CAD programs to document my wiring, but they just seem to hard to learn.

I know Excel and use it all the time at work. I would like to see if I could document my wiring with you Excel file as a starting point.

byerley[at]web-ster[dot]com

Of course replace the [] stuff above.

Kent

File Sent

Gerrry, Larre, David, and Kent

Email - bombs away.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also included a front pic and 2 back picks of what the buss looks like prior to wiring.

Please look it over VERY carefully and see if you spot ANYTHING that look suspicious to you or if you have recommendations. I'm almost ready to set the panel in place and now is the time.

I'd love a copy too. Just starting my electrical work.

eddier[at]eddier[dot]com

If you like me to host a copy on my server so everyone can just grab it, I'd be happy to.

Thanks

eddier

Failed email

Eddier and Mitch757

1st email try failed. I will send again. If you don't receive, let me know and double check your email you gave. I do have a suggestion - if you go to your profile (under quick links), put your email in there. It makes it simple for me to click on it and fire away!!

As with others I have sent to, please look it over and let me know if you spot any flaws. So far, I haven't gotten any boo boos reported yet.

XL Wiring diagram

Hi Webb,

You guessed it ... can i have a copy also "please" :D

matt.segafredo[at]hawkerpacific[dot]com[dot]au

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:
Reviews please

OK you mugs - please look it over and see if you spot ANY wiring flaws. I'm not concerned with the obvious such as a switch that controls the landing lights.

Look VERY closely at things such as relays, alternator, shunt.....you know, the things that have been know to fry electrical expensive toys.

Let me know PLEASE. I'm getting ready to set the panel in soon.

No problems mentioned

Since no one has shot down the diagram, I am proceeding at full speed to finish up the subpanel wiring. Panel is wired and ready to set in place.

As I said, I am happy to share the excel file so others can make their own schematic so they know what the heck they did 3 years from now when they decide to replace half of who knows what.

Here is the front of the panel (sans avionics), and a few items still not installed but you get the ideal of why the buss bars are arranged that way.
Also, autopilot has been changed already to a 2 axis but not shown in this picture. Call me old fashioned but I still like a standard six pack.
panelfd7.jpg

Here is the main buss:
mainbusshd3.jpg

And here is the avionics buss:
avionicsbussvq8.jpg

Webb,
I have not posted because I do not consider myself adequately qualified to comment on electrical design and construction. My lack of experience is why I requested a copy of your spreadsheet.

I do like the neatness of your installation, especially the buss bar assembly. I cannot comment on any of the design issues but I would like to ask what you did for your labeling on your panel. Are the labels vinyl lettering? Any information you could provide would be helpful as I am thinking through all of the construction items associated with my own panel build.

Another question concerning your choice for circuit breakers. Was there anything specific that lead you to use CB's instead of fuses? I am thinking about using fuses to save some weight in the panel. Do you have any thoughts on CB's vs. fuses?

Oh yeah, so I will call you "Old Fashioned". I don't mind the six pack design myself at all but my thinking is the glass panels should again be able to save me some weight. That is one of the important reasons I am going with the GRT EFIS.

Schematics on Excel

I guess I am just slow on the uptake, but I could not get Turbocad to work quickly enough to stay focused. Excel, on the other hand, I am pretty good with. So, Webb, if it is not too much trouble, send one to me, too :
mlwynn(at)aol(dot)com. (or [email protected]). Is there a reason some of us spelled out the dot and at?

Todd, I am planning to use a VP 100. Your drawing was very interesting. I wonder if you can send me a copy in .xls format so I can input it into my spreadsheet and copy it shamelessly.

Regards,

Michael Wynnn

Answers

Webb,
I have not posted because I do not consider myself adequately qualified to comment on electrical design and construction. My lack of experience is why I requested a copy of your spreadsheet.

I do like the neatness of your installation, especially the buss bar assembly. I cannot comment on any of the design issues but I would like to ask what you did for your labeling on your panel. Are the labels vinyl lettering? Any information you could provide would be helpful as I am thinking through all of the construction items associated with my own panel build.

Another question concerning your choice for circuit breakers. Was there anything specific that lead you to use CB's instead of fuses? I am thinking about using fuses to save some weight in the panel. Do you have any thoughts on CB's vs. fuses?

Oh yeah, so I will call you "Old Fashioned". I don't mind the six pack design myself at all but my thinking is the glass panels should again be able to save me some weight. That is one of the important reasons I am going with the GRT EFIS.

First of all, I hope that everyone that has requested the Excel file has received and is able to use. I've tried to keep up with all requests and think I have done so. If not, let me know.

Okay - Question 1. Thanks for the compliment. Labeling is is from Pulsar. It is a dry rub technology. You put a "special" paper in a laser printer and make the equivalent of a dry rub decal. Spray some adhesive, rub on, and peel gently. Sticks like the devil if you don't immediately remove if it breaks or you goof. You'll need the kit and a laminator. I may sell mine later if I don't need to label anything else. Still have some to do. Easy to find on the web at http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/index.html Check out some of their panel labeling.

#2 - I didn't want to fool with fuses. You must carry 3 of each kind to be legal and I know good and well I don't want to mess with them while flying. I can also pull a trim or autopilot breaker if the things go haywire on me. Try that in a pressure situation with a fuse. Weight is not that great. You'll burn that off taxing to the runway. Also, many of the circuit breakers serve as switches. You have to have switches anyway, might as well be circuit breakers. I also did NOT want a prebuilt circuit box because its much easier and cheaper to replace 1 bad breaker. If traveling, you can potentially steal a breaker and slip it into service in a pinch. Also, as far as weight, there are things in the panel that weigh more than all breakers combined such as one piece of avionics. Want to really lose the weight, go through the brain bag for old charts/plates/etc....and get rid of them.

#3 - Old fashioned it is. Good drink too. Seriously, I gave a great deal of thought about this. I learned on a standard six pack and find it is an easy scan when I'm in true IFR. I also have mixed emotions regarding glass. If so dependable, why the back up instruments that you find in a standard panel. Blow one standard instrument, replace it. Blow one output transitor, no EFIS. Yes, I have a few more pounds and less free space on the panel, but that's the route I choose to go. I love the ideal but not just quite sold on it. That's one reason I have both electric and vaccum. It also seems there is a thread going on how long should an EFIS last? Way computers are going, who knows. I tried to set it up that anybody could sit left seat and fly (hear that kahuna - when you come to test fly).

I have a few personal preferences that I know will cost me about 20 pounds. Since I need to lose about 20, the plane and I are even by the time the end of the year comes. Nuff said on weight. Better yet, I just have to get the bride to pack a bit lighter. Also a good trip to the potty will save on poundage too!!

Whatever you decide, keep your design with scan in mind. Keep breakers and switches so you can easily put your hand on the right one without looking. Put critical switches and breakers where you won't accidently turn off such as the avionics master. Drawer the panel out for asethetics and then close your eyes and touch the entire panel in your mind. Does it work? How will you handle total IFR and not let your eyes wander far from the critical T? Again, nuff said.

I'll shoot a picture of the panel back with wiring to share later.

Found a mistake

Rafael and Gerald - I will resend. I made a change but sent you the incorrect diagram.

For those that got my schematic earlier, here is the error:

- Power leaving the trim terminal position #1 on the lower terminal block should go to the switch, not the servo. Ground has also been added to the switch.
- The 1 amp (4th down) breaker also feeds the Trim LED.
- The Trim LED also connects to ground.

The block to the left of the lower terminal block, position 6, 7, and 8 should be labeled Trim LED. The Ray Allen trim LED has 6 wires (hot, ground, dimmer, and 3 to servo). DImmer wire not shown for clarity. My diagram has white listed as wire 6 to servo because that is what I had. Ray Allen lists it as green.

In addition, there are some grounds that have not been shown when obvious.

Here is panel is ready to install. Notice the jumper from the main over to the avionics. The avionics master switch is also a 50 amp breaker.

Main:
mainin6.jpg

Avionics:
avionicsiw9.jpg

Panel Back:
panelbackcn4.jpg

Last edited:
Hope I got everyone

I tried to email out to all the corrected excel sheet dated today. If you didn't get or would like a copy, please email me directly at

[email protected]

and I will reply with the excel attachment.

Webb,
Rather than trying to email everyone. Send it to me and Ill put it up for everyone to download.

I would also like to load it into Open Office and see how it looks there.
For the uninitiated, Open Office is a free Microsoft office like package. Probably in the top 5 of all open source products available. In dailly operation you would not notice the difference between it and Microsoft. It has Word, PowerPoint, Excell, and others in the package. If you dont want to purchase MS office for home, then DONT. Use Open Office.
Its Free Free Free, and no spam/advertising ****. This is the real deal.
Best,

Sent to Kahuna

Webb,
Rather than trying to email everyone. Send it to me and Ill put it up for everyone to download.

I would also like to load it into Open Office and see how it looks there.
For the uninitiated, Open Office is a free Microsoft office like package. Probably in the top 5 of all open source products available. In dailly operation you would not notice the difference between it and Microsoft. It has Word, PowerPoint, Excell, and others in the package. If you dont want to purchase MS office for home, then DONT. Use Open Office.
Its Free Free Free, and no spam/advertising ****. This is the real deal.
Best,

Mission completed as ordered!!!

Once loaded, this would definately be a much easier way. Thanks for the help and the offer.

I'm interested in see this one work. Looks like there might have the be a new button next to the "insert Pics" one.

Again, thank you for the help.

Is it possible to get an update to this link?

Welcome to VAF! You might need to be patient here - you just revived a thread that's been dormant for almost 8 years.

If you'd like, please feel free and encouraged to start a new thread and let us know what you're looking to do. You'll undoubtedly receive lots of good input from many smart and experienced minds.

I too would like to receive a copy of the excel diagrams. Thanks in advance, my email is:

deeneogden(at)gmail.com

Can't find the file

Folks, I wish I could provide the spreadsheet for the schematic. I sold my RV several years ago and didn't keep up the file. I think the computer is in storage after moving.

That being said, there was such a demand for it, Kahuna was able to post it but that link doesn't exist any more.

He may have a copy or somebody out there may have a copy. It is hopeful that they can provide it.

When I wrote it, it wasn't hard, just took time.

Merge several cells together for the busses you want and then use a cell for each load. Start simple and work from there. Master switch to essential buss. Essential buss through avionics master to avionics buss.

Start connecting the circuits. Indicate circuit breaker size or breaker switches w/ size.

Add in starter switch, battery, solenoids, mags, etc?

Half the fun was in the planning. Doing a good job makes tracing issues later on.

Good luck if you have to start from scratch. Hopefully, somebody out there still has a copy.

Back