What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interfacing Autopilot to WinXP tablet PC

starkw1

I am considering one of the Win XP moving map systems that run on tablet PC's and would like to interface this system to a TruTrack autopilot.

Has anyone tried this, and what are the challenges with the interfaces between the GPS (such as a Garmin GPS 36 or Anywhere Map GPS), the tablet PC (which generally have one or two USB ports), and an autopilot.

Warren
RV-7
Plymouth, MN

Which moving map software are you considering? I have a tablet that I use for navigation and would be interested in doing something similar.

Scott

From a system standpoint, I am interested in four things that will play together:

1. Moving map GPS with display larger than Ipaq; having had a couple of handheld GPS's, and a Palm and Ipaq 5555 for work, I would really like a larger display than any of these. To me, one of the smaller tablet PC's, the Raven from Control Vision, Avmap EKP IV, or the Navaero T*pad 800 are about the right size display.

2. Software: I've looked at the Anywhere Map, True Flight (which will run on the NaqvAereo tpad systgem), and AirGator! All of these vendors have WinXP versions of their software availability

3. Capability to add WxWorx in the future

4. TruTrack autopilot

I know just enough to be dangerous, so the trick for me is to understanding all the system requirements so various compatible components can be identified.

Any thoughts from those who have gone before is much appreciated.

Warren

I went through pretty much the same decision making process you did. The ipaq Screen is too small and many of the tablets are too big. May I suggest the Fujitsu LT P-600 as a low cost alternative to some of the systems you mentioned? I ended up going with a Fujitsu ST4121 because I really liked the display.I currently use Airplan with WeatherTap as my moving map with weather solution.I'll probably upgrade to Anywhere Map XP when my current subscription expires. Interfacing to an autopilot is intriguing. I'm curious to see how you do it.

Scott

Another option might be the "car computers" that seem to be emerging.

See http://www.xenarc.com/product/cp1000.html
or
http://dynamixcomputers.com/index.html

I have never seen any of these systems, but form factor and capibility seem about right. Several small LCD touchscreen displays are also available.

Also, I corresponded with NavAir people recently and they indicate that their software does not now have a NEMA 0183 output, but will at some point in the future. From what I have heard, the NEMA output in the AWM pocket PC system is not standard and will not (or may not) reliably drive TruTrak's autopilot; not sure about the AWM Win XP system.

Warren

Back