What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 - 25 hours

herve-RV7

I am currently flying the phase one for a total of 25 hours. Is it the real flight time which is considered here or is it the hobbs time. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Technically, it's "flight" time. Taxiing doesn't count.

I guess the terminology is different between Canada and the US? Up here, "Flight time" starts when the aircraft begins moving under its own power (including taxiing), and stops when you power-down the airplane. "Air Time" is wheels-up to wheels-down. Flight time is what pilots are supposed to enter in their personal log books. I use Hobbs time as a surrogate for Flight Time and I use Tach Time as a surrogate for Air Time.

To be on the safe side, I use Hobbs time for my maintenance intervals (oil changes etc). For my test flight period (25 hours), I used Air time and flew an extra couple of hours just so there could be no argument when I submitted the paperwork. Technically it's supposed to be 25 hours *after* you've corrected all deficiencies found during test flying. I had to correct some baffling after my first hour so I started the 25-hour clock after that fix.

the only thing the faa sees is the hobbs time. Go with that. What goes in your log book and recorded for the phase 1 is what you go by. You personally, well phase 1 is done when you say it is beyond those 25 hrs of hobbs time. If you don't think it's ready to get out of phase 1 that's your decision.

From CFR 14 Part 1...

Flight time means:

(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or

(2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when the glider comes to rest after landing.

Interesting... my operating limitations say: "This aircraft must be operated for at least 40 hours in the assigned geographic area"

I would think taxi time counts as "operating." Any official word from the FAA on this?

-Rob

Back