- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Instrument Flight Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Flight Following

I always wondered about this, when requesting flight following I believe the correct phraseology is "...request flight following to...". If you're at the start of a very long journey, do you tell the controller your ultimate destination or just use a semi local point in the correct direction for the time being? If this is the case, how do you fess up during the last hand off? Do you just advise ATC of a new, farther away, destination? What if you need to make a couple of zig zags in your route? For example, "...flight following to Mayberry International via Haypatch Airport, Fudpucker VOR, and Bob's Airport..." Do you need to tell ATC all of those in the initial call?

I was on flight following in the LA basin once and when I got ready to make a course correction and decend I advised ATC what I was doing. I didn't ask for permission. He responded as though he was approving my course correction. I don't need an approval to change course or altitude while in flight following mode right? Do I need to advise ATC of course corrections at all?

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!

2020 donation: complete
Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM

he was confirming it, not approving it- just reading it back i believe
Old 06-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Default Here's another one...

Do you have to be cleared (i.e. "frequency change approved") once clear of a given controlled airspace. I heard the local Class D controller change frequencies to "catch" a pilot that had transitioned his airspace, and then switched frequencies to his home airport. This is something that I have always done (I frequently transition the Class D as it is between my "cheap" fuel airport and my home airport) and have never heard them approve my freq. change (nor have they ever "busted" me like they did this other pilot.) Sometimes they'll inform me that there is no traffic between me and my home airport (about 2 miles outside of the class D), and other times I don't hear anything and just change frequencies once I'm clear of the Class D airspace.

So what is correct?
RV-8 (sold)
Xtreme Decathlon (borrowing)
Old 06-18-2010, 01:47 PM

ArVee, I would prefer the pilot requesting advisories to give me his true destination. If it is a very obscure place that would not be recognized by the controller then perhaps include the state or major city so he knows your general direction. If you want to zigzag then I would tell the controller I am flying to "so and so" VIA whatever point (vor, airport, landmark). As far as the controller "approving" your course correction or altitude change...you are right, you do not need controller approval. But you are asking for a service and this type of "advisement" helps the controller to provide that service. Often times I will advise a pilot to hold off on his intended change of course or altitude to avoid traffic, weather, etc.

RBD...I am not sure I understand your question fully. But I believe it to be good ettiquette to announce your intention to change freqs. I personally hate when pilots change over on their own without giving me the heads up. In simple terms, you used the controller to cut through his yard, you could at least say "Bye" when you leave. Just a nicer thing to do.

Not sure I understand the "catching" thing though. If a pilot violated some airspace, sometimes letting him know discretely that we saw him is just a way to say "Hey, no harm no foul, but call me next time you transit my airspace" instead of formally getting FSDO involved.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:59 PM

I've got a question similar to one you've already answered, regarding changes of course while under flight following.

When I'm on VFR flight following and I want to climb/descend I always state "SoCal approach 96H would like to climb to XXX, if that's not a problem for you."

Since I'm VFR I know I don't need ATC approval, but I don't want to just climb/descend/change course without letting them know, and don't want to do it if it's going to interfere with other traffic they're handling.

So my question is, is this an appropriate way to advise ATC I want to make a change?

Thanks so much for offering up your expertise/experience as an ATC controller, it is much appreciated
!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 PM

JTrusso...that sounds like an excellent way to inform the controller of your intentions.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
Skybolt...the ATIS is there for a reason...in fact, several reasons. The controller providing approach control services to a controlled airport is REQUIRED to make sure you have the appropriate weather and runway in use before entering the pattern. So if you are unable to get the ATIS the controller will make sure you have the weather but they will not be happy about it. Also, as mentioned, the ATIS will provide a bit more than just weather and runway so it is just the smart thing to do even if it is a pain to dial it in. Many ATIS's broadcast on the VOR frequency so that should alleviate the need to switch RADIO frequencies, you can simply listen in on the NAV radio.
Thanks for the info, I realize that the ATIS is there for a reason and am not advocating skipping it, I am wondering if there is any regulation making it mandatory, I have not been able to find one and I am guessing by your response there isn't one. I think ATIS is a great idea just that there are a few situations now and then where I think it is counterproductive. I will check the VOR frequency for my airport next time I am up, thanks for that tip.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Skybolt....I sort of cringed when i re-read my reply. It does come off kinda harsh but that was not my intent. And the tip on the VOR freq might not work for you. I just know that MY airport uses the VOR freq to broadcast the ATIS. Not ALL are like that.

On a side note....I always found it funny when a pilot came in and said "I can't get the ATIS because my radio doesn't go that low" (108.2) I chuckled because I know he was trying his COMM radio and not the NAV radio. (They use a different freq range)
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
On a side note....I always found it funny when a pilot came in and said "I can't get the ATIS because my radio doesn't go that low" (108.2) I chuckled because I know he was trying his COMM radio and not the NAV radio. (They use a different freq range)
That would be me. As I only have a comm radio and no VOR NAV radio. I think that will become more common.

Thanks for the input. This is very helpful.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 PM

What's this V O R radio you guys keep talking about? Is that some kind of antique radio?
USAF Vet, High School RV-12 Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>