What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools and equipment

Sieldan

Greetings all.

Been lurking for a while now soaking up all I can. Also I have been to a couple f local chapter meetings as my work schedule has allowed.

As I near pulling the trigger on a -9 (not -9A) build I am looking to establish my shop tooling. As such, would it be better to piece meal it together following the tool list Van?s publishes or would it be better to get a package or kit from BrownTool, AircraftSpruce, or the like?

I intend on getting the practice kit and tool box kit first, then the empanage. Initially I will be building in my spare bedroom as I have my garage/shop built.

Thanks all!

There are lots of tools you can piece meal. I already had a lot of the tools needed when I started. Items like files, snips, drills. I think most of the tool suppliers of complete kits will allow you to delete items you already have. I bought my tool kit from Avery when they were still around. What ever tool kit you buy will just be a starting point. I added numerous tools as I went. As far as the riveting stuff, be sure to get a tungsten bucking bar. No substitute for having that! I would also recommend the pneumatic squeezer with an adjustable set, and various yokes. Expensive for sure, but I couldn't imagine trying to build without one.
Also, if your spare bedroom has carpeting, you will ruin it with all of the metal shavings from match drilling. You'll be tracking metal around your house for years.

Probably get a kit first

Hi,

I've been building a -9 for most of the past year, and I started out buying tools piecemeal. I thought initially this would be ok, but the costs of shipping (to Australia) probably meant that was a bad overall decision.

I suggest you get a kit, from either Brown or Cleaveland, which will have 95% of what you'll need for the entire plane, then just add to it as you get a special need for something else. There are changes you can make, such as if you already own a good battery drill then you could forgo purchasing a pneumatic drill, but consider buying several different types of de-burring tools as each one will be useful in a different scenario. Buy good quality tools, as with cheap ones you'll end up just paying more in either re-work or ditching the cheap tool & buying a good one as a replacement.

I would suggest you just buy the minimum tools required until you decide you really like working on this type of project. I started that way and then started making more substantial tool orders as I went along. I didn?t buy a full tool kit, but I bought the specific tools that I wanted from different tool vendors. On the flip side buying a full tool kit will get you going faster. You will still end up buying more tools no matter what.

I started out with some simple tools when I was working on the practice kit. That effort showed me what other tools I needed to get. Like other have said, instead of flopping $2K on a brand new tool set, I just bought my tools piecemeal because the airplane building will span a few years so I have time to shop around. Same for clecos, I bough my clecos in batches from Browntools, whenever I needed more of them.

I have an advantage of living within 30 minutes from McMaster-Carr and Aircraft Spruce is if I really need some extra hardware, drill bits, or tools, I could easily get it on Saturday morning without having to wait for a week long shipping from Vans or other big aircraft tool retailers.

Have you taken a building class? I highly suggest it. I took the one by Troy Grover when he was in Indiana. My wife and both my daughters took the class. He is in the Denver area and I think that he still teaches the class. You learn a lot of the basics and some things that you would have never thought of. In addition, you get to see the tools he uses. You build a small section of an aileron or flap--not sure which. You will also determine at that point whether you want a hand dimpler or an automatic one.

I also bought part of a tool kit and filled in with stuff from various places. Troy has a great tool list as well.

cheers

I bought a tool kit but I recommend if possible to attend a rv builders course. I went to one near Atlanta and it was worth its weight in gold as far as getting experience with the tools, learning what you need, and also I came home with my tail kit built. The course I went to was a week long.

I sat with a previous builder, had him review the kit list and crossed off what wasn’t necessary. Also borrowed unique, infrequently or specialty tools from him. Saved some money in the end and later purchased additional as required. Worked well. Find a builder close by if possible to help coach.

tool bargains

There are lots of tools out there that will never get used again. Decide what you need to get started and advertise here :)

Back