What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Rib Tooling Hole

BigD

Well Known Member
I'm probably thinking too hard about how to cover these holes up - just seems a little counterintuitive to add holes to attach a cover plate for a hole...I've seen the solution of a size 6 A rivet but assuming I make a little plate, would it make a difference if i dimpled the holes for the attaching rivets or countersunk enough to use a 1097 rivet, which is the way I'm leaning? I'm also assuming that the sealant by itself is not enough to hold an approximately 1 inch square plate on reliably...

==dave==

Yep, you are over thinking it.

Why do you want to plug one hole with one rivet by drilling a number of other holes and then riveting a plate over it with multiple rivets.

Sounds like you are taking one possible leak and converting it to a number of possible leaks.

Just me $.02

Soft rivets

I have some soft rivets for the tooling hole. If you can wait a few days, send me your address and I'll drop a few in the mail.

Rivets

We just plugged the holes 3 days ago with 6's. They fit perfect, bucked them with a 4x, dob with proseal, done. I don't know why Vans doesn't just supply 12 rivets and change the plans. The patch thing seems kind've silly.
Don

simplest option...

I just prosealed a little piece of aluminum scrap over those holes. Your assumption that proseal alone won't hold it in-place is incorrect. Heck, my NACA vents and static ports are all attached with nothing but proseal and they ain't coming off.

Last edited:
I just prosealed a little piece of aluminum scrap over those holes. Your assumption that proseal alone won't hold it in-place is incorrect. Heck, my NACA vents and static ports are all attached with nothing but proseal and they ain't coming off.

I second that.:D

I've got a bunch of soft 6- rivets and an extra 6 rivet set. I bought it not realizing I already had one. It's just taking up space in my tool box right now, so it's yours if you'd like. Just pay the shipping.

Last edited:
I probably should have been a little more clear - my concern was, if not opting for the rivet solution, what's required to attach and seal a little cover plate. Sounds like pro seal by itself has worked for others, and the rivets, other than setting them, seem pretty straightforward. Thanks for the replies and I will be acquiring some rivets from the generous and helpful people of this forum. I know it's bad luck to forecast a finish time, but should be ready for a leak check in 3-4 weeks (I think that's vague enough...)

==dave==

Simple is Better

I'm probably thinking too hard about how to cover these holes up....
The RV is not to be compared with a combat jet but it is an aircraft. For reasons beyond my limited understanding, the engineering department always insisted that tooling holes were to be filled. In the F-15, F-18 and other production shops I worked, by directive we routinely plugged tooling holes using AD6 rivets. Based upon that experience, I incorporated the same standard when I built my RV's.

2ut2skk.jpg

I used a wet -6 rivet, then prosealed both sides. If I was going to install a patch, I would definitely use 3 -3 rivets to attach. More than likely, a patch with proseal would never leak. If it did, you would have big problems and a repair that would require much more work than that -6 rivet.

Back