What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

squeeking brakes

prkaye

Well Known Member
My brakes make a fairly loud squeeking/creeking noise when the wheels are at very low speeds (just about to come to a stop).
Is this a cause for concern?

Last edited:
you could bevel the back edge of the pad to help stop it.

How do you mean? Is this a common thing to do? Would i disassemble the brake and then take a file to the pad?

I had a similar problem which seemed to be related to a cracked flare on the tubing at the caliper. A little brake fluid (5606) between the pad and the rotor was the cause of the noise. I was able to cut off and re-flare the tube to clear up the issue.

I had the same

Also are you sure that the brakes are free? Meaning that they are not dragging.

Against better advise I decided to stick with the Vans setup (no return springs on the brake pedals) but sure enough the brakes were dragging to a point where paint started blistering because of the heat and directional control on rollout was an issue (after lightly tapping the brakes.)
I had the squeeking and squeeling from the brakes while moving the a/c on the ground.

Simple trip to the hardware store fixed that and the brakes feel firmer and more responsive to boot.

Yes, I have return springs on my brakes. The noise I am getting is definately only present when i'm applying pressure, just as the brakes are closing at the wheel is coming to a stop. I get no noise at all when the brakes are open.

Doubtful I have a cracked flare as I have stainless steel flexible bonaco lines running down the gear legs to the brakes.

I have braided lines and never have any squeal...

Did you properly break the pads/disc in per the directions?

I can't imagine why braided lines would make the brake pads squeal.

Did you properly break the pads/disc in per the directions?

Nope. I didn't even realize there were directions to do this. I'll have to look back and my documentation.

There should have been a drawing with the brakes that had notes on it of how to break them in.

Like big "B" said. You should condition your brake linings. Basically, that is to get them hot & keep them hot for several minutes. Check the cleveland instructions for specifics. Are your discs standard steel, chrome, or stainless?

how often do you fly. only takes a couple days to put a rust coating on the rotor and cause this.

how often do you fly. only takes a couple days to put a rust coating on the rotor and cause this.

I'll bet you that's it. The brakes weren't squealing like this when i first started flying. Lately I've only been flying every week or two.

Use to!

Mine use to squeal. I think they quit after I changed the pads and yes I broke them in per the directions. I used Rapco replacement pads. The brake line should have nothing to do with it because when mine squealed I had brake tubes lines from the aircraft to the wheels and now I have the braided hoses.

Back