What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3rd Class Medical vs Basic Med

That is why I specified 1st class. Medicals twice a year. Not 2nd or 3rd.

Find out where your local airline pilots go to get their medicals. You will have a much better chance of passing your medicals.

Good tip. But my points about the unanticipated medical testing requirements weren't meant to imply that there were *fewer* requirements for the Class 1 ticket. On the contrary, I haven't looked at the criteria for each in a number of years, but I'd wager that there are more stringent requirements for the higher class. Thus the likelihood of a candidate needing additional testing seems like it would be greater with Class 2 than Class 3...and greater with Class 1 than the both of them. So just because you have to have them twice yearly doesn't mean they won't bite you at your next visit.

That being said, there isn't much you're going to do about it if there is. I mean, if you need a Class 1 medical for your job, then that's what you need. If additional testing is required, then you'll need additional testing. Period. So you're right that there may in fact be a more significant difference between a Class 3 medical and the BasicMed, where the Class 3 ticket doesn't really get you anything more--unless you plan on flying your own TBM 940 up to FL310.

I should be so lucky.

TB

Last edited:
Good tip. But my points about the unanticipated medical testing requirements weren't meant to imply that there were *fewer* requirements for the Class 1 ticket. On the contrary, I haven't looked at the criteria for each in a number of years, but I'd wager that there are more stringent requirements for the higher class. Thus the likelihood of a candidate needing additional testing seems like it would be greater with Class 2 than Class 3...and greater with Class 1 than the both of them. So just because you have to have them twice yearly doesn't mean they won't bite you at your next visit.

That being said, there isn't much you're going to do about it if there is. I mean, if you need a Class 1 medical for your job, then that's what you need. If additional testing is required, then you'll need additional testing. Period. So you're right that there may in fact be a more significant difference between a Class 3 medical and the BasicMed, where the Class 3 ticket doesn't really get you anything more--unless you plan on flying your own TBM 940 up to FL310.

I should be so lucky.

TB

I was just at Arlington airshow for a few hours and asked the FAA booth about BasicMed.

I have had a Class 1 for over 30 years. Every 6 months. When your job depends on it, you don't go to an "unknown" flight surgeon. The Docs want your business.
It is a symbiotic relationship. Or, you could probably come up with a few other names for it :<).

basic med

I'm an AME and offer basic med to my class 3 pilots. i have found most family physicians won't do Basic Med for various reasons. One gotcha is that if a pilot fills out the medxpress class 3 application and the the AME opens it you cannot change to basic med without completing the class 3 exam.So if you are unsure between class 3 and basic don't have the AME open your class 3 exam.

Alan Mekler MD
N668G RV10

N603NH RV12 in progress

I'm an AME and offer basic med to my class 3 pilots. i have found most family physicians won't do Basic Med for various reasons. One gotcha is that if a pilot fills out the medxpress class 3 application and the the AME opens it you cannot change to basic med without completing the class 3 exam.So if you are unsure between class 3 and basic don't have the AME open your class 3 exam.

Alan Mekler MD
N668G RV10

N603NH RV12 in progress

Interesting that you've found that most FP docs won't do BasicMeds. I didn't ask around as mine had no problem doing it, given he used to be an AME I suppose. But as an FP, I was doing DOT physicals all the time, and this would seem to have much more potential liability for the physician/clinic. I mean, I can pretty much count the number of physically-fit DOT applicants I saw on one hand. Sorry to generalize, but in my experience they're not exactly the healthiest bunch on the planet. So it would seem that the potential risk of approving someone's BasicMed application, which is very similar to a DOT form (from recollection) without the required lab work, wouldn't be all that risky.

Did you build your RV-10 Alan? I am just starting one in the next few weeks, when the empennage kit arrives.

TB

I was just at Arlington airshow for a few hours and asked the FAA booth about BasicMed.

I have had a Class 1 for over 30 years. Every 6 months. When your job depends on it, you don't go to an "unknown" flight surgeon. The Docs want your business.
It is a symbiotic relationship. Or, you could probably come up with a few other names for it :<).

Well, they only "want your business" up to a point...right? Do you really think they want your business bad enough to look the other on something that the FAA mandates they address in a certain fashion? I would think that sort of thing could jeopardize their AME status.

So while I think it's great that you have a good relationship with the AME you use (which is important, I agree), I don't think you should assume they're going to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes time to insisting you'll need additional studies on a potential issue. I think you might be surprised at the outcome.

Maybe Dr. Mekler will comment on this though, given that he's an AME now.

TB

Interesting that you've found that most FP docs won't do BasicMeds. I didn't ask around as mine had no problem doing it, given he used to be an AME I suppose. But as an FP, I was doing DOT physicals all the time, and this would seem to have much more potential liability for the physician/clinic. I mean, I can pretty much count the number of physically-fit DOT applicants I saw on one hand. Sorry to generalize, but in my experience they're not exactly the healthiest bunch on the planet. So it would seem that the potential risk of approving someone's BasicMed application, which is very similar to a DOT form (from recollection) without the required lab work, wouldn't be all that risky.

Did you build your RV-10 Alan? I am just starting one in the next few weeks, when the empennage kit arrives.

TB
no bought the rv10 built but building the 12

Wow, those things don't seem so easy to come by on the used market!

I did get the bill-of-lading from Van's today. It would seem that my empennage kit probably got shipped from the factory today, so I should see it in a week or so. It will likely take 4-5 days to get to Wisconsin.

TB

Well, they only "want your business" up to a point...right? Do you really think they want your business bad enough to look the other on something that the FAA mandates they address in a certain fashion? I would think that sort of thing could jeopardize their AME status.

So while I think it's great that you have a good relationship with the AME you use (which is important, I agree), I don't think you should assume they're going to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes time to insisting you'll need additional studies on a potential issue. I think you might be surprised at the outcome.

Maybe Dr. Mekler will comment on this though, given that he's an AME now.

TB

bought the rv10 in 2009 the last plane built by steve raddatz
Not all AMEs will do basic med. I try to use good judgement and common sense when issuing a basic med. I do require documentation from the treating physician for certain conditions.

Alan

Really it?s half the price since basic med is good for four years between doctor visits. Depending on your age for class three duration.

Which doctor did your medical? Cost?

I used

Allen E Priest, MD
6600 MERCY CT STE 210
Fair Oaks, California 95628
(916) 967-8201

I think it was $140 or $150

bought the rv10 in 2009 the last plane built by steve raddatz
Not all AMEs will do basic med. I try to use good judgement and common sense when issuing a basic med. I do require documentation from the treating physician for certain conditions.

Alan

Now there's a tragic story. I believe I met him once many years ago, as I flew out of the OSH airport and (as I recall) he was something of a regular around there for a time. I left there in 1993 to attend med school, but I would return several times per year including for the EAA Airventure. So I'll have to ask some of my flying friends down there, but his name sounds familiar to me--and the one picture I just found of him looks familiar as well.

Glad you were able to get a RV-10 from a guy who really knew how to build an aircraft.

TB

Back