VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-23-2019, 03:07 PM
RV8JD's Avatar
RV8JD RV8JD is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
My AME, who is also a Senior AME, does BasicMed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
How does s/he feel about the difference between the BasicMed and a Class 3 medical? I don't know any AMEs who also provide BasicMed, but my personal physician used to be an AME and he signed my BasicMed form this summer. I remember him telling me that the (several page) BasicMed form was more thorough than the Class 3 stuff he used to do.
TB
We didn't discuss the differences in detail, but my AME seemed fine with the BasicMed requirements. In fact, he was hoping BasicMed might reduce his workload, with more pilots getting a BasicMed sign-off from their personal physicians. My AME said he does a lot of FAA Medicals and he could then concentrate on First Class and Second Class Medicals, with a reduced number of Third Class Medicals to do. A friend also uses the same AME for BasicMed.

The clinic my personal physician is associated with would not allow him to provide a BasicMed sign-off per policy.

As a side note, I brought filled out forms for both the Third Class Medical and BasicMed to my appointment. He issued the Third Class Medical and signed the BasicMed form, both at my request. I wanted the option to fly into Canada for a couple more years, but if I didn't need that option after that, BasicMed would be good for an additional 2 years after the Third Class Medical expired (taking the BasicMed on-line course again after 2 years). He charged me $130 for both.
__________________
Carl N.
Arlington, WA (KAWO)
RV-8, 730 Tach Hours
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 08-23-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-23-2019, 03:20 PM
svyolo svyolo is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
Until the AME says you need an EKG stress test, or a stress echocardiogram...but your health insurance doesn't agree. Then "cheapest" has gone right out the window.

Think it can't happen? LOL...wrong.

I trained in Residency at a clinic with an AME on staff. I was a CFI/I at the time and gave flight reviews and instrument checks to a number of guys who got their medical tickets renewed there. And I helped them to understand why they sometimes had to pay for $1000+ studies that were't deemed necessary by their health insurance--and in some classes I spent long periods of time on the phone with specialists (usually Cardiologists) trying to determine what other tests might be covered, and whether or not it would still appease the FAA guys in OKC. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

None of these were even Class 1 medicals, by the way. The vast majority of guys who had these kinds of problems were Class 2 or 3 medicals. This was long before BasicMed, as it was in the late 1990s.

Long story short, I now get the BasicMed. I am a (retired) physician myself, and will be getting my CFI/I re-instated as soon as I can get a spot on the DPE's schedule. I probably have no intention of flying anything faster than 250 kts, that has more than 6 seats, or flies higher than FL180. Maybe things will be different in a year, and I'll have to go back and get a Class 2 medical again. But until then I'm not going to do anything more than I need to do regarding the FAA medical. Fail it once, or (more likely) get yourself into a situation where the AME says you need expensive studies that your health insurance company says you don't, and you'll be in for loads of fun...

Disclaimer:None of this post should be interpreted as offering medical advice. These comments are simply based upon my experience as a physician who also provided flight instruction at the time.

And as always...your mileage may vary.

TB
That is why I specified 1st class. Medicals twice a year. Not 2nd or 3rd.

Find out where your local airline pilots go to get their medicals. You will have a much better chance of passing your medicals.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:38 PM
tcbetka tcbetka is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: GREEN BAY
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svyolo View Post
That is why I specified 1st class. Medicals twice a year. Not 2nd or 3rd.

Find out where your local airline pilots go to get their medicals. You will have a much better chance of passing your medicals.
Good tip. But my points about the unanticipated medical testing requirements weren't meant to imply that there were *fewer* requirements for the Class 1 ticket. On the contrary, I haven't looked at the criteria for each in a number of years, but I'd wager that there are more stringent requirements for the higher class. Thus the likelihood of a candidate needing additional testing seems like it would be greater with Class 2 than Class 3...and greater with Class 1 than the both of them. So just because you have to have them twice yearly doesn't mean they won't bite you at your next visit.

That being said, there isn't much you're going to do about it if there is. I mean, if you need a Class 1 medical for your job, then that's what you need. If additional testing is required, then you'll need additional testing. Period. So you're right that there may in fact be a more significant difference between a Class 3 medical and the BasicMed, where the Class 3 ticket doesn't really get you anything more--unless you plan on flying your own TBM 940 up to FL310.

I should be so lucky.

TB
__________________
Tom Betka, CFII, A&P
RV-10 #42064
Green Bay, WI

Last edited by tcbetka : 08-23-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-25-2019, 06:37 PM
svyolo svyolo is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
Good tip. But my points about the unanticipated medical testing requirements weren't meant to imply that there were *fewer* requirements for the Class 1 ticket. On the contrary, I haven't looked at the criteria for each in a number of years, but I'd wager that there are more stringent requirements for the higher class. Thus the likelihood of a candidate needing additional testing seems like it would be greater with Class 2 than Class 3...and greater with Class 1 than the both of them. So just because you have to have them twice yearly doesn't mean they won't bite you at your next visit.

That being said, there isn't much you're going to do about it if there is. I mean, if you need a Class 1 medical for your job, then that's what you need. If additional testing is required, then you'll need additional testing. Period. So you're right that there may in fact be a more significant difference between a Class 3 medical and the BasicMed, where the Class 3 ticket doesn't really get you anything more--unless you plan on flying your own TBM 940 up to FL310.

I should be so lucky.

TB
I was just at Arlington airshow for a few hours and asked the FAA booth about BasicMed.

I have had a Class 1 for over 30 years. Every 6 months. When your job depends on it, you don't go to an "unknown" flight surgeon. The Docs want your business.
It is a symbiotic relationship. Or, you could probably come up with a few other names for it :<).
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-26-2019, 03:59 AM
amekler amekler is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gilford,NH
Posts: 84
Default basic med

I'm an AME and offer basic med to my class 3 pilots. i have found most family physicians won't do Basic Med for various reasons. One gotcha is that if a pilot fills out the medxpress class 3 application and the the AME opens it you cannot change to basic med without completing the class 3 exam.So if you are unsure between class 3 and basic don't have the AME open your class 3 exam.

Alan Mekler MD
N668G RV10

N603NH RV12 in progress
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 AM
tcbetka tcbetka is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: GREEN BAY
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amekler View Post
I'm an AME and offer basic med to my class 3 pilots. i have found most family physicians won't do Basic Med for various reasons. One gotcha is that if a pilot fills out the medxpress class 3 application and the the AME opens it you cannot change to basic med without completing the class 3 exam.So if you are unsure between class 3 and basic don't have the AME open your class 3 exam.

Alan Mekler MD
N668G RV10

N603NH RV12 in progress

Interesting that you've found that most FP docs won't do BasicMeds. I didn't ask around as mine had no problem doing it, given he used to be an AME I suppose. But as an FP, I was doing DOT physicals all the time, and this would seem to have much more potential liability for the physician/clinic. I mean, I can pretty much count the number of physically-fit DOT applicants I saw on one hand. Sorry to generalize, but in my experience they're not exactly the healthiest bunch on the planet. So it would seem that the potential risk of approving someone's BasicMed application, which is very similar to a DOT form (from recollection) without the required lab work, wouldn't be all that risky.

Did you build your RV-10 Alan? I am just starting one in the next few weeks, when the empennage kit arrives.

TB
__________________
Tom Betka, CFII, A&P
RV-10 #42064
Green Bay, WI
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM
tcbetka tcbetka is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: GREEN BAY
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svyolo View Post
I was just at Arlington airshow for a few hours and asked the FAA booth about BasicMed.

I have had a Class 1 for over 30 years. Every 6 months. When your job depends on it, you don't go to an "unknown" flight surgeon. The Docs want your business.
It is a symbiotic relationship. Or, you could probably come up with a few other names for it :<).
Well, they only "want your business" up to a point...right? Do you really think they want your business bad enough to look the other on something that the FAA mandates they address in a certain fashion? I would think that sort of thing could jeopardize their AME status.

So while I think it's great that you have a good relationship with the AME you use (which is important, I agree), I don't think you should assume they're going to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes time to insisting you'll need additional studies on a potential issue. I think you might be surprised at the outcome.

Maybe Dr. Mekler will comment on this though, given that he's an AME now.

TB
__________________
Tom Betka, CFII, A&P
RV-10 #42064
Green Bay, WI
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-26-2019, 03:21 PM
amekler amekler is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gilford,NH
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
Interesting that you've found that most FP docs won't do BasicMeds. I didn't ask around as mine had no problem doing it, given he used to be an AME I suppose. But as an FP, I was doing DOT physicals all the time, and this would seem to have much more potential liability for the physician/clinic. I mean, I can pretty much count the number of physically-fit DOT applicants I saw on one hand. Sorry to generalize, but in my experience they're not exactly the healthiest bunch on the planet. So it would seem that the potential risk of approving someone's BasicMed application, which is very similar to a DOT form (from recollection) without the required lab work, wouldn't be all that risky.

Did you build your RV-10 Alan? I am just starting one in the next few weeks, when the empennage kit arrives.

TB
no bought the rv10 built but building the 12
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM
tcbetka tcbetka is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: GREEN BAY
Posts: 50
Default

Wow, those things don't seem so easy to come by on the used market!

I did get the bill-of-lading from Van's today. It would seem that my empennage kit probably got shipped from the factory today, so I should see it in a week or so. It will likely take 4-5 days to get to Wisconsin.

TB
__________________
Tom Betka, CFII, A&P
RV-10 #42064
Green Bay, WI
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:48 PM
amekler amekler is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gilford,NH
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
Well, they only "want your business" up to a point...right? Do you really think they want your business bad enough to look the other on something that the FAA mandates they address in a certain fashion? I would think that sort of thing could jeopardize their AME status.

So while I think it's great that you have a good relationship with the AME you use (which is important, I agree), I don't think you should assume they're going to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes time to insisting you'll need additional studies on a potential issue. I think you might be surprised at the outcome.

Maybe Dr. Mekler will comment on this though, given that he's an AME now.

TB
bought the rv10 in 2009 the last plane built by steve raddatz
Not all AMEs will do basic med. I try to use good judgement and common sense when issuing a basic med. I do require documentation from the treating physician for certain conditions.

Alan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.