VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2017, 06:39 AM

Default Beast of a machine

That is a beast of a machine! I'm always surprised what businesses will surplus once their needs change, or a newer piece of equipment comes in.

I have a 36 X 36 light duty CNC router and find the programming to be the biggest obstacle for the hobbyist size pocket book. Decent 2 1/2 D stuff out there cheap, but 3D (at least that I have found) really pushes the budget. You'll have to post what programs you are using once you have that part down.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2018
Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 AM

Scott, I would think twice before ripping the old controls out, or at least keep the servo drives and the VFD's. VFD's work by converting AC into DC then back to AC, so most can be ran off single phase input. Most axis drives use step/direction inputs and work fine with Mach3, and also can be ran on single phase. I have done a couple of Mach3 conversions and helped friends do them, and in most cases we retained some parts of the controls to make reliable systems running on Mach3. Mach3/4 has its flaws and in some cases isn't as good as an older control. I have a turret lathe which uses an old Fanuc OT control and was able to modify the post-processor I use with Solidworks/HSMWorks and it works just as well as my Mach3 machines. I use CNCDrive UC100's to drive the axis drives and am very happy with them. Hope this helps.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:10 AM

Default Just keep 3-phase

I built a machine shop in my back yard. I have a 14x40 Engine Lathe, a Prototrak CNC, and a surface grinder that all run off of 3-phase. To run a third leg onto my property and pay the monthly fee was not worth it. So I bought a 15 hp 3-phase motor and wired up to produce the third phase....cost $400 for the motor and $200 for the 3-phase panel.....works like a charm!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 AM

If the control works fine I'd be hesitant to rip it out. I've got a LinuxCNC based milling machine and can tell you from experience that retrofitting with PC based controls is a never ending game. Industrial controls are much more robust, although pricy to fix. What are you planning on using for control?

Also, +1 for building a rotary phase converter if you don't have 3-phase. I've got a 7.5hp converter that cost me around $150 and runs my lathe, drill press, grinder, and air compressor. All the good machine tools are 3-phase and 3-phase tools tend to be cheaper.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:44 AM

Default Ahhhh . . . molds

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Might have some wingtip molds to have you cut in the future. About a year from now maybe.
Yeah what is what I was thinking.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 AM

Yep, it is three phase and my shop has a phase converter putting out the third leg for all of my machines. Works fine. For the first pass, I'll be retaining existing servos (SEM) and adding newer encoders and ditching the tach. The new controller will probably be Centroid. The inverters and spindles will probably stick around for a while, but I'm not going to mess with the complexities of multiple spindle control just yet.
That should get us to the point of cutting something without having to mess around with the ancient Fagor / SEM controls.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:24 AM

The old SEM DC servos use encoders with an incandescent bulb and they're difficult to align when replacing the bulb. I've replaced them with magnetic encoders, used the existing supplies and a modern servo drive.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:58 AM

Default CNC..

I knew I should have stayed in Plant Engineering...very cool stuff
RV1 N1583 "Mockingbird 1" SOLD
EAA volunteer SNF

HBC volunteer/chairman OSH
Tech counselor
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
... "No heavy loads for the next hour please." She knows that means don't turn on the clothes dryer, oven, and Air Conditioner all at the same time. She measured "her loads" and I measured "mine". We're good otherwise. ...
This is funny to me as we have 400A 3 phase from the power company (No convertors) and up until about a year ago whenever we would spin up a big spindle or run the Magnaflux machine our lights would dim a little. Then the power company was out replacing lines and doing some major upgrades so I asked the guys if there was anything they could do to help. They looked into it and found out the transformer on the power pole out front that was feeding us and the neighbor house was severely undersized. Like scary undersized.

They quickly replaced it and our power problems went away. I later found out that the neighbors had been complaining to the power company that their lights were constantly flickering and burning out lots of bulbs. Turns out our shop was causing their problems as well because of the undersized transformer!!

Very cool find you have there. We recently found a gun drilling machine for a steal of a deal also. Even though it was on the other side of the country it was still worth it!!! Keep on the lookout for some new products coming from our shop...

Last edited by Richard@Langair : 12-29-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Yep, it is three phase and my shop has a phase converter putting out the third leg for all of my machines. Works fine. For the first pass, I'll be retaining existing servos (SEM) and adding newer encoders and ditching the tach. The new controller will probably be Centroid. The inverters and spindles will probably stick around for a while, but I'm not going to mess with the complexities of multiple spindle control just yet.
That should get us to the point of cutting something without having to mess around with the ancient Fagor / SEM controls.
So you have 2 phase electrical power? How does that work?

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18