What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

trim motor

edward7048

Well Known Member
Yesterday my trim motor would not do a trim nose down move which made it not able to takeoff from a airport far from my home airport, after several
attempts of pushing on the nosedown switch it finally worked but when I
got back to my home base it quit again. Has anybody had this problem?

Yesterday my trim motor would not do a trim nose down move which made it not able to takeoff from a airport far from my home airport, after several
attempts of pushing on the nosedown switch it finally worked but when I
got back to my home base it quit again. Has anybody had this problem?

Edward - I have not personally had the problem you are experiencing but others have had similar issues and it usually is a wiring problem at the connector in the tail cone for the trim motor. The wires and connector pins are small so it is very easy to have a bad crimp there.

That is the first place I would begin looking .... with the trim motor disconnected, you could verify that when the trim switch is activated that there is voltage applied to the two leads that control the motor. The polarity will switch depending on which way the trim switch is toggled.

If that is fine, try connecting the motor back up and then gently move the wires around while someone activates the trim switch and see if the trim motor quits running ... if it does there is a bad crimp or a broken wire.

If that happens again, try hitting the up trim briefly then the down trim again.

during further testing I found that my trim motor seams to have a time out,
I found that I have to touch the switch three times to get the trim to
go from full up to full down and also the same time for the other direction.

Sounds like "runaway trim protection" imposed by the Dynon autopilot switch module. Normal behavior. Read the appropriate section of the Skyview users manual. It will explain the timeout that you are experiencing.

The problem was with the autopilot control panel, Dynon said that they have this problem with several panels due to cold solder joints.

Back