What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Stratux Support

I just flew this afternoon with Stratux displaying weather and traffic on my GRT Sport EFIS using the serial port as described in the Supplement. It worked fine.

Jim Butcher

I just flew this afternoon with Stratux displaying weather and traffic on my GRT Sport EFIS using the serial port as described in the Supplement. It worked fine.

Jim Butcher

What did you use for a USB-serial converter? The docs didn't recommend or specify anything.

Chris

Very cool.
I have a working stratux unit I'd be willing to sell for my cost.
PM me if you're interested.

I don't have the fancy case that was illustrated in the GRT doc.
I built mine while I was waiting for my Navworx box to come in, so I won't be needing it now.

Very cool.
I have a working stratux unit I'd be willing to sell for my cost.
PM me if you're interested.

I don't have the fancy case that was illustrated in the GRT doc.
I built mine while I was waiting for my Navworx box to come in, so I won't be needing it now.

I just ordered what I needed, as I already have the receiver module, but I'm sure somebody will take you up on that!

Chris

STRATUX on MGL ODYSSEY

Thank's for the update. I've been waiting for the serial output, and will give it a go on the MGL ODYSSEY.

Stratux works well on WIFI to an Android device, and I've really found having current weather valuable on my trips between northern AZ and Colorado.

Actual cost is about $50 if you have the display device. (Tablet or smartphone)
I've used it with AVARE (free) and iFly Android using the WIFI connection.

I've found the STRATUX every bit as capable as a borrowed GDL 39 without the hassle of dealing with Garmin proprietary code.

Roger Bloomfield
N51BL RV-8 just out of phase 1
N711ED RV9-A 350 hours and soon for sale

I'm out of serial ports on my Mini. Has anyone tried USB to serial, null cable and serial to USB on a GRT?

I'm out of serial ports on my Mini. Has anyone tried USB to serial, null cable and serial to USB on a GRT?

Why not just use a long USB cable?

I have a SkyRadar unit mounted in the tail section of my Glastar, with a long USB cable that plugs into the back of a GRT HX. Works fine.

You can get 15-25 foot USB extension cables from Amazon fairly cheap.

-Dj

Late model GRT EFIS (HXr, HX and SX)can accept ADS B data on a USB port. Look at the GRT ADS B page for more information. From an email I got from Chris Young today, the current Stratux software V0.8 does not write GDL 90 serial data to the USB ports. That is why the alternate image is required - it does. So to use Stratux to send GDL 90 data to a USB port, you must use the alternate image. Then you could connect a Stratux USB port directly to a GRT USB port. Eventually the serial data code will be added to the main code.

Jim Butcher

Late model GRT EFIS (HXr, HX and SX)can accept ADS B data on a USB port. Look at the GRT ADS B page for more information. From an email I got from Chris Young today, the current Stratux software V0.8 does not write GDL 90 serial data to the USB ports. That is why the alternate image is required - it does. So to use Stratux to send GDL 90 data to a USB port, you must use the alternate image. Then you could connect a Stratux USB port directly to a GRT USB port. Eventually the serial data code will be added to the main code.

Jim Butcher

Thanks for clarifying, that means I can test mine without having to get behind the panel and wire up another serial input; i brought a USB port to the panel that I can plug into.

Chris

Thank's for the update. I've been waiting for the serial output, and will give it a go on the MGL ODYSSEY.

Stratux works well on WIFI to an Android device, and I've really found having current weather valuable on my trips between northern AZ and Colorado.

Actual cost is about $50 if you have the display device. (Tablet or smartphone)
I've used it with AVARE (free) and iFly Android using the WIFI connection.

I've found the STRATUX every bit as capable as a borrowed GDL 39 without the hassle of dealing with Garmin proprietary code.

Roger Bloomfield
N51BL RV-8 just out of phase 1
N711ED RV9-A 350 hours and soon for sale

Hi Roger any pirep on using the Stratux with the odyssey? I've got the same setup and would love to get traffic and weather on the odyssey.

Thanks
Bill

If the GRT is a USB host and the Pi is also a USB host, then you cannot simply plug them together. You'd have to use USB2GO or single or dual USB to serial converters to get them to talk to each other. The Dual XGPS170 communicates to the GRT over USB (an example of a non-host USB device that works with GRT)

I have my Stratux hardwired to my Sport SX, and it is working well. I am having issues with traffic advisories being issued for ALL traffic, despite the traffic filter being set to +/- 1000ft. Here in congested airspace, that got real distracting real quick, and I silenced all audio alerts. It's still annoying to see a big red "ADV" under every target on the map, though. Anybody had this issue as well, or am I missing another setting? Thanks!

Chris

Chris,

Leaving SNF we had lots of targets too. So many it was difficult to see the airports on the map. I sent an email to Jeff at GRT informing him of this problem and suggesting he add a button to enable or disable traffic like he has for radar. Alternatively, you can go to Serial Port setup and turn off that serial input while you are in the heavy traffic area.

I also am seeing funny numbers in the radar XX minutes old. XX has been as high as 1500. But when I've needed the radar, its been there.

Be sure to keep Jeff and Greg informed as they have no experience with Stratux and need our input.

Jim Butcher

At SNF, I talked to Todd about reducing the size of the traffic alert on the SX.
He said they would put it on the wish list to enable sizing on the alert.

Chris,

Leaving SNF we had lots of targets too. So many it was difficult to see the airports on the map. I sent an email to Jeff at GRT informing him of this problem and suggesting he add a button to enable or disable traffic like he has for radar. Alternatively, you can go to Serial Port setup and turn off that serial input while you are in the heavy traffic area.

I also am seeing funny numbers in the radar XX minutes old. XX has been as high as 1500. But when I've needed the radar, its been there.

Be sure to keep Jeff and Greg informed as they have no experience with Stratux and need our input.

Jim Butcher

Yep an option to disable would be nice for sure. I have also seen the radar data shown as 958 minutes old, but see it update, and it is shown as current on Foreflight. The METARS are also current.

All in all, it's a great thing, it was just disconcerting to hear "Traffic!" about 30 times in a row!

Thanks,

Chris

Back