VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Default N18451

No pictures yet (mostly because I have not set up an account to host them) but after a couple of days getting everything ready I finally cracked open the boxes of the Emp kit. Inventory went off without a hitch and I had the rear spar pretty much built up in two hours. Only problem is I have to go to work tomorrow and then travel to Texas to sit sim support for a friend so I will be off it a few days but at least I am finally building.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Finally got around to getting a picture host.

The boxes

After a couple days bench building and organizing it is time to open the box

And about two hours later I had one of these

After a few days at work I came back to the hangar. I learned a few things making this half and the other half went together in no time. Many thanks to those of you who offered suggestions and answered my many questions.

Excuse the lousy cell phone pic. Forgot the camera at home.

Today's progress was to get the vertical stab built up.

Forgot the camera at home, AGAIN.
I am gone the next couple of days and when I get back I will break the stabs down for prep. My plan is to chromate the internals.
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 09-02-2012, 04:56 AM

Default AWESOME!!!

Hey Sam.....Congratulations!!!

I just got my tail (bought it used) and getting ready to start myself. Heading down the basement in a couple minutes. I had to do some basement prep but now it's about time to start the build!
I was able to find a deal on a QB wings and fuse too....so I have plenty of work and the shop is just about ready!!!

Are you building in a hanger...or a mini storage? Looks like storage to me

Best wishes on the build!!!

YOL BOLSON!!!!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 AM

Thumbs up!!!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Looks like good progress. Too bad these planes don't fly with just clecos
Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 AM

I bought a DRD2 for this project (money spent on good tools is never wasted). With the dimpler came the instructions for building the support platforms that sit on either side while working to support the material. As you all know the plans call for making the platforms out of plywood or MDF and they have four legs. Well, wood and I just don't get along very well. I consider it an inferior hydrocarbon and not worthy of my time. I asked a co-worker who loves working with wood if he would make them for me. He agreed. A couple days later he shows up at work with the finished product he made from scraps lying around his shop. Instead of the four legs he built square bases. The base ends are made from hard maple and the sides are birdseye maple or quarter sawn red oak. The tops are MDF but he routed the edges so nothing would catch on it. All of this is topped with four coats of polyurethane. The sharp eyed among you may have noticed the two bases are not the same size. He built them so the two pieces nest together to take up less room when not being used.
I am not sure I want to use these. I may just take them home and stare at them.

Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved

Last edited by xblueh2o : 01-12-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM

Default The Paint booth

Work has been getting the way of my days off quite a bit recently. I finally got the back shop at the house cleaned up the other day and I had a free afternoon today so I started building the paint booth. I got some cheap linoleum from the local big box store so I will have a dust free floor and I won't ruin my concrete with paint. Took a while to get the basic frame up but progress was made and I consider it a win. I'll have a little time in the afternoon again tomorrow so I am hoping to at least start getting it wrapped and sealed. I am still designing in my mind the exhaust system that has to carry the exhaust from the back shop, 35 feet through the main shop to the outside.

Floor down and the basic frame up. It will be about 9'X15' and about 10' high.
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 PM

Work is still getting in the way of my days off recently and we had a mini heat wave come through. I just couldn't bring myself to work inside the booth to finish it up when it was 104 outside and probably hotter in the booth, even with the fans running full bore.

Anyway, got the parts for the horizontal stabs washed, etched, alodined and hung in the booth. You can see part of the rear spar stiffener in the lower right hand corner of the pic. I need to rearrange where the spars are hanging and get the skins hung but I am nearly ready to spray. The alodine is much more even than the picture would lead you to believe. I also waited and took this picture at night with no flash because I wanted to see what kind of light was in the booth with only shop lights on. Looks like I could spray at night if I needed to.

I will be applying a Sherwin Williams aerospace coating. CMO72440. It's a corrosion resistant epoxy primer. It goes on very thin (read light, as in it won't weigh much). The idea is to coat areas with the corrosion resistant primer which, once assembled, will be inaccessible.
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved

Last edited by xblueh2o : 10-06-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Very slow but measurable progress.
The end of the year holiday season is a very busy time at work so I didn't get much time to work on the parts. Little bits here and there and none of it would make for very interesting pictures. Today however was another story. I had a half day in the hangar with no interruptions and made good progress.
I built up the rear spar for the HS (BTW, did anybody else baulk at using -4 length rivets to attach the 412PP to the 603PP/609PP? Measuring the rivet tail when installed had the -4 as a tad too short and -5 as too long. I ordered some -4.5s so we will see).
Once the two spars were done I started on the skin.
First two rivets down and goodness only knows how many left to go.
Man, those scratches look really bad in this pic. Rest assured they are just scuffs in real life.

I got the nose rib top and bottom riveted and stopped there. I want another set of eyes to come by and take a look before I close the skin up so a friend of mine who is an A&P IA is going to drop by and look over the work to date. Since I stopped mid stream I left myself a note so I wouldn't forget the 3 bind rivets for the HS 702/707/708.
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 PM

Realized that I had not posted an update in a while. Some nice progress has been made to date so here we go.

Here is the Horizontal Stab in work. Thank goodness for tungsten bucking bars. I have big hands so getting my hands plus a standard steel bar in the stab would have been fun. This would have been so much easier with a second person to either drive or buck.

I kept track during the build up.
When all was said and done these were the removals for the horiz stab.
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved