What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to reseal?

Sumo

I've heard a few different suggestions on what to do with this, so why not ask you all for a few more :)

For over a year, my RV-6A (with a Lycoming O-360 and a Hartzell constant speed prop) has been 'spritzing' grease a little bit on the propeller and every now and then on the windscreen.

Today, I landed and took a look at a nice stream of grease running down just one propeller blade (link to picture below).

It was pretty cold, and it's been 2 weeks since I last flew it.

I think it's time to find a prop shop? Any good ones in Colorado?

photo here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....537455572813.2059689.25200357&type=3&theater

Thanks,
-Anna

Prop Seal

Anna,
It is likely that the seal is beginning to leak. The cold weather makes the seals less pliable, and is exacerbating the seepage of grease. Unfortunately, this is not something that your local A&P can handle, and you are correct to be seeking a prop shop.
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of a shop local to you. If you are willing to pay the freight, I can recommend American Propeller in Redding, CA. http://www.ameritech-aviation.com I have used them for many props over the years and they do good work.
I read your FB page, and the comment that was made about the hub AD. The applicable AD is 2009-22-03 http://content.atp.com/ADs/pdf/092203.pdf

Last edited:
Assuming a Vans CS spinner kit, you have four long hub clamp bolts which also attach the rear spinner bulkhead. Loosen and re-torque those bolts and see if the leak goes away.

From my limited experience, once it starts leaking, your done. Hartzel has changed, or approved a change, to the seals. Instead of standard O-rings, you can now rebuild with a different seal. I am not sure what they are technically called, but the new seals are square shouldered with significantly more contact in the journal. They are said to be much better, but I won't know until I have a lot more hours on it since rebuild.

When I first flew my RV7 with a Hartzell paddle blade prop (bought used with ~ 1000 hrs in service), it too leaked grease and I would get some spitzing on the cowl and windscreen. I loosened the retainer bolts (as suggested by Dan) and retorqued, and have flown the past 100 hrs without so much as a trace of grease from the hub. Try it, you may get lucky too.

Assuming a Vans CS spinner kit, you have four long hub clamp bolts which also attach the rear spinner bulkhead. Loosen and re-torque those bolts and see if the leak goes away.

What Dan said. Mine was spitting a couple of years ago and I did just that. No issues since. The bolts that go through the spinner back plate was the issue. I think the aluminum plates seat or compress over time and you loose some torque.

Maybe the Tucson people have more money?:)

No, they lost money when props were rejected and returned stamped non-airworthy losing the ability for a second opinion.

The PHX shops did more repairs and less stamping...:)

Back